U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM

195 posts, read 154,849 times
Default Nocatee vs Durbin Crossing

Does anyone have any thoughts on Nocatee vs Durbin Crossing? My husband and I were all set in our minds to build in Nocatee, but went to view an inventory home in Durbin and were really surprised by how much we liked it! We prefer the location of Nocatee and it's closeness to the beach, the schools there, etc, but we love the houses and lot sizes in Durbin. How are the schools around Durbin Crossing - we have four children which is what is prompting this move - schools are a HUGE deal for us! Also what are the fees in each neighborhood?

Durbin seems very isolated to us - my husband works downtown. The commute seems like it would be easy from Nocatee - how do you go from Durbin? Would love any input. Thanks!

Last edited by Acebab; 08-04-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM

77 posts, read 113,347 times
Default We love Nocatee - Austin Park

Moved in from East Arlington back in December--built with Cornerstone homes. They let us do a lot of customizing to their existing plan -- we call it the Castille 1 and 1/2 (5BR). We have friends in Durbin and it takes us about 15 minutes to get there from our place. We chose Nocatee because of the amenities, upcoming town center, and closeness to the beach over Durbin. It only takes 10 minutes to get to Micker's from our house. I drive downtown everyday as well--takes about 30 minutes in the morning, 35-40 in the afternoon if you leave at 5. The HOA fee for Austin Park is 600 dollars. Note that that is different from (and additional to) the Nocatee CDD fees. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM

530 posts, read 687,239 times
Also keep in mind that the schools in Nocatee, for the foreseeable future, are PVPV Elementary, Landrum Middle, and Neece. ( I have heard that the lines will soon be redrawn to include the eastern part of Nocatee in PVPV High). That means that the schools here are all schools feeding 32082 which is the zip code with money in this town. With the economy being what it is right now I believe schools that will benefit from fund raisers and the like, will be far more likely to sustain their academic standards then schools that may not have access to such support. Because of that, and other reasons mentioned by others, I would go with Nocatee.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 PM

80 posts, read 121,832 times
I like Austin Park, but will most likely go with Greenleaf, since they are less $$. Las Calinas has Providence homes much cheaper, though, so we will be checking them out too.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM

48 posts, read 89,064 times
Default nocatee vs durbin crossing

Durbin Crossing hands down.

Nocatee's amenities will be shared with over 15000 families at buildout so unless you are buying in Coastal Oaks ,which has its own private pool , the amenities and pool will eventually be VERY crowded there. It will be a long time before new businesses will open in that area as there is nowhere near enough population to sustain them. The grade school is very far, inconvenient for kids to visit friends they make who live in PV. The school district has no plans to build in Nocatee at this time because of financial reasons. If you need to sell you will be competing with new homes for MANY years to come.

Durbin Crossing will only have 1500 homes at buildout and has 2 beautiful amenity centers. Zoned schools are top rated , are very close , all your kids friends will live nearby. Everyday conveniences such as banks, hair & nail salons, drug stores, fast food, gas stations, etc. are all within a few miles. They have 11 builders to choose from. DreamFinders, Advantage Home Builders and Dennis Homes are all local builders who are new to the community with some great floorplans and prices. It takes less than 30 minutes to commute downtown.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 15,531 times
Durbin Crossing is awesome and have A+ schools, some within walking distance. You have access to I-95 from CR 210, from CR 2209 at Durbin Crossing or you can go Racetrack Rd to Philips Highway. Two huge amenity centers that are gorgeous and spacious and activities directors. It's big but still feels like a community and they always have a lot going on to help families interact. Plus ballfields and a skateboard park within the community. You would love it.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM

614 posts, read 772,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav286 View Post
Durbin Crossing hands down.

Nocatee's amenities will be shared with over 15000 families at buildout so unless you are buying in Coastal Oaks ,which has its own private pool , the amenities and pool will eventually be VERY crowded there. It will be a long time before new businesses will open in that area as there is nowhere near enough population to sustain them. The grade school is very far, inconvenient for kids to visit friends they make who live in PV. The school district has no plans to build in Nocatee at this time because of financial reasons. If you need to sell you will be competing with new homes for MANY years to come.
In response, this is my first hand experience of Nocatee...

While there may eventually be 15k families (decades from now?), we have never been to the waterpark when it was even close to being crowded. We always comment on how empty it is. I'm sure as time goes on, the crowds will pick up as people move in, but it's a huge facility with room to expand. There is also the option to build more neighborhood pools. For now, while my kids are still young and love spending time at the waterpark, there is definitely not a crowd issue.

PVPV Rawlings Elem is a good distance away, but it's one of the best (if not THE best) elementary school in the county and well worth the drive. Initially, I was concerned with the distance, but after our first year there and our wonderful experience, it's no longer an issue.

The school district DOES have plans to build in Nocatee. As a matter of fact, the next school slated to be built is a K-8 at Greenleaf Village. They are currently building an elementary school in Palencia, and we are next on the list. Not saying when that will happen, but there are plans.

I haven't been out to Durbin Crossing in about a year when we were looking for a house, but there were several things that turned us off about it. I guess to each his/her own, but we are very happy with Nocatee!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Also in response , there are already plans in place to build more pools through out Nocatee. The first will be on the west side of the development. The water park will expand with growth. My guess is Durbin would be more crowded then Nocatee at build out as there are no plans to expand in Durbin. What is there is there and that's it. Also , being much closer to the beach there are times when I go to the beach and times when I go to the water park , so that will help keep crowds smaller as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Also the bike trails and connected golf cart paths here really gives it an advantage over other communities that are all only car accessible.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM

195 posts, read 154,849 times
I think that we are leaning towards Nocatee due to location. Now we just need to find the right lot with the right builder. It is tricky business trying to get it all to line up. There are several lots in Durbin with a couple different builders that we like - this is what is making our decision more difficult. I am hoping that we can make Nocatee work for us! Thank you for all your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville