U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2011, 04:24 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,512,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
Forgot one in my previous post:

The grass is rough. I miss being able to walk around barefoot in nice soft grass. Grass down here is hard, and it seems like so many places have ants all around that like to bite feet.
The grass is rough??? WTH!!! Is the toilet paper too rough also. Thats just nit-picky! LOL
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 PM

996 posts, read 1,128,117 times
Madcap: Skooba is just stating his opinion. I know many people (and canines) who have moved here from areas where lawns are very soft on the feet and tushey. Most of them have found St. Augustine grass hard to adjust to. My hardest adjustment continues to be fireants. I hate them!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:56 PM

ssclulow ... you did notice the smiley face thing didn't you? Try a fire ant bait, Amdro works well. And there are softer grasses ... Zoysia Empire sod comes to mind.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM

109 posts, read 180,662 times
I agree the lawn grass here is stiff and weird.
I also find the Mexican food very subpar.
Otherwise JAX has really grown on me and feels like home.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,886,656 times
Are we talking about saw grass? I remember that from Miami. Once you get used to the idea that barefoot isn't fun on saw grass, you realize this grass has a lot of positive aspects. For one thing, that grass is tough! Up my way you have to baby a lawn in some spots, and there are always a few bare patches no matter how much you water and feed and aerate. If you have saw grass, you can park a car on it and not hurt it in the slightest. It looks green and healthy all year long, and doesn't need much care. Works for me.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Are we talking about saw grass? I remember that from Miami. Once you get used to the idea that barefoot isn't fun on saw grass, you realize this grass has a lot of positive aspects. For one thing, that grass is tough! Up my way you have to baby a lawn in some spots, and there are always a few bare patches no matter how much you water and feed and aerate. If you have saw grass, you can park a car on it and not hurt it in the slightest. It looks green and healthy all year long, and doesn't need much care. Works for me.
No they are talking about common everyday St Augustine(Stenotaphrum secundatum) or Bermuda (Cynodon dactylon) grass. I don't think your saw grass and our saw grass (Cladium) is the same thing, ours grows in clumps in freshwater marshy areas and is 3-6' tall and looks like Pampas grass only the leaf/blades are serrated and will cut you if your not careful.

Freshwater marsh with Saw grass on Black Hammock Island
Attached Thumbnails
Biggest adjustment when relocating to JAX-cedebwr13.jpg  

Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 14,886,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I don't think your saw grass and our saw grass (Cladium) is the same thing,
LOL, you're right--they're not the same at all. What my friends call Saw Grass in Miami is more like grass you'd find on a lawn. The blades are very thick and tough, and walking barefoot on it isn't fun. Might be a really thick baded variant on Bermuda Grass.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
I've lived all over the South, so Jax wasn't a huge adjustment for me, but coming from MN, the weather is going to be a definite change! A good portion of the year is HOT...and not just hot, but humid hot! There are several months that you just don't want to be outside unless you're at the pool or the beach. Fortunately, both are close by, so that's a plus!

Although I doubt you'll feel the same way, I was shocked at how cold it could get in the winter. Of course, nothing compared to MN, I'm sure, but there were days last year that I had to keep reminding myself I was in Florida...pretty chilly!

Anyway, good luck with the move and I hope you enjoy Jax
Hi there, I'm reaching out to you bc of the helpful/friendly feedback given to couple relocating from MN. I too am looking to relocate asap from Marietta, GA - my dream is to live near the beach (I was born in Long Beach, CA) & get away from my unpleasant employer asap. I have someone available to rent my home here in GA, now all i need is a job #1 & a place to live #2. I'm thinking as a single, not so rich woman, I could possibly pull this off in a short time frame???? I work in the human resources department for a defense contracting firm, in an administrative role. I'm trying to pull off a dream & think with God's help it's possible. Any feedback you can provide on the job market would be great!!
I am intent on improving my quality of life ASAP :-)
Beach bum

Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 AM

216 posts, read 227,355 times
Default 'I too am looking to relocate asap from Marietta, GA'

I would advice caution about quitting any job in this economy in addition to the variables of being an absentee landlord and finding a job and place to live in another city.

I wouldn't advise anyone to relocate in those circumstances relying on future income in JAX, esp the beaches area.

The least I would do is get it all set up while keeping my job no matter how much I hated it ; but I have gotten very conservative economically.

You can live cheap near the ocean but it takes careful planning and legwork.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 12,466 times
I don't live in Jacksonville yet, but I have relatives that do. I'm originally from Minnesota, currently living in Maryland.

What I can tell you about the weather is that the summers are hot and humid, but they are really no worse than about 85% of Minnesotan summers when the humidity is thick enough to cut it with a knife.

Jacksonville is a very drive-centric town, so you will have to drive to a lot of the places that you'll go.

Politically, you'll find it to be a lot like any city which has prominent military bases. That means, significantly less liberalism than is generally found in the Twin Cities (except for that whole Michelle Bachmann thing, but I'm pretty sure she's from an entirely different planet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville