U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Will I Be Gator Bait?
Yes - There are so many gators in the river I'm surprised you haven't been eaten yet. 6 33.33%
Maybe - Hmm... Sometimes you win some and and well... other times you just lose some (some as in a limb or two). 4 22.22%
No - Not a problem! Just stay near the edge and well clear of thick brush. 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
 
6 posts, read 14,137 times
Reputation: 11
Question Swimming In the St. John's River

I moved to Jax last week in a nice spot off of a St. Johns River inlet and am wondering how safe it is to swim in the river?

I plan to kayak it... but I'm a little curious about the alligator population density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Mandarin)
1,617 posts, read 2,625,689 times
Reputation: 709
I think the gators stay mostly in the creeks, so you're probably safe for a dip or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 PM
 
Location: On the banks of the St Johns River
4,256 posts, read 4,144,867 times
Reputation: 3321
There's gators in the river no doubt, the chances of you getting attacked almost nil. (unless you tie dead chickens onto your body) Your chances up in some of the creeks goes up dramatically, as thats where the gators live and usually feed. (there your like home delivery)I have seen hundreds of gators in the rivers and creeks over the years, I have even seen them while fishing offshore. Heck I even have a couple in ponds on my property. In Florida if theres water there's probably a gator in it or nearby waiting to get in it.

Dr's Lake has some
Julington creek is loaded with em
Arlington river has some
Ribault river has a lot
Ortega river has more than it's fair share
Cedar Creek only has a few...not much can live in that water

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 10-24-2011 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,209 posts, read 2,613,850 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbee View Post
I moved to Jax last week in a nice spot off of a St. Johns River inlet and am wondering how safe it is to swim in the river?

I plan to kayak it... but I'm a little curious about the alligator population density.
I dont think anyone has ever been attacked by a gator in the St. Johns. I think the river has more manatees than anything. Mostly gators are in ponds or small lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 AM
 
Location: On the banks of the St Johns River
4,256 posts, read 4,144,867 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I dont think anyone has ever been attacked by a gator in the St. Johns. I think the river has more manatees than anything. Mostly gators are in ponds or small lakes.
There's quite a few manatees in the river also, some downtown but most down river in Dr's Lake, Green Cove and Palatka. It is also not uncommon to see Porpoise in the river feeding on the outgoing tides up around the Arlington and Mill Cove area's. When we were kids we used to catch baby hammerhead sharks(10''-14'') in the river from the ocean all the way to Orange Park during the summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:39 AM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,648 posts, read 9,720,494 times
Reputation: 3117
Lived here since Jan '09 and started boating on the St John's in May '09 and have NEVER seen anyone swimming in that river! Have seen some tubing, waterskiing and wakeboarding done, but never seen anyone jump from a boat or dock into the river for swimming! Since the old St John's doesn't have any actual beaches along it, that I've ever heard of, that be a good sign that nobody swims in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: On the banks of the St Johns River
4,256 posts, read 4,144,867 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Lived here since Jan '09 and started boating on the St John's in May '09 and have NEVER seen anyone swimming in that river! Have seen some tubing, water skiing and wakeboarding done, but never seen anyone jump from a boat or dock into the river for swimming! Since the old St John's doesn't have any actual beaches along it, that I've ever heard of, that be a good sign that nobody swims in it.
We used to swim in it all the time!(I've lived here since Jan "56'') When we were first learning to water ski we spent more time swimming than skiing. I had friends that lived on the river in Orange Park they even had a diving board and a slide mounted on their dock. We used to swim from Orange Park over to a friends house...he lived in Mandarin. The Bolles School used to have a summer camp where you had to prove you could swim in the river before you could take sailing or water skiing classes (river swimming is different than pool swimming)

No! No beaches but go look at some older docks when yBTW our out on your boat see the wood steps and ladders attached to the ends of a lot of them? Guess what they are for?

BTW ... I learned to swim as a baby while my parents were stationed in the Canal zone in Panama..my dad threw me in the canal for my first lesson and said sink or swim....(I think it was a lesson?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
2,475 posts, read 2,434,202 times
Reputation: 568
you also swam uphill both way back then too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,648 posts, read 9,720,494 times
Reputation: 3117
There are the two key words......"used to"! Nowadays, with the reports of dead fish floating and the foam, don't think most people would swim in it. We step in it to launch/retrieve our boat, but that's it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
We used to swim in it all the time!(I've lived here since Jan "56'') When we were first learning to water ski we spent more time swimming than skiing. I had friends that lived on the river in Orange Park they even had a diving board and a slide mounted on their dock. We used to swim from Orange Park over to a friends house...he lived in Mandarin. The Bolles School used to have a summer camp where you had to prove you could swim in the river before you could take sailing or water skiing classes (river swimming is different than pool swimming)

No! No beaches but go look at some older docks when yBTW our out on your boat see the wood steps and ladders attached to the ends of a lot of them? Guess what they are for?

BTW ... I learned to swim as a baby while my parents were stationed in the Canal zone in Panama..my dad threw me in the canal for my first lesson and said sink or swim....(I think it was a lesson?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northside)
2,908 posts, read 3,395,405 times
Reputation: 2692
I'm surprised anyone goes swimming in the St.Johns River due to the toxic waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top