U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jacksonville, FL Vs Charlotte, NC
Jacksonville, FL 38 65.52%
Charlotte, NC 20 34.48%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2016, 01:14 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,138,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
In regards to the following criteria in that order

a. Enjoyable/ Warmer tolerable weather year round, without harsh winters
b. Quality/Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)
d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation (reasonable/livable commute time between 10 [preferable] to 40 mins)
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
g. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate

Which one would you choose Charlotte, NC or Jacksonville, FL

Thanks!
I see the date on the OP post, but I also go back and forth regularly between the two cities since 2000. As of today, 09/04/2016 Jax is the winner....pretty much in ALL categories. Charlotte gets a few snow days, but NOT any 'harsh' winters. If you check the Weather Channel day-to-day our weather in both cities is almost exactly the same but for a few winter days. Housing the same...gridlock traffic the same... job opportunities...same x2....Schools in Charlotte are with many issues and our teachers are leaving by the droves for other cities. Classes are overcrowded and buses this year are getting kids home at 7pm or later. There are 90 bus driver jobs open and 150 teacher jobs open as of this week. Charlotte does have the Panthers but I'm NOT a Cam Newton fan. Jax is a much prettier city with the water & bridges everywhere.
Im currently looking at Yulee, FL as a retirement but have 2 more years before my son graduates in NC.

Last edited by mooksmom; 09-04-2016 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: forgot a comment about schools
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 AM

8,964 posts, read 7,156,316 times
Heck no. Charlotte is prettier than Jax. Let's not get out of hand here lol.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM

54 posts, read 149,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I see the date on the OP post, but I also go back and forth regularly between the two cities since 2000. As of today, 09/04/2016 Jax is the winner....pretty much in ALL categories. Charlotte gets a few snow days, but NOT any 'harsh' winters. If you check the Weather Channel day-to-day our weather in both cities is almost exactly the same but for a few winter days. Housing the same...gridlock traffic the same... job opportunities...same x2....Schools in Charlotte are with many issues and our teachers are leaving by the droves for other cities. Classes are overcrowded and buses this year are getting kids home at 7pm or later. There are 90 bus driver jobs open and 150 teacher jobs open as of this week. Charlotte does have the Panthers but I'm NOT a Cam Newton fan. Jax is a much prettier city with the water & bridges everywhere.
Im currently looking at Yulee, FL as a retirement but have 2 more years before my son graduates in NC.
Someone mentioned Yulee, FL to me the other day because of it's upcoming growth and proximity to JAX and beaches. I live 20 miles south of Raleigh now...the area is nice and is growing but it is time for a change. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
You won't find many folks who lived in nc and moved to Jax. But a ton of them in Jax that moved to nc.
Can you offer up any reasons why off the top of your head? Any info helps....cheers!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Bc NC is a very popular place for Floridians to move to once they get tired of the heat, congestion, the people, crime, etc. It's been this way for yrs and it's even more popular now than ever before. It's kind of like how NYers move to Fla... Floridians move to NC/SC/TN.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Go to any FL FORUM and ask around if there are any North Carolinians on there... Then go to the NC forums and ask if there are any former Floridians... Lol. You'll see lol.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Go to any FL FORUM and ask around if there are any North Carolinians on there... Then go to the NC forums and ask if there are any former Floridians... Lol. You'll see lol.
I will say that I commented many times on the amount of cars on the roads here in NC with Florida license plates....can the exodus from FL to NC, etc. be that bad??? I mean you have a window of time to register and get NC tags. Hmmm....now you got me thinking that those cars I see are people looking around NC and thinking of moving here. LOL

Old 09-09-2016, 06:38 PM

7,386 posts, read 8,081,405 times
^You can search online for a migration map between counties. I've actually taken a gander at Jax-Charlotte before. Iirc, for the most recent year of data, the counties around Jax vs Charlotte saw a net migration towards Charlotte of ~150 people. Something in the range of 650 moving from Jax-CLT and 500 in the other direction. So yes, people are moving. No, it's not that bad.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaze8102 View Post
I will say that I commented many times on the amount of cars on the roads here in NC with Florida license plates....can the exodus from FL to NC, etc. be that bad??? I mean you have a window of time to register and get NC tags. Hmmm....now you got me thinking that those cars I see are people looking around NC and thinking of moving here. LOL
Oh, they're absolutely looking at moving there.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaze8102 View Post
You should go to Asheville NC. All you see is FL plates. Stop anywhere and ask 10 people where they're from. 3-4 will say FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville