U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,362 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an advice on where to look for residence--I will be working in Lake City, and my gf in Jacksonville. Simply looking on the map and not knowing much about these towns, Baldwin and Macclenny pop out. Any advice?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM

4,192 posts, read 4,654,553 times
Macclenny is bigger than Baldwin and has many more housing opportunities, with less chances of it being a mobile home. Hands down Macclenny is better than Baldwin,(more stores. restaurants, banks and people) and more equal distance between Jax and Lake City. There is just nothing to do in Baldwin (I know as I live just 3 miles north east of Baldwin) There is a really good BBQ place in Baldwin, thats about it. The fact that Macclenny has basically 3 off ramps from I-10 should tell you a lot. Baldwin has 1 and its only because US301 a major truck route intersect it at Baldwin.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Alright, so Macclenny does sound better than Baldwin. Is there a big difference between Macclenny and Glen St. Mary? The reason I ask is because I ve heard the two being discussed in two totally different terms, as though Macclenny is redneck-ish, low-iq, etc., etc., and G.S.M. is some oasis.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib View Post
Alright, so Macclenny does sound better than Baldwin. Is there a big difference between Macclenny and Glen St. Mary? The reason I ask is because I ve heard the two being discussed in two totally different terms, as though Macclenny is redneck-ish, low-iq, etc., etc., and G.S.M. is some oasis.
Maclenny and Glen are right next to each other (in fact one of Macclenny's I-10 exits is Glen) My daughter used to live in Glen with her husband they had a $300K house in Old Nursery Plantation (a very nice community in Glen) they sold when it was easy to sell and made a bundle(3 kids later and expecting the 4th they just outgrew the house) and built a $500K house in Macclenny. Yes theres a "hood" in Macclenny. (but all it really is about a 50 low income housing unit..nothing real bad) If your in Glen you have to go to Macllenny to do just about everything.(all the grocery stores, restaurants, and amenities are in Macclenny) Glen isn't an oasis but it is country and quiet and nice as are certain parts of Macclenny. It's a toss-up between the two.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,386,886 times
They're all tiny, rural communities.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
They're all tiny, rural communities.
I totally agree...just like the Historic Springfield area is a point of light in a sea of darkness (a tiny point of light at that)

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 09-19-2011 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 AM

We would be looking to rent in Macclenny, does that mean that it would be in that hood area, or are there more apt. complexes?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib View Post
We would be looking to rent in Macclenny, does that mean that it would be in that hood area, or are there more apt. complexes?
There are 2 apartment complexes in Macclenny Northwood and Baker Manor and yes they are both low income, rent assist as far as I know. There really are not any large apartment complexes per se... mostly homes for rent. Same for Glen as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville