Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM

199 posts, read 468,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Who is the builder on those lots, I believe Providence and DS Ware only left in there?

Did a little drive through over there yesterday to scope out remaining lots, and wondered about the premiums on the "good" ones.

The difference between that section of Durbin and the buildout at Greenleaf in Nocatee is astounding. I dont know how anyone chooses Greenleaf unless you just have to live in Nocatee just to tell everyone you live in Nocatee. The houses in Greenleaf are smaller, more expensive, and a lot closer together.
The average sales price for a home in Greenleaf village from 1/1/2012 till today, on file with the county, was $263,997.95. For the same period in Durbin, the average sales price was $315,208.73.

Greenleaf is made up of mostly 40' and 60' lot's. The new section has many 80' lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
The average sales price for a home in Greenleaf village from 1/1/2012 till today, on file with the county, was $263,997.95. For the same period in Durbin, the average sales price was $315,208.73.

Greenleaf is made up of mostly 40' and 60' lot's. The new section has many 80' lots.
So let's say you build on the 80 foot lot, you want to have that resale argument about the comps when you sell? "Oh, but THOSE comps were for the little houses on the 40' lots, not my fancy 80 foot lot section"

We could probably argue this all day long, price per square foot, today, between Greenleaf and Durbin, Greenleaf is going to be more expensive on the whole. The "older" Durbin houses have a huge range, $200k to $800k, but on sale today, the average is going to probably be in the low $300's. Greenleaf's average price is more mid to high $300 on much smaller lots. And you're in a neighborhood where, in general, the houses are much smaller and very close together.

There were some "older" Greenleaf houses from Phase I and II where the house is barely wider than the 2 car garage on the front and just long and lean. Then you have a nice 3500 sq ft David Weekly right next to it, doesnt make a lot of sense. The resale is going to be all over the place in there.

If I didn't know anything about the two neighborhoods, Durbin just seems a lot more open and appealling for around the same price point, give or take.

WillowCove is a different story, but you're in the mid-400's minimum in there.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

199 posts, read 468,696 times
Quote:
So let's say you build on the 80 foot lot, you want to have that resale argument about the comps when you sell? "Oh, but THOSE comps were for the little houses on the 40' lots, not my fancy 80 foot lot section"
Wouldn't that argument exist for any area that has a mix of home site sizes? The homes on the smaller lot sizes would be of less square footage and not a realistic comparable to a home on the 80' sites. The MDP restrictions won't allow for the homes built on the 40' sites to be built on the 80' site. Most won't even allow a plan designated for a 60' lot to be built on a 70' or 80'.

Quote:
We could probably argue this all day long, price per square foot, today, between Greenleaf and Durbin, Greenleaf is going to be more expensive on the whole. The "older" Durbin houses have a huge range, $200k to $800k, but on sale today, the average is going to probably be in the low $300's. Greenleaf's average price is more mid to high $300 on much smaller lots. And you're in a neighborhood where, in general, the houses are much smaller and very close together.
You're right. This could be argued all day long and probably will be forever. I don't think the home prices are as far off as you make them out to be. I ran the averages for just 2013 and Durbin still comes out on top. This data is the actual sales price, not the home list price on the builders web site. Another thing to consider is what is included in the base price. I haven't seen a Durbin listing, but a lot of the Greenleaf homes have tile, solid surface counters, stainless appliances and moldings included. Greenleaf and most of the other Nocatee communities have Natural Gas standard.

I do agree that Durbin does feel much more open than Greenleaf. I think that is in part to the development layout. The homes are a little further apart in Durbin, you can't deny that. Durbin has a lot of long sweeping streets where Greenleaf is more of a block layout, especially where the smaller home sites are located.

Quote:
There were some "older" Greenleaf houses from Phase I and II where the house is barely wider than the 2 car garage on the front and just long and lean. Then you have a nice 3500 sq ft David Weekly right next to it, doesnt make a lot of sense. The resale is going to be all over the place in there.

If I didn't know anything about the two neighborhoods, Durbin just seems a lot more open and appealling for around the same price point, give or take.

WillowCove is a different story, but you're in the mid-400's minimum in there.
To say people choose Nocatee just for the name isn't fair.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post
To say people choose Nocatee just for the name isn't fair.
Not ONLY for the name, but I think that's part of it for some people. Where you live, what you drive, what people think of you, it matters to most people. Nocatee is the trendy place to live, it's all perception. It could be a complete dump, but if the general consensus is that it's THE PLACE to be, it will factor in people's decision to move there. "Being Nocatee" would be in the Pro column for reasons to move there, maybe farther down the Pro list for you personally, but you can't deny the appeal. Their marketing is far more than any other development, kudos to them.

Don't get me wrong, Nocatee has a lot of upside and it's HUGE. Why they shove people together way in the back corner away from everything seems odd to me, especially at those price points. Look at Kelly Pointe, could it be more remote?! I know, I know, it will fill in, Targets and Home Depots any day now and all that marketing jazz...

The Greenleaf people have to drive 5-10 minutes to get to the pool for goodness sake, the Durbin people can walk to the pool, well most of them can. It's certainly not a 5 minute drive down the highway to get there. Another plus for WillowCove, which is somewhat reasonable walking distance, or golf cart... on the same side of the highway at least.

It's all personal choice, if going to the beach often mattered to me, I would pick Nocatee hands-down. Other than that, I don't see any other area where it has Durbin beat.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM

85 posts, read 176,581 times
The builder is Providence. Our entire street is Providence. The street across is a mix of Providence, DS Ware, and Holder Johnson.

Quote:
Who is the builder on those lots, I believe Providence and DS Ware only left in there?

Did a little drive through over there yesterday to scope out remaining lots, and wondered about the premiums on the "good" ones.

The difference between that section of Durbin and the buildout at Greenleaf in Nocatee is astounding. I dont know how anyone chooses Greenleaf unless you just have to live in Nocatee just to tell everyone you live in Nocatee. The houses in Greenleaf are smaller, more expensive, and a lot closer together.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM

615 posts, read 1,712,311 times
SaintCabbage-

It's obvious you're all about DC, but your "bashing" of Nocatee and inaccurate statements sort of take away from your message. Obviously people have their reasons for choosing one over the other, but I think it's most helpful for people to gather all the info and opinions of residents and make a decision for themselves. Everyone always seems happy no matter which neighborhood they end up in!

I don't claim to know that much about DC, but I know we looked there and didn't like it at the time. I also know why we picked Nocatee and those are all the reasons that we love it here. No, Kelly Pointe isn't remote, and I've never heard mention of a Home Depot or Target. There is a new K-8 school going in right at the entrance of Greenleaf and I see that as a HUGE "plus" for sales and resell value.

And as far as the waterpark goes, it's 3 miles from us and we can easily bike there or take the golf cart and no "highway" to cross. I'll argue that Nocatee does have an advantage when it comes to amenities, so I'll take being 3 miles from the fabulous waterpark any day of the week!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
SaintCabbage-

It's obvious you're all about DC, but your "bashing" of Nocatee and inaccurate statements sort of take away from your message. Obviously people have their reasons for choosing one over the other, but I think it's most helpful for people to gather all the info and opinions of residents and make a decision for themselves. Everyone always seems happy no matter which neighborhood they end up in!

I don't claim to know that much about DC, but I know we looked there and didn't like it at the time. I also know why we picked Nocatee and those are all the reasons that we love it here. No, Kelly Pointe isn't remote, and I've never heard mention of a Home Depot or Target. There is a new K-8 school going in right at the entrance of Greenleaf and I see that as a HUGE "plus" for sales and resell value.

And as far as the waterpark goes, it's 3 miles from us and we can easily bike there or take the golf cart and no "highway" to cross. I'll argue that Nocatee does have an advantage when it comes to amenities, so I'll take being 3 miles from the fabulous waterpark any day of the week!
I apologize if it came off as bashing, but I dont think my statements are inaccurate. 3 miles vs. 5 miles, inaccurate, I dont know, maybe, but I would call Palm Valley Road a highway, and it doesnt have a stoplight, so good luck riding your bike with all your towels, pool toys, and kids across it dodging cars going 60 around you. Nocatee Parkway is definitely a highway and I wouldn't recommend biking on it.

I have no issue with Nocatee, it's a beautiful, safe, wonderful neighborhood. Anyone would be lucky to live there. But for my money, I think you get more out of Durbin. I'll take the extra 5 to 10 minutes to get to the beach for a bigger yard, bigger house, and for less money. Your water slide is probably 10 feet higher than at DC, and we don't have a lazy river, but that's OK by me too.

I do love that Publix there though, big, clean, and always empty

PS - the exact same school is going in on Long Leaf Parkway at the entrance to DC. Literally exactly the same, same floorplan, same grades, same sq ft, same builder, same opening day

Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM

410 posts, read 602,129 times
Quote:
we don't have a lazy river
Speaking of the lazy river, is there any way that the Nocatee advertisers could find some more attractive females to put on the big billboard near I95-S/Baymeadows? Currently it has a few past-their-prime cougars sitting on some innertubes. There are plenty of beautiful women in Jacksonville. Plaster a couple of 20 and 30 something bombshells on the billboard, and you'll increase your sales 10 fold.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

410 posts, read 602,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
I see that as a HUGE "plus" for sales and resell value.
See my suggestion above. There's your HUGE "plus" for sales and resell value.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
Speaking of the lazy river, is there any way that the Nocatee advertisers could find some more attractive females to put on the big billboard near I95-S/Baymeadows? Currently it has a few past-their-prime cougars sitting on some innertubes. There are plenty of beautiful women in Jacksonville. Plaster a couple of 20 and 30 something bombshells on the billboard, and you'll increase your sales 10 fold.
well there has to be some truth in the advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville