Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,445,706 times

Advertisements

The sun is supposed to come out tomorrow - and we're thinking of going to St. Augustine to see the lights. Also thinking about dinner at 95 Cordova. Haven't been there for quite a while. Any comments about recent dining experiences would be appreciated. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,491,084 times
We had dinner at 95 Cordoba 2 weekends ago,12/2-3/11 when we went down to St Augustine for the First Friday Art Walk. Friday evening we ate at O'Steens and Saturday evening we ate at 95 Cordova after the Art Gallery meet n greet. The food per usual was excellent, my wife had the Poulet Rouge Chicken and I had the Sea Bass. The only complaint we had was that the wait person seemed very distant and unfamiliar with how a waiter in a first class restaurant is supposed to actually provide service. But that won't stop us from going back there again anytime soon.

Hmm!!! Maybe an early seating for the Christmas Day Grand Buffet. Sounds excellent!!!

http://www.casamonica.com/_files/_pd...uffet_2011.pdf

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks for your response. Well we had dinner there last night. And the opposite experience. Food was some hits - some misses - and somewhat overpriced IMO overall (considering the level of cuisine). But the service was really excellent. And - best of all - if you have something at the bar or the restaurant at the hotel - you can park in its garage for $5 for the entire evening. A pretty good deal considering how bad parking can be in downtown SA at night this time of year.

We also took a carriage ride. Haven't done that in a few years. Wonderful evening to do so. I think I know every part of every possible carriage ride by heart - but they're still fun.

Only word of caution - at least for the next week or so. With the warm weather - the fog is starting to roll in off the ocean pretty good by 5 pm along A1A. So we drove down on A1A - but came back home on US1 and Nocatee Parkway (think the fog at about 10 pm or so on A1A would have been pretty awful). Robyn

Old 12-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Yes it is a bit pricey, but you said you had been there before ..I guess the...''Haven't been there for quite a while'' Didn't really register to me. Seems like the prices have gone up some in the last 5 years or so, but not so you would really notice it if you go there fairly often.

Have you tried 11 South in Jax Beach, it has quickly become one of my favorite places down there to eat. Replacing Ocean 60, but just barely.

Eleven 11 South Fine Dining Restaurant Jacksonville Beach, Florida

216 11th Ave S
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32233
(904) 241-1112

Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM

We can afford what it costs (am used to paying $100+ or more pp in excellent restaurants when we travel).. I just think the food was pricey for what it was. I had the pork osso bucco - which seemed like it had been braised for about 30 minutes an hour earlier - as opposed to the 2-3 hours necessary the day before to make it melt off the bone. (I make excellent short ribs - so I know how to braise this kind of stuff.) I brought home the pork I didn't eat (most of it) - and I'll see what I can do to improve it for another meal.

The restaurant was kind enough to comp us the special dessert that started tonight when it ran out of last night's special. The macaroons were very good. The chocolate truffles were still kind of frozen (brought those home too).

We pretty much gave up on 11 South a year or perhaps more ago because the meals we had there were inedibly salty. Salt should enhance a dish - but not be the dominant flavor. Like a silent partner. I guess there are people who like an overwhelming flavor of salt - but I am not one of them. Robyn

Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We pretty much gave up on 11 South a year or perhaps more ago because the meals we had there were inedibly salty. Salt should enhance a dish - but not be the dominant flavor. Like a silent partner. I guess there are people who like an overwhelming flavor of salt - but I am not one of them. Robyn
Oh well! We have never noticed anything like that.there The only place we ever noticed excessive salt usage was at Ruth's Chris. So we stopped going there 10 years ago because of it. Plus we found out we like Morton's better anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville