Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 AM

126 posts, read 711,308 times

Advertisements

Now that I've been up here for a week, my opinion of this place is in the gutter. The shootings this week don't help either; it makes me wary to go out anywhere other than the beach or the general UNF area. I'm trying to like it, but the kids here at UNF are very immature, not so intelligent, and a lot of them are pretty unapproachable. I like to think of myself as pretty mature for 19, and I just can't stomach the immaturity of some of these people. I've always found it somewhat difficult to make friends past the superficial level and most of these people aren't the type of friends I would want to have anyway. I'm getting pretty discouraged with this place in general. I know I'm only in my second week, but all of my friends other schools are having plenty of fun. I feel trapped to say the least. Anyone have any ideas that could remedy my situation? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:54 AM

278 posts, read 664,715 times
Hey td - I had a similar problem at UNF, and this was like 11 years ago. But after a few weeks I kind of found my place and made several friends, some of whom I still have today. I even met my wife (though she didn't take kindly to that idea).

UNF is a weird school for the mature young adult to make friends because it's full of superficial, sheltered kids whose idea of a good time is drinking themselves into a stupor. But there are a couple cool clubs (or there were six years ago when I graduated) on campus that do outdoor type stuff. I remember the Sawmill Slough club and another one I forget the name of.

As far as off campus, there are neat areas of Jax to explore. The beaches, Riverside, San Marco... do you have a car? Also what's your major?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
I thought the same thing my first two weeks of college in NC. Worked out in the end.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Since we moved here in Jan '09:
Was a robbery at the Avenues Mall just down the street from us.
Our bank, two miles from us, got robbed.
There was a shooting at the McDonalds restaurant not too far from us.
A girl was set on fire at a apt complex right across from our bank.
We live in a safe area, as told to us by a JSO Officer that patrols our area. There has been crime around us, but as long as I don't hear a police helicopter over our complex or the area, gun shots and sirens at night.......we're ok!
I'm a former EMT and worked in Los Angeles & Orange County, California.........I know a crime area when I see one! When you drive thru an area that has bars over windows and doors of homes and businesses......you know you're in a bad area!
Just be careful and don't decide to take a walk at 3AM!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:20 AM

Location: San Francisco area for just a little longer ..... maybe?
24 posts, read 37,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
Now that I've been up here for a week, my opinion of this place is in the gutter. The shootings this week don't help either; it makes me wary to go out anywhere other than the beach or the general UNF area. I'm trying to like it, but the kids here at UNF are very immature, not so intelligent, and a lot of them are pretty unapproachable. I like to think of myself as pretty mature for 19, and I just can't stomach the immaturity of some of these people. I've always found it somewhat difficult to make friends past the superficial level and most of these people aren't the type of friends I would want to have anyway. I'm getting pretty discouraged with this place in general. I know I'm only in my second week, but all of my friends other schools are having plenty of fun. I feel trapped to say the least. Anyone have any ideas that could remedy my situation? Thanks.
Please excuse the poor English as I am tired and it get weak when I not sleep much. And lately I not be sleep well, I think about moving.

I trying to understand this, you have been in Jacksonville a whole week and your opinion of Jacksonville is in gutter. I am right so far? Were any of these shootings this week occur right where you be staying? If not why you so upset these things happen everywhere in this country, good thing you didn't decide to go to Wayne State in Detroit.

You like to think of yourself as mature? Do you also think of yourself as superior too. Because that is how you come off in your post. I understand why you have trouble making new friends. Not everyone needs to be mature and serious all of the time. That is what youth is for to be and do foolish things now and then. Otherwise young people would not learn and grow and mature into adulthood. No one wants to hang out with some one who looks down on them all the time.

And before you get idea I am some old fogey I am a 24 year old single female, that has already been there and done what you try to do. But at a much tougher University, and with a handicap as English is not my native tongue. My degree is in a very tough discipline, but I still found time to have fun and do foolish things.

To remedy your situation;
1) lighten up
2) be less judgemental
3) learn to have fun
4) do not take yourself so seriously

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,018 times
Now that I've been up here for a week, my opinion of this place is in the gutter. The shootings this week don't help either; it makes me wary to go out anywhere other than the beach or the general UNF area.

Nonsense. I mean, according to fsu813, the urban core is happening, brother!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 AM

Location: San Francisco area for just a little longer ..... maybe?
24 posts, read 37,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Now that I've been up here for a week, my opinion of this place is in the gutter. The shootings this week don't help either; it makes me wary to go out anywhere other than the beach or the general UNF area.

Nonsense. I mean, according to fsu813, the urban core is happening, brother!
I do not know what a fsu318 is, but what is this fsu318 nonsense? The urban core of any city no matter where, is always the most dangerous place. Probably because its a tenuous existence and most of its inhabitants are so transitory. Everywhere I have ever lived Budapest, London, New York and San Francisco the downtown urban core though vibrant is dangerous. Jacksonville is probably less so than any of those not by design but by being much smaller.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,606 times
People here are funny when talking about how safe it is here. Honestly, crime here is no worse than any other city and probably better than most (city of this size). If you're watching/reading local news you're ONLY going to hear about crime because that's what people stop and take notice of. They don't take notice of good stories about an area.

I'm from NJ. Lived right next to Paterson. Want to talk about crime? That's one of the worst cities in the country and I lived (roughly) 1 mile from there. I won't drive through certain areas of Paterson during the day it's so bad.

Also not far from Newark and Irvington. Two places which are also horrible. I've seen nothing at all in Jacksonville which compares to these areas. Are there bad areas? Sure there are. Is there crime in good areas? Sure there are. Just like there's crime in good areas across the country. However, it's not like you have to fear your life every time you walk outside your door.

I find it laughable when people talk about the crime in Jacksonville like we live in a combat zone when it's not true in any way, shape or form...

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
I think some folks want Jax to be like a small tourist town (not city) or like a small town in the middle of Montana or Wyoming, where there is still crime, but not at all like here. Law enforcement here is always telling people about shutting windows/locking doors on their vehicles, yet there are small towns in those Western states where people don't do that and DON'T have to! I've been to some of those towns and seen windows open/doors unlocked on vehicles sitting in parking lots of grocery stores and restaurants. Of course, a "small town" is much different than Jax is.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM

24 posts, read 52,731 times
Crime is going to happen anywhere you live, but that is all they have been harping on since Sunday are those shootings.... they say that's a "safe" neighborhood...I for one would not live in that neighborhood, but go south of there and you are in Riverside/Avondale area, a relatively safe area.

I lived in Kansas City in the Town Center area. It is downtown where all of the nightlife, great restaurants and great shops are. However, you venture a block either way and you better fear for your life as there are areas that even the cops don't care to enter. Detroit is the same way, so is Tampa. Ever been to the Melbourne/Palm Bay area? Very small coastal town, but drugs are rampant and people will do anything to procure their fix.

I'm just trying to say, it is what you make of it. If you are always watching the news, that's all you are going to hear, is about the murders, abductions, etc. Get out, go to the beach, go to the Towne Center, or go down to Riverside to the shops there, or to the Landing and you won't have time to watch that crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville