Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
How often would retirees need to get off the island, though? As long as there are grocery stores, a senior center, and library, and Costco on the island I've got most of my regular needs met. Unless I decide to take some classes at Flagler College, I guess. That could be one reason I'd need to go into the city a lot.
I've never heard of seniors taking classes at Flagler - and don't know if there are any special programs there for seniors. There are various programs at the state schools (like my husband has taken various courses at UNF). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Great post--thanks! How far is it to drive to MCO from St. Augustine?

Also, do the insurance rules kick in for >2 miles from the ocean, or is it also >2 miles from rivers and intercoastal waterway? I don't see how any property on Anastasia Island could get insurance if it's the second one, because the island just isn't that wide. If it's not possible to get insurance, that would, unfortunately, be a huge reason not to move there.
It's probably 2 hours give or take from St. Augustine to MCO. We rarely fly out of MCO - because JAX is a really easy "in and out" airport with decent service through CO and DL (and perhaps other) hubs.

It is probably always possible to get windstorm insurance - either through one of the new crummy under-capitalized insurance companies - or the "state company" - Citizens. If I had to get insurance through either of these sources - I'd want to have money in the bank for immediate storm losses - since I don't think they'll be in a position to pay losses quickly (and some of the smaller newer companies - and perhaps some of the older ones too - may go broke). This is a state-wide problem in Florida - as well as many other states on the east and Gulf coasts. Note that primary flood insurance is a federal program - and max limits are - if I recall correctly - $250k for a structure (and about $100k or so for contents). If you want to buy more flood insurance - you have to go into the private market. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I will also agree with Robyn to check out Ponte Vedra Beach. I think you'll find it will suit your needs. Close enough to St Aug, but not "in the middle" of it.

Also if i were in your situation I would also take a very close look at Ormond Beach, FL. It seems to always get great reviews as a place to live and retire. Comments on this site are also very positive for the town.
I don't know much about Ormond Beach - but it is really in a different part of Florida - central Florida. Closest small city is Daytona Beach (not my favorite) - and you're quite a bit closer to Orlando. I would check out the beach scene in the summer - since I reckon a lot of people from the Orlando area go to the Daytona area beaches in the summer. Might be pretty crowded. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's not good. What about Sam's Club or BJ's or some other large warehouse discount type of a store. I very much like to save money by buying things in bulk and then freezing.
Don't know about those places. You can look them up. FWIW - I will freeze a fair amount of stuff over the winter. But don't keep too much during the summer in case we get a storm that knocks out power. Last time we had a big outage in this area was - I think - in about 2005 when a lot of people in south St. Johns County - parts of Flagler County - etc. lost power for over a week after a tropical storm. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
We were thinking of checking out Ponte Vedra, as well. The big issue for me would be having lots of places to walk to, since taking long walks is a major activity for us. Someone told me Ponta Vedra didn't have many stores or interesting places we could walk to--but this person is not always reliable (that's one of the reasons I come to city-data instead of relying on hearsay from my friends).

I may have given the wrong impression about retirement communities. I have nothing against them--I'm just not necessarily looking for one. Mixed communities are great but it's not a big deal to me--if I'm in a community with all one color or all one age it wouldn't bother me. What is important is having stable neighbors (not lots of tourists rentals on the same street or empty houses).

Regarding new construction, this is another area where I may have given the wrong impression. Actually, new construction is attractive to me. Older buildings are nice, too, but if given a choice I prefer the look of the newer buildings. To me they're not sterile--I think of them as being fresh and new and pretty. Plus I like many of the newer features.
IMO - there are lots of places to walk all over the metro JAX area - but few are really interesting (if you're talking about something like walking in a big city interesting). I wouldn't be surprised if my HOA alone has at least 10-15 miles worth of roads (where people walk - ride bikes - etc. all the time). Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree with you about finding the already build homes that are now a bargain. What I really meant was newish construction, not brand new. I like the style of the houses built in the last 15 years or so. I like the idea of buying a house that's already built (and preferably at least 4-5 years old so that the landscaping has grown in a little).

I'm also ok with older homes. Some of them have a lot of character, and I like the idea of living near the Bridge of Lions which seems to be an older area. But with older homes I start to worry about termites and things like that. Plus, I just like the look of the more recent ones.
If you're talking about the St. Augustine side of the Bridge of Lions - that is an historic area with strict architectural controls. I kind of think you are all over the place - and really ought to visit here. Would give you more insight than 200 messages. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Not sure what you mean by "tacky" in reference to St. Augustine beaches. And if you mean by "classy" the type of people who frequent them, it is hardly possible to tell when people are stripped down to their beachwear (gated community or not). So I find your "tacky" appraisal a bit on the snooty side although I do agree that Jax Beach may be more rowdy (if that is what you mean) because you are apt to find a younger set.

Up and down the coast here the beaches, while not the best in Florida, are not the worst either. I have gone to almost every beach from Fernandina on down to Crescent and I evaluate a beach by the quality of the sand, the surf, access and cleanliness of the beach and the density of people during the summer (particularly on holidays). They are all pretty much the same (except for the density) although I would give St. Augustine beaches a leg up on the others from Ponte Vedra Beach on up due to the convenience of parking your 4-wheeler on the sand and not having to lug your cooler, umbrella, tent and all from an a remote parking lot.
FWIW - you may be right about the quality of new construction - but I think the places that were built hastily during the boom might not be so great either. A home is a big investment - and - no matter what someone is looking at (or where) - he or she ought to do some "due diligence" work.

I just think a lot of the housing stock in St. Augustine Beach looks ramshackle beach house tacky. Ditto with a lot of stuff north of St. Augustine and south of the Guana on A1A. FWIW - I like the philosophy of building cheap junky weekend houses in coastal areas that are prone to storms. And - when they get washed away - you build another cheap junky one. Unfortunately - with today's building codes - prices - insurance rates - etc. - etc. - this ancient method of thinking is kind of gone. And all we're left with is a lot of tacky overpriced beach places. Robyn

Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If you're talking about the St. Augustine side of the Bridge of Lions - that is an historic area with strict architectural controls. I kind of think you are all over the place - and really ought to visit here. Would give you more insight than 200 messages. Robyn
Actually I'm interested in the Anastasia Island side of the bridge. My guess is this is the section called Davis Shores. I'm not sure if it has architectural controls, but so far it looks like most of the buildings in that area are 30-80 years old. Not my first choice, but I will happily take a well built older building if it's in a location I like.

Well built construction is a must for us. I'll bet there are at least a few well built buildings on Anastasia Island, even if I do have to look at a lot that aren't.

We're visiting in January, but for now posting lots of questions is the best way to prepare for the trip. Plus, it's interesting, fun, and I'm picking up all sorts of useful info. What can I say--check out how many posts I have on city-data, and you can see I get a kick out of posting a lot.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
FWIW - you may be right about the quality of new construction - but I think the places that were built hastily during the boom might not be so great either.
Houses today, at least from my own observation, are built more hastily than houses at the height of the market and my guess is that in order to maximize profitability in a buyers' market builders are more likely to skimp. That is true of many industries, not just housing.

Quote:
I just think a lot of the housing stock in St. Augustine Beach looks ramshackle beach house tacky. Ditto with a lot of stuff north of St. Augustine and south of the Guana on A1A. FWIW - I like the philosophy of building cheap junky weekend houses in coastal areas that are prone to storms. And - when they get washed away - you build another cheap junky one. Unfortunately - with today's building codes - prices - insurance rates - etc. - etc. - this ancient method of thinking is kind of gone. And all we're left with is a lot of tacky overpriced beach places.
I do agree that houses back of the sand dunes in St. Augustine Beach are largely cheap decrepit houses, some of which are not even occupied and only used as getaway beach houses ruined by neglect and exposure to the elements. But on Anastasia and farther along A1A heading towards the Marina there are some very nice homes with alot of character that might appeal to the OP.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm interested in the Anastasia Island side of the bridge. My guess is this is the section called Davis Shores. I'm not sure if it has architectural controls, but so far it looks like most of the buildings in that area are 30-80 years old. Not my first choice, but I will happily take a well built older building if it's in a location I like.

Well built construction is a must for us. I'll bet there are at least a few well built buildings on Anastasia Island, even if I do have to look at a lot that aren't.

We're visiting in January, but for now posting lots of questions is the best way to prepare for the trip. Plus, it's interesting, fun, and I'm picking up all sorts of useful info. What can I say--check out how many posts I have on city-data, and you can see I get a kick out of posting a lot.
I took a look at the real estate listings in Davis Shores. Most houses were ugly or old or both. A fair number were 2 story - not exactly senior-friendly. I also think they are ridiculously overpriced for what they are (although what a buyer is asking - and what a buyer is willing to take - are 2 different things). Also - the main commercial strip leading to that area is really tacky IMO.

I realize that real estate prices/values in VA are much higher than those in NE Florida. So do yourself a favor. Don't get carried away because you can take money out of the house you own now. Do a lot of research. And - if you like the area in general - rent for at least 6 months before you even consider buying. So you can see if you like the area - and to get a "pulse" on the real estate market. We had lived in Florida for 20+ years before we moved to this part of Florida - and moved into a rental for 6 months before we decided what we wanted to do.

And just FWIW - I think the best values in Florida real estate today are waterfront properties in SE Florida. Heck - my father sold his house - a tear down (like the Davis Shore houses - except my father's house was newer and nicer looking) on a deep water canal 5 minutes from the ocean (no fixed bridges) that could accommodate an 80 foot yacht for $1.5 million in 2005. You could buy it today for $600k give or take.

Also note that the schools in that part of St. Johns County are kind of substandard by St. Johns County standards. Which makes the houses in that area less appealing to younger people with kids in school. As long as the schools in my part of SJC stay really good - I don't think we'll ever have any problem selling our house (although our current plans are to move from here into a graveyard). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville