U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jacksonville, FL Vs Charlotte, NC
Jacksonville, FL 38 65.52%
Charlotte, NC 20 34.48%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,475,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I have lived in both places. Jacksonville looks like they are financially struggling. Its so bad to have for lease signs in the downtown area and any area. Even on the bad side of Charlotte the city is making it look good. Charlotte has cleaner air and water. Jax needs to upgrade their downtown. Its like we are using water right out the river and scared to cook with it. Charlotte airport makes Jax looks like doodoo. Yeah water and palm trees are nice to look at but they don't keep their city clean. North side of Jax looks like somewhere but not America. I hate the white people and in Jax they know nothing like they think they do. They are racist. Charlotte is growing and you can see it. Big difference when the city is doing its job. Jax is slacking. All this water brings disease and water damage. Jax is only for vacation then back to Charlotte NC which I'm proud to call HOME.

Here is the same post with the grammar corrected. No comment on its content.

Mods if you delete the original post please delete this as well, thanks.
Thanks for the interpretation!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:16 PM

This is an interesting comparison. I'm actually surprised Charlotte is losing!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:46 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,506,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Well, we are in the Jacksonville forum after all. I'm sure it would be the other way around if this was in the Charlotte NC forum.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Well, we are in the Jacksonville forum after all. I'm sure it would be the other way around if this was in the Charlotte NC forum.
True!

Old 09-01-2016, 01:52 PM

2,505 posts, read 5,665,987 times
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't even read the original post, and I voted for Jacksonville. It seemed like the right thing to do!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:41 PM

54 posts, read 149,692 times
Post In NC now and still looking at JAX area..

I am in the Raleigh area now (arrived from Boston in 2008) and am desiring a change. The only thing holding me back some is I recently started working for the State of NC here after working for myself for many years. I like what I see when I research JAX and the cost of living stats as well when you consider the coast / beaches are very close by.... I was kind of pleased by that so then started researching JAX more & more!!! The growth here in NC has been tremendous in both Charlotte and Raleigh areas since I arrived, but I agree....the tax structure here is tough at times. It seems like everything is taxed. I am trying to research and learn about folks who transitioned from one state employee system to another. I don't have several years invested yet so that part isn't the concern.....rather can it be done and what is the process??? If anyone has any insight on a transition like that I am all ears!!!

NC has been ok and has pros and cons like every place else..... I just desire to be closer to the coast, cheaper taxes and overall cost of living. Could JAX be the place in 2017??? I am purchasing a Jags ticket (maybe the Raiders game in Oct) and coming to look around.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:56 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,308,612 times
Quote:
You are referring to Charlotte Metro which "The Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is defined as seven counties in North Carolina and three counties in South Carolina". Jacksonville is "Jacksonville-St. Marys-Palatka, FL-GA Combined Statistical Area, a Combined Statistical Area (CSA), which included metropolitan Jacksonville as well as the Palatka, Florida and St. Marys, Georgia Micropolitan Statistical Areas (comprising Putnam County, Florida and Camden County, Georgia).

The area I was referring to is Mecklenburg County which includes the city of Charlotte and has a population of 919,628 vs Duval County which includes the city of Jacksonville and has a population of 864,263.

If you read my post I said "maybe" it was because of the bank implosion. Do you have any explanation of why the houses are so cheap there? We saw 3500 sq ft all brick houses in good neighborhoods for the mid 300's.
People don't move to cities, they move to metros. City population matters only for very specific things related to the political boundary. It would be rather silly to suggest that the city population is what you meant as if the banking issues and recession would only impact city boundaries or any other economic situation, good or bad.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:35 PM

8,964 posts, read 7,168,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaze8102 View Post
I am in the Raleigh area now (arrived from Boston in 2008) and am desiring a change. The only thing holding me back some is I recently started working for the State of NC here after working for myself for many years. I like what I see when I research JAX and the cost of living stats as well when you consider the coast / beaches are very close by.... I was kind of pleased by that so then started researching JAX more & more!!! The growth here in NC has been tremendous in both Charlotte and Raleigh areas since I arrived, but I agree....the tax structure here is tough at times. It seems like everything is taxed. I am trying to research and learn about folks who transitioned from one state employee system to another. I don't have several years invested yet so that part isn't the concern.....rather can it be done and what is the process??? If anyone has any insight on a transition like that I am all ears!!!

NC has been ok and has pros and cons like every place else..... I just desire to be closer to the coast, cheaper taxes and overall cost of living. Could JAX be the place in 2017??? I am purchasing a Jags ticket (maybe the Raiders game in Oct) and coming to look around.
You won't find many folks who lived in nc and moved to Jax. But a ton of them in Jax that moved to nc.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Me too. Very.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'm actually ver surprised Jax is beating Charlotte at all, no matter what forum we are in lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville