Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM

18 posts, read 26,752 times

Advertisements

Its coming down to the wire now so hopefully you guys can give me some help.

Me, my wife, my 17mo. old grandson are moving at the end of the month to JAX from Spokane, WA and need to find a 3 bedroom house for under 1k in a decent area (trying to avoid apts, condos, townhomes, duplexes, etc.).

I'll be working just off Gran Bay Parkway but don't mind a longer commute if the place is worth it.

I've talked to some coworkers who live in JAX and they say to avoid Northside, Southside, Springfield, Arlington, Westside & Mayport. That doesn't seem to really leave much else lol.

I've heard good things about Mandarin & Julington Creek area but all I seem to find are apartments.

The beaches (Atlantic, Neptune & Jax) or a few miles west of them would be nice but those that I've found are a little pricey.

Having a dog, 2 cats and trying to find a quiet place (we're home bodies that keep to our selfs) is proving harder than I first thought

- Any areas I should be focusing on (willing to go as far south as St Augustine)?
- What are Orange Park, Lakeside, St Johns & area west of the city (around Herlong) like?
- We'll be coming down to visit JAX in a couple weeks and hoping to check out some rentals and hopefully walk away with a place to move in to.
Do you know of a good rental agent that focuses on home rental?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times
Take a look at this rental found on craigslist ... 3 Bedroom Home w/ Double Car Garage (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/2498592530.html - broken link) ... Its in Argyle an area just north of Orange Park but South of I-295.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 AM

154 posts, read 323,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Take a look at this rental found on craigslist ... 3 Bedroom Home w/ Double Car Garage (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/2498592530.html - broken link) ... Its in Argyle an area just north of Orange Park but South of I-295.
I would stick with Mandarin and possibly some locations in Southside. Argyle is in Orange Park and the distance and traffic to Gran Bay Pkwy is horrible.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 AM

278 posts, read 664,455 times
There are places - but the southside may be more expensive, depending on where you live, and many owners won't even consider allowing someone with one pet, let alone two.

My wife and I rented a home on the southside in the Lakewood area a couple years ago. 3 bedrooms, two baths, big backyard, 1200 SF, and we paid $1,150. I have a friend who rents out her 2 bedroom home off of Phillips and it's probably 900 SF, $800.

You can find what you're looking for, but you'll have to be less picky about the area you're in.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,497,944 times
Lots of local property managers list their available rentals on FloridaRentalAds.com and on Rentals.com. You may want to check there, if you haven't already. The rental market around here is pretty quick to move, so if you find something you like, be ready to make application and pay a holding fee, if available, or even the entire security deposit.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldee View Post
I would stick with Mandarin and possibly some locations in Southside. Argyle is in Orange Park and the distance and traffic to Gran Bay Pkwy is horrible.
Mandarin traffic can be just as bad and rents are generally cheaper in Argyle than they are in the Mandarin area. Plus once they finish the new interchange, at Collins Rd and I-295 traffic to and from Argyle will ease up somewhat.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
How about this place?? [url]http://www.realtyweb.net/index.cfm/Search_Residential_Properties[/url] I'm not sure how far of a drive it would be for you so I apologize in advance if it's too far!! It's in Orange Park about a 10 min drive from 295, nice little neighborhood, Clay county schools and easy to get anywhere really from the house. It was the house we just moved out of to buy a house. Needs a little TLC inside buy you might be able to work something out with the homeowners if you'd like to paint inside cause who ever lived there before us didn't do a good job! lol The back yard is fenced in also which will be great for your little one!

Sharie

This link should work------- [url]http://pub.realtyweb.net/share/1kAR/2655-Shannon-ST-ORANGE-PARK-FL-32065[/url]

Last edited by SharieG; 08-02-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticmonk View Post
Its coming down to the wire now so hopefully you guys can give me some help.

Me, my wife, my 17mo. old grandson are moving at the end of the month to JAX from Spokane, WA and need to find a 3 bedroom house for under 1k in a decent area (trying to avoid apts, condos, townhomes, duplexes, etc.).

I'll be working just off Gran Bay Parkway but don't mind a longer commute if the place is worth it.

I've talked to some coworkers who live in JAX and they say to avoid Northside, Southside, Springfield, Arlington, Westside & Mayport. That doesn't seem to really leave much else lol.

I've heard good things about Mandarin & Julington Creek area but all I seem to find are apartments.

The beaches (Atlantic, Neptune & Jax) or a few miles west of them would be nice but those that I've found are a little pricey.

Having a dog, 2 cats and trying to find a quiet place (we're home bodies that keep to our selfs) is proving harder than I first thought

- Any areas I should be focusing on (willing to go as far south as St Augustine)?
- What are Orange Park, Lakeside, St Johns & area west of the city (around Herlong) like?
- We'll be coming down to visit JAX in a couple weeks and hoping to check out some rentals and hopefully walk away with a place to move in to.
Do you know of a good rental agent that focuses on home rental?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you

No offense, but your coworkers don't seem to know what they are talking about.

Exhibit A: The South's Best Neighborhoods - Southern Living

Southern Living honors Springfield - Jacksonville Business Journal

www.myspringfield.org

www.springfieldmommies.com

http://www.myspringfield.org/forum/v...hp?f=16&t=1332

http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ksonville.html

http://www.golojax.com/2011/06/30/1058/

etc, etc, etc.

Exhibit B, the "Southside" of town is where most suburbanites feel safe.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM

18 posts, read 26,752 times
Thank you all very much for taking the time to post

Did some more number crunching and looks like 900/mo is our limit so although that craigslist rental look gorgeous its a little too much

FSU813, wow I had no idea. Good thing I came here instead of just listening to my coworkers. Thanks for the info

Did some more searching and found some homes that meet the requirements, only question is the locations.

I know its asking for a lot but if your familiar with any of the circled areas could you please give me your input?

We'll be in JAX in a couple weeks and want to know what to go for.

Once again, thank you all

Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 PM

How about we go from left to right west to east as it is;
The area just SW of Hart Haven avoid
The area just south of Sweetwater avoid like the plague
The one just north of Belaire-Meadowbrook on Collins rd may be ok
The one just south of Belaire-Meadowbrook avoid
The one just south of I-10 to the right of 228 avoid
The one just south of Avondale very good area (looks like Fairfax area)AAA+++
The one just south of Arlington Xpressway avoid like its a skunk ape with the plague and rabies ....Thats area is commnly know as Sin City
The area just east of 115 migh be ok
The area just north of Sandlewood may be ok
NOW TO the Beaches
The area on Wonderwood just south of Mayport avoid
The area at Atlantic Beach may be OK if its not west of Mayport rd

Hope this helps...I am curious though theres nothing in the Riverside area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville