Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Much of it has to do with your frame of reference or (in other words) where you used to live before you came to this part of Fl. I came from NY and in my opinion NYC is the most hostile city in the US ... well, next to Boston. So I do find where I live here in SJC a friendly place where strangers smile at strangers and are not afraid to start a conversation. I think the difference between you and myself is that I am not afraid to initiate the friendliness but I am not accusing you of being an unfriendly person. Btw, when I owned my boat in Ct I made more friends than you could imagine b/c boaters love to hang out.
Philidelphia??? City of Brotherly love my A$$!!! Most unfriendly city in the US hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
A lot of it depends on a person's personality as well. We have a neighbor that will never say "hi" to us first, probably because her and I have had a few debates in the past. She has outright told me "I could never be married to someone like you!" My wife won't even talk to her anymore, unless she has to. But, then again, this lady doesn't go to any of the events in our complex clubhouse (put on by management here) either. She told me "I like my quiet and solitude life!".
As far as SJC goes, I've heard on this forum that there are some really snobby/rich people that go there. We don't hang out in that area, so we really don't know. From what I've seen at Mimi's and stopping in at Whiskey River, the area does draw in a pretty young crowd.........definitely younger than we are!
Concerning our boat, most of the boater's we've seen are much younger than us........or should I say, TOO young for us! There is one boating club that does cater to our age (early 60's), but all the members have fully contained cabin cruisers and ours is just a cuddy cabin. These people also go a lot of places on their boats, of which we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Much of it has to do with your frame of reference or (in other words) where you used to live before you came to this part of Fl. I came from NY and in my opinion NYC is the most hostile city in the US ... well, next to Boston. So I do find where I live here in SJC a friendly place where strangers smile at strangers and are not afraid to start a conversation. I think the difference between you and myself is that I am not afraid to initiate the friendliness but I am not accusing you of being an unfriendly person. Btw, when I owned my boat in Ct I made more friends than you could imagine b/c boaters love to hang out.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 PM

109 posts, read 306,575 times
I grew up in Colorado. There is no doubt that the night life in Denver is better. The downtown core is very vibrant compared to JAX. I think in terms of living beaches (32250) would be your best bet. I also like San Marco but based on your description may be a bit far from work. Pluses of JAX are beaches and great spring, fall, winter. Summer is humid with August being nasty but otherwise the quality of life is great and cost of living will be much less.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 AM

378 posts, read 829,609 times
You are right to be concerned about moving to FL. Over 1000 people a day move there, but over a 1000 people move out every day too. It is very transient. I wouldn't be concerned about the "Southern" issue, most people who live here are not from the south. It would be different if you were to a small community inland, which most people never do. Is the new position in FL worth losing what you have now, if you find the social life in JAX lacking and Fl in general not what you hoped? It's a great place to visit, but....

Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
(ha). You guys are ridiculous.

There's no shortage of things to do in Jax, social or otherwise.

If you're bored, let me know.

I'll give you ten things you'll enjoy off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville