Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:37 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

We have a debate going where I live about the water restrictions. I thought it was an order, others say it is a recommendation. Didn't see anything on coj.net. What's the scoop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
We have a debate going where I live about the water restrictions. I thought it was an order, others say it is a recommendation. Didn't see anything on coj.net. What's the scoop?
I believe it is an order. If a neighbor reports you watering outside the guidelines, you could potentially be fined. I think JEA is pretty easy going about it, but when we have had drought years, they did fine people.

This is an old article, it's from a drought time (Firestorms of '98):

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin..._2a1WATER.html

Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,109,893 times
This is from the St Johns River Water Management District website FAQ section

"How is the rule enforced?

The primary emphasis is on education of the need to conserve water, and on lawn and landscape irrigation techniques that maintain healthy lawns. The District believes the conservation message is so compelling that enforcement should only be an occasional issue. In those local government jurisdictions where ordinances are adopted, the local governments are responsible for enforcing their own ordinances. In areas where no local government ordinance exists, the District follows up on complaints. Lack of compliance with the rule first results in a warning and then in monetary penalties.

What are the monetary penalties for breaking the rule?

In those local government jurisdictions where ordinances are adopted, the local governments are responsible for enforcing their own ordinances. The monetary penalties for breaking the rule are in accordance with the local ordinance.

In areas where no local government ordinance exists, the District follows up on complaints. Lack of compliance with the rule first results in a warning and then in monetary penalties.

After receiving a warning, the monetary penalties are:

Residential property:

* 1st violation -- $50 penalty
* 2nd violation -- $100 penalty

Commercial property:

* 1st violation -- $100 penalty
* 2nd violation -- $200 penalty"

Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM

Well, I am outvoted on the board...any idea if COJ has adopted an ordinance? I couldn't find any thing about it on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
This is from the St Johns River Water Management District website FAQ section

"How is the rule enforced?

The primary emphasis is on education of the need to conserve water, and on lawn and landscape irrigation techniques that maintain healthy lawns. The District believes the conservation message is so compelling that enforcement should only be an occasional issue. In those local government jurisdictions where ordinances are adopted, the local governments are responsible for enforcing their own ordinances. In areas where no local government ordinance exists, the District follows up on complaints. Lack of compliance with the rule first results in a warning and then in monetary penalties.

What are the monetary penalties for breaking the rule?

In those local government jurisdictions where ordinances are adopted, the local governments are responsible for enforcing their own ordinances. The monetary penalties for breaking the rule are in accordance with the local ordinance.

In areas where no local government ordinance exists, the District follows up on complaints. Lack of compliance with the rule first results in a warning and then in monetary penalties.

After receiving a warning, the monetary penalties are:

Residential property:

* 1st violation -- $50 penalty
* 2nd violation -- $100 penalty

Commercial property:

* 1st violation -- $100 penalty
* 2nd violation -- $200 penalty"

Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well, I am outvoted on the board...any idea if COJ has adopted an ordinance? I couldn't find any thing about it on their site.
Not sure.....you could always call 630-CITY and ask.

JEA is city-owned, so I think that the power is with JEA to decide if someone gets fined (so their site might have the ordinance.....I couldn't find it though, it's not an easy site to navigate). The article I posted above seems to indicate that it is JEA doing the fineing.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 PM

The thing is people need to understand is they have these "restrictions" for a reason. We have gone from "severe" drought conditions to "moderate" drought conditions. If we don't get any rain soon, it has been almost 3 weeks, we could easily end up back in severe.
The water table is lower. Look at some of the retention ponds or lakes as some neighborhoods call them. They are low. Ours is about 2' down.
It is a matter of being responsible in helping to conserve water.
Even at the city level everyone interprets the "rule" differently.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
The thing is people need to understand is they have these "restrictions" for a reason. We have gone from "severe" drought conditions to "moderate" drought conditions. If we don't get any rain soon, it has been almost 3 weeks, we could easily end up back in severe.
The water table is lower. Look at some of the retention ponds or lakes as some neighborhoods call them. They are low. Ours is about 2' down.
It is a matter of being responsible in helping to conserve water.
Even at the city level everyone interprets the "rule" differently.
I am with you on this. Let me ask you- would a master gardener be able to come out and inspect the lawn? Or is their another type person who would do this? An irrigation expert or something?

The lawn is being cut too close (2" vs 3") and this contributes to the need(?) for more water. I'd like to let the other board members know that I have had someone out and these are the recommendations..... Our lake isn't down very much, I think because it's supposedly spring-fed. But that doesn't mean we should over water.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:

The lawn is being cut too close (2" vs 3") and this contributes to the need(?) for more water. I'd like to let the other board members know that I have had someone out and these are the recommendations..... Our lake isn't down very much, I think because it's supposedly spring-fed. But that doesn't mean we should over water.
I'll let Karla answer the Master Garder Q .

But I've noticed that if I let my grass get too TALL it gets thirsty too . It's so hot out, I'm not mowing as often as I should (yes! I'm a girl and I mow !).

Our lakes have come back up too, thank goodness . We have both "fake" lakes (manmade) and a "real" one that might be spring-fed too because it never seems to get low (it's also huge, so that may play a role).

Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM

hif
This is where the lovely budgets are hurting the extension office. We have less people to send out. But you can tell them you spoke to a MG and the following was recommended.
I am surprised that your lawn guys are cutting it so short. Did someone in your HOA request this.
2 " is too short
here is the recommended mowing from the IAFS website
karla
"Mowing
Proper mowing practices are necessary to keep any lawn healthy and attractive. Standard St. Augustinegrass cultivars ('BitterBlue', 'Classic', 'Floratam', 'Floratine', 'Palmetto', etc.) should be maintained at a height of 3.5 to 4 inches. Repetitively mowing at lower heights reduces overall stress tolerance of the lawn, discourages deep rooting, increases the chance for scalping if a mowing event is missed or postponed due to weather, and may increase susceptibility to pest problems. To obtain the correct height with most home rotary lawn mowers, use the highest wheel height setting. Maintaining the right height will help the grass develop a deep root system and give a better appearance to the turf. No more than a third of the leaf blades should be removed with any mowing. If possible, increase mowing height during periods of moisture stress or if the grass is growing in shade"

Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 PM

As always- you rock!

Yeah, the budget cuts stink. COJ eliminated their neighborhood services office and cut the staff from 13 to two.

I think it's time to start an umbrella association of neighborhood associations....the one in Tally is a great resource to HOAs and a strong political force, as well. If one tiny neighborhood faces rezoning issues that will negatively impact their neighborhood, the entire Council of Neighborhood Associations gets behind them and calls out the troops.

Quote:
hif
This is where the lovely budgets are hurting the extension office. We have less people to send out. But you can tell them you spoke to a MG and the following was recommended.
I am surprised that your lawn guys are cutting it so short. Did someone in your HOA request this.
2 " is too short
here is the recommended mowing from the IAFS website
karla
"Mowing
Proper mowing practices are necessary to keep any lawn healthy and attractive. Standard St. Augustinegrass cultivars ('BitterBlue', 'Classic', 'Floratam', 'Floratine', 'Palmetto', etc.) should be maintained at a height of 3.5 to 4 inches. Repetitively mowing at lower heights reduces overall stress tolerance of the lawn, discourages deep rooting, increases the chance for scalping if a mowing event is missed or postponed due to weather, and may increase susceptibility to pest problems. To obtain the correct height with most home rotary lawn mowers, use the highest wheel height setting. Maintaining the right height will help the grass develop a deep root system and give a better appearance to the turf. No more than a third of the leaf blades should be removed with any mowing. If possible, increase mowing height during periods of moisture stress or if the grass is growing in shade"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: