Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 PM

92 posts, read 229,064 times

Advertisements

Just wondering whether a car is even necessary considering i spend much time indoors. My vacation would probably be a trip to the beach. Possible locations would be Arlington, Riverside, Downtown areas, or even Mayport South-beach areas. Short term, i would think up to 6 MOS. stay (a year if i like it) Google maps can only show the images, my concern is do people become acclimated to the humidity, until walking becomes a normal thing, or is it just too humid to even think about coming there without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 PM

377 posts, read 877,561 times
You will definitely need a car. Jacksonville is not pedestrian-friendly and public transportation has very limited options.
No, you will not get acclimated to the humidity in a few months. I would most definitely not recommend walking in the heat of the day due to high risk of heat stroke.

That said, I am a little confused, you said you will spend most time indoors yet you are going to the beach, but via Arlington and Downtown?
Where are you planning to stay?
If you are going to live AT THE BEACH, you can get around with a bicycle easily.
But for any long distance - Jax is very spread out - you will need a car.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM

I spend most time indoors anyway. No, i meant that would be my 'once in a while' getaway, but Ty for reply. Do alot of people live downtown. I live downtown San Diego, and have not left the area in about a month. Not a real beach guy.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:52 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
A person can live anywhere without a car, it's just not easy unless your living in Riverside, San Marco, Springfield or one of the Beach communities a car would just about be mandatory. There is public transportation, but I hear its not reliable and convenient enough. The heat is a killer unless you grew up in it, it could takes years to acclimate to. Not 6 months. I have basically lived here or in some places that are much hotter and more humid my whole life, and some days I walk outside and go DAYYYUMMMM its hot today! I have also lived where its much colder than here and I prefer the heat any day over the cold.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks all. Ill rethink my destination to a large cone shaped metro, with alot of old buildings converted to studios or monthly hotels, walk friendly and low COL, with mixed demographics, and 12% housing vacancy rate. Hey, that sounds like St. Louis!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 PM

147 posts, read 286,547 times
OMG NO They dont want any sailors in St Louis trust me I know Im from St Louis and I wouldn't steer you wrong...LOL Just kidding, have you ever been to St Louis? Its a great town but actually it isn't very walkable except for maybe 3 or 4 sections Like U-City, The Hill, St Louis Place or Grand Center. The rest of St Louis County is pretty spread out kind of like New Jersey, with a lot of small townships seperated by a couple of miles. SEMPER FI LOL

Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks. I think the cost of living/renting may be cheaper than Jax, you think and i'm a homebody anyway.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
You can't get around without a car in Jacksonville, period. Done dada. Your only hope would be to live in a walkable community like Riverside/Avondale, Springfield, Murray Hill but overall, a car is your best friend in Jax.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Ty. i will rethink my destination to the two other cities on my list. St. Louis and Chicago. Seems like the more north my research takes me, the more cone shaped the metro/downtown areas are.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Here's some info about the areas metioned above, the Riverside & Avondale historic district and the Springfield historic district:

Riverside Avondale Preservation & The Historic Springfield Jacksonville Neighborhood Resource

Both are very walkable, eclectic, and rather unique areas in Jax. But RA is much more developed and vibrant. SPR is still gentrifying (hence, more.bang for your buck).

I have lots of info about these neighborhoods if you'd like, just ask. (maps, what's there & what's not, good leads, crime, events, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville