Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM

18 posts, read 40,482 times

Advertisements

dear Jax residents, I am new to Jacksonville with 3 little kids, we moved a month ago from MD and still learning to like this place.
Except for the sun and nice beaches I have not found anything impressive here. Help me find the good stuff so that we can start to enjoy our lives here and have fun. I miss our old place, friends and the convenience of life there, the choice of places to go, activities for kids...I miss Trader Joe`s grocery store. How comes there is none in such a big city as Jacksonville?
We have visited Sunshine park in Jacksonville beach that we liked a lot, Hanna park, downtown, San Marco, st. John`s city center... and St. Augustine really got under my skin, loved that place.

I am looking for recommendations for parks, bike trails, sports activities for kids around 3 years old, ballet/dance studio for kids.

Can you give me a good word about Alimacani Elementary School? I hear everywhere how poor quality are Duval County public schools and I hoped that getting into Chet`s Creek or Alimacani Elementary school districts would guarantee excellent education for our kids, but now we fell in some doubts regarding Alimacani school.
Any experience with JAA montessori school?

Anybody has experience with preschools - Kingdom Kids on Gate Parkway vs. Community Presbyterian on Atlantic Beach vs. Hodges Blvd. Presbyterian (that shall be the best, however near to impossible to get into)

any good local kids shoe store? I used to buy shoes for my kids in one local store, that carried more expensive but high quality shoes for kids and what was amazing - twice a year they had a huge sale, when everything was for sale for $15 a pair of shoes. Is there anything like that in Jax?

Are the people in Jax really friendly? I expected that the general rule of the more south you go, the warmer weather, the more sun, the friendlier are the people. Well, I do not feel the warmth in the people I meet here. Our neighbors rarely respond to the greeting, mostly they pretend not to see me and trying to avoid any eye contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,502,656 times
Quote:
I miss Trader Joe`s grocery store. How comes there is none in such a big city as Jacksonville?
you are acting like Trader Joe's are common in the US. They just entered the Florida market and have yet to enter the Texas market.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,882,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
you are acting like Trader Joe's are common in the US. They just entered the Florida market and have yet to enter the Texas market.
Exactly, they're really not all that common in most parts of the US.

Also, it sounds like you're not allowing yourself to enjoy what you have. You're spending too much time missing what you had. Sounds like it wasn't your decision to move?

Either way, like anywhere, Jacksonville is what you make of it. I've been here a year. Have found numerous things for my family (2 young boys) to do and still lots more we haven't done.

There are more parks than you can shake a stick at. Try different beaches. They all seem to have a slightly different feel.

Specific suggestions on what to do depend on what you and your family enjoy doing. I know many people who don't enjoy taking their kids to a park for a hike or exploring new areas. I guess we're just easier to please.

I've also not found people to be rude around here. Overall, I've found people to be very nice and friendly. YMMV

Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Well, maybe not, but they were common it the area I lived before. And Jacksonville is much larger city with much larger population, so it was kind of surprising not to find TJ`s here.

Sorry, but I did not find your answer helpful, well, not even being answer to any of my questions.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Exactly, they're really not all that common in most parts of the US.

Also, it sounds like you're not allowing yourself to enjoy what you have. You're spending too much time missing what you had. Sounds like it wasn't your decision to move?

Either way, like anywhere, Jacksonville is what you make of it. I've been here a year. Have found numerous things for my family (2 young boys) to do and still lots more we haven't done.

There are more parks than you can shake a stick at. Try different beaches. They all seem to have a slightly different feel.

Specific suggestions on what to do depend on what you and your family enjoy doing. I know many people who don't enjoy taking their kids to a park for a hike or exploring new areas. I guess we're just easier to please.

I've also not found people to be rude around here. Overall, I've found people to be very nice and friendly. YMMV
I would love to enjoy, what I have, the problem is, that I do not really know what I have. Why do not you, instead of analysing me, give me some good tips. I thought I was quite specific in what I am looking for - read again - good parks, playgrounds, biking trails, sports activities for little kids, perhaps tips to some family/kids events. How did you get the impression I do not like to explore new places and go to hike in the park? In fact, we love to explore new places. We used to go to different place every weekend.

I know there are recources on Internet where I can search and then go and try - well I hoped I would get true recommendations here from people`s own experience and true opinions. I just do not love to go somewhere where Internet of some exaggerating tourist flyer says "picturessque" and then being disappointed by that place. I hope you people will not stone me, that I want to know true opinion and advices of people who live here for years.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,502,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger31 View Post
Well, maybe not, but they were common it the area I lived before. And Jacksonville is much larger city with much larger population, so it was kind of surprising not to find TJ`s here.

Sorry, but I did not find your answer helpful, well, not even being answer to any of my questions.
I don't answer questions, just walk to the beat of my own drum.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM

And is there anybody, how can help and answer some of the questions? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville