U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,536 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Dear Friends, I'm 40 years old single, but looking to raise a family once relocating to Jacksonville within the next 3 to 4 months.I'd like to find a home between 200k to 250k price range, and hoping to get some advice from locals.My research always coming up with many homes within my price range areas like ponte verde, ponte verde beach, southside, san marco, jax beaches,mandarin...These areas are also beign suggested as "nice" areas by locals....However I'd like to understand few more details...Are most houses always in a community(like gated or not gated, but ccd fees and home owners association fees are always present)
My current house in Albuquerque,NM is not in a community like that, its in a really nice part of town, I get to do my landscaping, move my yard therefore there are no additional fees like ccd's or hoa fees....I do pay my property taxes of course...
The second thin is property taxes....I'd like to keep it below $2000/$2200 mark....but during my research(using realtor.com) within the same zip code around 235k homes can range $1500 to $4500.... As far as I understand Jax sits on 2 counties, and Duval county is little less as far as the property taxes...Can anyone also give me an example of utility bills for a house around 3 to 4 bedrooms, 1600 to 2000 sq foot....
One other major factor I'd like opinion is my planned businnes....
Hoping to open a little restaurant....I'd like to stay close to UNF currently I'm close to University of New Mexico, and faculty members and students are my major customers....Hoping to establish similar in Jax....Thank you all for your helps and opinions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
1,658 posts, read 4,393,865 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by krepedia View Post
Dear Friends, I'm 40 years old single, but looking to raise a family once relocating to Jacksonville within the next 3 to 4 months.I'd like to find a home between 200k to 250k price range, and hoping to get some advice from locals.My research always coming up with many homes within my price range areas like ponte verde, ponte verde beach, southside, san marco, jax beaches,mandarin...These areas are also beign suggested as "nice" areas by locals....However I'd like to understand few more details...Are most houses always in a community(like gated or not gated, but ccd fees and home owners association fees are always present)
My current house in Albuquerque,NM is not in a community like that, its in a really nice part of town, I get to do my landscaping, move my yard therefore there are no additional fees like ccd's or hoa fees....I do pay my property taxes of course...
The second thin is property taxes....I'd like to keep it below $2000/$2200 mark....but during my research(using realtor.com) within the same zip code around 235k homes can range $1500 to $4500.... As far as I understand Jax sits on 2 counties, and Duval county is little less as far as the property taxes...Can anyone also give me an example of utility bills for a house around 3 to 4 bedrooms, 1600 to 2000 sq foot....
One other major factor I'd like opinion is my planned businnes....
Hoping to open a little restaurant....I'd like to stay close to UNF currently I'm close to University of New Mexico, and faculty members and students are my major customers....Hoping to establish similar in Jax....Thank you all for your helps and opinions.
Well, if you should find a home in Ponte Vedra for 200K - 250K please DM me right away. I too would he interested.

Otherwise hold the phone for madcap or fsu, they will be right with you to help you with the rest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 04:03 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,536 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Well, if you should find a home in Ponte Vedra for 200K - 250K please DM me right away. I too would he interested.

Otherwise hold the phone for madcap or fsu, they will be right with you to help you with the rest.
As I have mentioned, I was looking over realtor.com, and since you are interested maybe you would find one you like....I have found not just one but many....good luck with your search...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,767 times
Reputation: 11
If you are not already using zillow.com I would start because u may prefer it over realtor. WE have high property taxes here in the soutside of jax for 2 reasons. 1-florida doesn't have state income tax. 2-home values in those area's are fairly high. All the areas mentioned are nice and relevant to most suberbs around the south. If you are going to relocate, it is extremely important to visit prior to moving. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,536 times
Reputation: 12
Thanx for the info especially about zillow....
I have spent some time around Jax Beaches, and did went to see some houses for sale especially in pvb...I really liked it....Again thank you for your helps
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM
 
65 posts, read 185,227 times
Reputation: 33
What type of restaurant are you planning on opening? Good to know to determine what area for the restaurant and maybe that determins which area is better for you to look for a home. Also are you working with a realtor yet? Friend of mine is a great realtor and she knows the area very well and probably can help you look up tax info etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Mandarin)
2,504 posts, read 5,660,453 times
Reputation: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaninjax View Post
If you are not already using zillow.com I would start because u may prefer it over realtor. WE have high property taxes here in the soutside of jax for 2 reasons. 1-florida doesn't have state income tax. 2-home values in those area's are fairly high. All the areas mentioned are nice and relevant to most suberbs around the south. If you are going to relocate, it is extremely important to visit prior to moving. Good luck!
I would like to say that Zillow does a pretty poor job of valuation of properties listed. Also, Zillow is not exactly the most up-to-date information on current available listings. It's gotten better in recent years, but Realtor.com is better on that front. There's a better portal available thru some local Realtors, which is called ListingBook. It's updated as soon as the actual MLS listing is updated. You can also see recent sales data and run your own analysis on your searches. My past customers have really enjoyed using it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,536 times
Reputation: 12
Thank you EricBoyd for your input.. I'll check out listingbook.com as well
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,536 times
Reputation: 12
thanx harajuka
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
3,530 posts, read 7,512,343 times
Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by krepedia View Post
Dear Friends, I'm 40 years old single, but looking to raise a family once relocating to Jacksonville within the next 3 to 4 months.I'd like to find a home between 200k to 250k price range, and hoping to get some advice from locals.My research always coming up with many homes within my price range areas like ponte verde, ponte verde beach, southside, san marco, jax beaches,mandarin...These areas are also beign suggested as "nice" areas by locals....However I'd like to understand few more details...Are most houses always in a community(like gated or not gated, but ccd fees and home owners association fees are always present)
My current house in Albuquerque,NM is not in a community like that, its in a really nice part of town, I get to do my landscaping, move my yard therefore there are no additional fees like ccd's or hoa fees....I do pay my property taxes of course...
The second thin is property taxes....I'd like to keep it below $2000/$2200 mark....but during my research(using realtor.com) within the same zip code around 235k homes can range $1500 to $4500.... As far as I understand Jax sits on 2 counties, and Duval county is little less as far as the property taxes...Can anyone also give me an example of utility bills for a house around 3 to 4 bedrooms, 1600 to 2000 sq foot....
One other major factor I'd like opinion is my planned businnes....
Hoping to open a little restaurant....I'd like to stay close to UNF currently I'm close to University of New Mexico, and faculty members and students are my major customers....Hoping to establish similar in Jax....Thank you all for your helps and opinions.
1. No need to live in an HOA.
2. Check out San Marco and the Riverside & Avondale historic district. In you're price range and pretty popular/nice areas. If you want a very nice home for the same price, and in an up & coming neighborhood, check out the Springfield historic district. Other areas like Ortega and San Jose will be above your price range.
3. Jax doesn't a college/university feel to it...at all. There is no one area of town where most students live. BUT, there are areas of town that mimic the vibrancy, funkiness, and social aspects of your typical college area. Riverside & Avondale historic district (previous mentioned) has a lot of that, as do part of the Beaches. Lots of young people in these areas., especially R & A. Going to the Riverside Publix reminds me of the Publix in Tallahassee....young people everywhere.

Also, btw, the urban core neighborhoods are considered very small business friendly. In fact, they have their own website/blog that encourages people to "go local" by patronizing local, uniques stores and events. It's call GoLoJax.

Enjoy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top