Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 AM

157 posts, read 529,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I DO understand your feelings about the "thug" look, because that look is portrayed so, so much on tv, especially the shows that talk about gangs, prisons/jails. But, what I highlighted in red is not part of what your thread is about.......it however is a moral issue that it appears you are venting about. Having babies out of wedlock has been going on for years upon years and will never stop, no matter who does the "calling out" on it!
And, the ghetto areas can't be hid just like the homeless can't be hid.
I respect your response. Thank you for an educated relevant response. I got carried away and shared some of my vents. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Quote:
You say the gateway center should be torn down, but have you seen the River City Marketplace 3 exits north? And the Sams on Dunn Ave?
Gateway Center has come a long way. It now has a Publix and Walgreens. Years ago it had NONE of that. It caters to a low-income clientele because that's what the neighborhood is, inner-city. In my view, the Gateway Center is keeping money flowing in that area. Building walls to hide the ghetto is outright stupid. Going by that logic, a lengthy wall should be built down Phillips Hwy, sections of Arlington and portions of Baymeadows since they all have ghetto, low-income housing

Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
I just want to share my ideas to make this city a much better place to live work and play. Right now Jacksonville is one of the largest cities in the country but they have a red neck blue collar mindframe unfortunately. Here are some ideas that will make this city better and respectable:
1. Driving into the city from 95 southbound, is an eye sore. There is nothing appealing along the interstate that will draw people to stop. That ghetto shopping center 3 miles before downtown is pathetic. It needs to be torn down and revived possibly Walmart and satelite stores would help. Tall barrier walls needs to be built from the trout river to downtown so the low income housing will be out of sight. Also when you enter the city limits, market the Jaguars.

2. This is small but the city don't need to advertise Daytona Beach on the interstate sign unitl after the downtown core.

3. There need to be more curb appeal on 95 so the people that PASS THROUGH to go to Orlando or Miami can be attracted. Make this city a destination and not a passthrough.

4. Here we go DOWNTOWN::::Needs curb appeal. smoother roads,get rid of the stupid stones in front of the Landing. Attract mid size companies for headquarters. Shoot for Wells Fargo then maybe we can see a 800+ foot tall building with a spire downtown. The Landing is pathetic BTW. Change the name from Downtown Jacksonville to JAX CENTER CITY. Just visit Charlotte, NC for a week to get ideas. Build a 3 story libary.
Rebuild the Landing (add fast food, restauraunts, retail, clubs, bowling alley, movie theatre)
First Coast Aquarium
First Coast Library 3 story

5. Build a light rail system from airport, pass River city Marketplace, run parallel to 95 to downtown, passing the landing, go down to South Side Blvd to St John Town Center and end at Avenues.

6. Market your Jaguars, Add teal colors on some bldgs downtown, add some hotels near Everbank Arena, Buffalo Wild wings, etc. If the Jaguars leave, you have nothing!!! Be thankful you have a NFl team. Embrace them, support them.

7. Fully transform 9A into I-295 as a 62 mile loop. That helps too.

8. Focus on Downtown, appearance and transist. The huge outskirts will take care of themselves

9. This goes for the people, STOP GETTING TATTOOS ON VISIBLE PART OF YOUR BODIES(neck, forearm, face) This is stupid and unprofessional. This destroy your chances of ever getting a professional job.

10. People, stop killing each other. You represent your city, whether you know it or not!!!!! Carry yourselves better. Throw away the stupid gold grills, pull your pants up. Stop making babies out of wedlock so the goverment to support your kids. Educate yourselves. This is for everybody that this message applys to.

These are some ways of making this place a better place.
Do you live here? When was the last time you visited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville