Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:46 PM

219 posts, read 510,148 times

Advertisements

We've only been here a few weeks and ever since the weather has been fantastic. Yes, we know the summers will be punishing but we've already seen more great weather here than we had pretty much all year back in St. Louis. After hearing the horror stories, we were surprised that our homeowners insurance isn't that bad. I don't think it's much more than we would have expected to pay for a similar home in St. Louis.

On the down side, driving here is odd; many red-light runners, tons of divided-highway-U-turns. Nothing stays open late. There's a 24-hour WalMart near the Avenues but that's it. Back in STL, Walmarts, grocery stores, Walgreens all had 24 hour stores. It's also weird not seeing baseball on TV 24/7... but that may fall into 'things I don't miss' category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
well, St. Louis is the best baseball town in the world. IT is football and spring football down here which is a change for me since I've lived in places where basketball was king.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,218 times
The food sucks..........and no MLB are the biggest drawbacks for this baseball and food lover.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 AM

8 posts, read 19,357 times
I moved from St. Louis to Jacksonville in 2002, stayed for 3 years & absolutely loved it. Didn't want to move away after that but had to for a job. We moved to Jax in November and I didn't wear a winter coat that first year! Your body does acclimate however, and I did wear one the next 2 winters. Summers are hot and you won't want to be outside unless you are at a pool or beach in the heat of the day. However, nights cooled off much more than they do in St. Louis & we found it to be pleasant in the evening much of the time, especially after it would rain. What I liked about Jacksonville is that it has all the amenities of a big city but feels more rural. We lived in Fleming Island where there are a lot of transplants and made friends for life.

We too missed baseball but were able to purchase a package through our cable provider that allowed us to watch most of the Cardinal games. Plus, we went to spring training every year and that was awesome! Good luck - I wish I was moving back!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 AM

77 posts, read 237,856 times
My biggest change was making room for all of the delicious bar-b-q that you find to eat down here! We moved down from Cincinnati 10 years ago, and while we miss baseball as well(MLB at a bat app has made this better), the better weather more than makes up for it.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
I can relate to all those who say they miss MLB. I also have baseball in my blood. My only consolation is that I can watch all the games by both leagues via a satellite package although nothing beats sitting in a stadium even if it costs a small fortune today.

The other thing that I miss is a radio station that pumps out hard news all day. PBS tries but is more of a forum. The other talk station on radio is mostly insider conservative propaganda. Not sure if this city would support a dedicated news station though ... a sports station maybe.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM

38 posts, read 68,715 times
Well we have been here for about a month and we are adjusting quickly. We love to explore new places to discover what drives it, where it came from and what it has to offer. We have tried a few local restaurants and a few chains (Zaxby's). One thing different here in restaurants is how salty the food is. Do others find that to be true?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
I lived in St Louis for 3 years and went to maybe 200 home games during that time,(82-86) so I know what your feeling. For those that miss ML baseball ..all I can say is try going to a Jax Suns game its extremely affordable and they play good quality baseball and it's very entertaining. Especially if you have kids and go on any Friday night, when they do the fireworks.
I went to so many Cardinal games because I got in free, as the condo's we lived in had 4 or 5 Cardinal players living in them and we became good friends.

As for the salty food I haven't noticed ...but then I am from here.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Adjusting to the heat/humidity, even though it got fairly hot on some summer days in Denver, CO metro.

Other adjustments were: no nice Country-Western nightclubs, no big rodeo's, no MLB......like in Colorado. We lived a year in Charlotte, NC metro and these things weren't there either. We did go to the Lake City Pro-Rodeo, which was "ok". Funny thing that my wife was one of the few ladies wearing a Resistol cowboy hat and Ariat Lace-up Roper boots there! Also went to the equestrian center last Jan for a Team Roping championship. It was also "ok", but have been to much bigger ones and with a lot more spectators.

One adjustment we didn't have to worry about was the boating scene! We have a boat and fit in (somewhat) when we tie up at the Landing. The "somewhat" is because we are an older couple (60's) and see very few boat owners there that are our age there.

So, getting use to the humidity, not being able to do a 2-step, see some really good rodeo action and no professional baseball are downfalls to Jax and the area, but we can live with it.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Adjusting to the heat/humidity, even though it got fairly hot on some summer days in Denver, CO metro.

Other adjustments were: no nice Country-Western nightclubs, no big rodeo's, no MLB......like in Colorado. We lived a year in Charlotte, NC metro and these things weren't there either. We did go to the Lake City Pro-Rodeo, which was "ok". Funny thing that my wife was one of the few ladies wearing a Resistol cowboy hat and Ariat Lace-up Roper boots there! Also went to the equestrian center last Jan for a Team Roping championship. It was also "ok", but have been to much bigger ones and with a lot more spectators.

One adjustment we didn't have to worry about was the boating scene! We have a boat and fit in (somewhat) when we tie up at the Landing. The "somewhat" is because we are an older couple (60's) and see very few boat owners there that are our age there.

So, getting use to the humidity, not being able to do a 2-step, see some really good rodeo action and no professional baseball are downfalls to Jax and the area, but we can live with it.
You wanna do a 2 step you need to drive up to Cotton Eyed Joe's on A-1-A just west of the ICW bridge in Fernandina. It's a fun honkeytonk.

There's usually rodeo events in Macclenny at the Baker county fair and in Green Cove at the Hog Jam at the fair grounds. I'm sure it wont equal a western rodeo but if you miss it that much it may soothe some of your cravings.

Ohh and by the way they may just be Class AA But I believe that the players get paid so they are profesional baseball players. Just not Major League yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville