Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,882,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Probably because Orlando, Miami and Atlanta are too far ahead to catch up with and too close in proximity to really allow for long haul flights to both (any of the others plus Jax) airports.
Well, I'm from Northern NJ and we had Newark (Liberty), JFK and LaGuardia. All of them have non-stop flights over seas and all are within about 15 miles of each other.

I'd not be too happy about having to drive 2 hours to get to Orlando to take a flight out.

In short, I think there's much more to it than the other airports being (relatively) close. Probably more to do with the cost of building up the airport to handle this type of traffic than anything. But I'm just guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,582 times
Denver is a world class city, you can't argue that.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times
Denver is a great city my only complaint with it is the smog, that just seems to linger there. Due to it being in a bowl surrounded by higher mountains.
Pic of Denver taken last year @ 2 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,507 times
Thanks everyone! Looking forward to all the new adventures!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
I'd take Denver smog over Los Angeles smog ANY DAY!
Denver is a nice city, and as stated before, if we could afford two homes, pretty sure one would be south of Denver in the Parker area......really liked that area. Some mighty good Rainbow trout fishing at Chatfield Reservoir (State Park)!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Denver is a great city my only complaint with it is the smog, that just seems to linger there. Due to it being in a bowl surrounded by higher mountains.
Pic of Denver taken last year @ 2 PM.
It doesnt look too bad.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Are you going back to Charlotte, LoveBoating?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Well, I'm from Northern NJ and we had Newark (Liberty), JFK and LaGuardia. All of them have non-stop flights over seas and all are within about 15 miles of each other.

I'd not be too happy about having to drive 2 hours to get to Orlando to take a flight out.

In short, I think there's much more to it than the other airports being (relatively) close. Probably more to do with the cost of building up the airport to handle this type of traffic than anything. But I'm just guessing.
No, most airports are champing at the bit to build up and handle more traffic. JIA was ready to take out bonds (or did in fact do it) but then postponed construction because traffic is down and projections show a slow rebound. What I said is not the end all, cut and dry, single factor, but it's pretty logical. You realize your example in NYC serves a metropolitan area of 20 million. That's more than Atlanta, South Florida (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, etc) Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota and Jax combined. Just sayin...I sure hope NYC has three international airports with a plethora of non-stop international flights...

Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Denver is a world class city, you can't argue that.
Uh, yeah you can! Denver is definitely not a world class city.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Uh, yeah you can! Denver is definitely not a world class city.
Denver has had an anxiety-filled fixation about this (being world class, or not) for years.
Denver should not worry about it, and I think its savvy citizens are getting to that place.
Denver, whether it is or is not a world class city, is a splendid place to live.

The people who flock to Denver probably need a change, and the people who leave it might well be the same. We left Denver for Florida, but not because we thought our former home was a terrible place.

Denver is very different from Florida. One thing: We love the water. There is not a lot of that in Denver. (Let alone a real beach.)

We do not mind seasonal cold. However, Denver's cold and warm weather sometimes chooses extremely inappropriate times to appear.

Denver may or may not be world class, but is indeed a big city with amenities unavailable in Jax. As I said before, Jax and its vicinity reminds me of the Denver I knew back in 1968. That's *not* all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville