Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,602 times

Advertisements

The influences driving the job market here, and evidently just about everywhere, are complex. Depends on your skills, experience and the type of job you seek. I see a lot of jobs in the insurance, health and service sectors. But there are a lot of people out there competing for these jobs. And Yes, it's hard to secure a job here from out of state. I tried to get an interview for landscaping positions here all last winter from Colorado and no success at all. Finally moved here last spring...my wife has a good job in retail, but after working pretty regular all summer the landscape work has dried up. I don't think it will get better anytime soon. Read In the NYT that there is nothing the president or congress can do to solve this job crisis when the root of the problem is that the overall market has undergone a paradigm shift and employers are finding ways to provide value to their customers without new hires. So you have to figure out how to provide real value to a potential employer, no matter what you do. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,259,030 times
Well, I know that each freeway and some streets at 8AM or so is awefully crowded and it isn't just high school or college traffic! There are a lot of employed people here in Jax, but unfortunately it seems to me that nobody is leaving there jobs and very few new jobs are being created!
Terrible situation, just terrible!!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,479,286 times
I wouldn't leave my job as I moved down here with my Charlotte salary!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,259,030 times
Obviously that means that your "Charlotte salary" is higher than you would get with a Jax salary for the same position......right?

My wife was making $10K more on her position in Concord, NC than she is here, BUT, her vacation/holiday benefit is much, much better and 25 less miles to drive to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I wouldn't leave my job as I moved down here with my Charlotte salary!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:13 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,479,286 times
Yes, I believe it is higher. I have a longer commute here, but no state tax. Benefits are the same since I'm with the same company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville