Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times

Advertisements

it is easy
when hubby upgraded something in my computer he forgot to reinstall it so when I had my friends major landscape project last week I had to print out a picture of his house then print out pictures of the different palms we were interested in using and place then on the other picture I don't know which was funnier the look on my friends face or the nursery guys face when I pulled it out
lol with the program
you put a picture of your house then you can add things like trees and stuff
the nice thing is you use real looking trees
I am not sure the exact name I will look
but I have no problem with you borrowing it to upload to your computer
lol we can have john buy us lunch maybe over at the rennas by you and I can bring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
as much as I love Sweetbay Magnolia they are messy so I don't know if I would want one in the back near the pool .

You can rent a sod remover from the Big Box stores in case your soil is not as sandy as rivs which will make pulling up the sod easier.
hubby we (mostly hubby) put in all the back beds and I wish we had the sod remover and it wasn't 90 degrees the day we decided to attempt the project
Magnolias do have a reputation for being messy, but I always thought that was just for the Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora)? The Sweetbay Magnolia (Magnolia virginiana) is basically evergreen - it doesn't drop its' leaves. That's kind of why I recommended it, actually, because it is green year-round and flowers in the summer (white flowers that will drop to the ground, but there are not too many of them). The BIG Southern Magnolia - the Magnolia grandiflora - is gorgeous, but huge and nothing grows under it, so I really would recommend against that variety. The Sweetbay can get 50 feet tall in perfect conditions, but usually only reaches 20 feet (and it's narrow too - about 15 feet in width). I have quite a few out back and I love that they are green all year.

Up near the pool, I would not plant anything except maybe grasses, palmettos or palms (or leave some lawn) - most things will get messy if planted right up against the pool.

Very good point about the soil - I'm in a Sand Hill area, so my soil is little but sand (really good for planting actually....great drainage ). I still got a workout tearing up the grass, but I was able to do it by hand. You might want to test a small patch to see how it is in your yard - just be sure to make a cut where you want to pull, you still need a cut to get it going.

Also, if you go for more hardscaping, the big thing now is to make it water-permeable. Too much solid hardscaping (like cement pads) leads to runoff which leads to water problems (in our case here in Jax, river problems). Flagstone is easy to lay and you can grow groundcovers in between the flagstone or fill it in with fine mulch or gravel.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

I still got a workout tearing up the grass, but I was able to do it by hand. You might want to test a small patch to see how it is in your yard - just be sure to make a cut where you want to pull, you still need a cut to get it going.
lol then there is luis

Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
lol then there is luis
Yes, paid help is a good thing!

Why do I always forget that and torture myself?!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Yes, paid help is a good thing!

Why do I always forget that and torture myself?!
yeah don't forget the edger experience

Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
yeah don't forget the edger experience
You had to go there.............

Old 12-14-2007, 05:33 AM

yup

Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Karla, is the software you mentioned for Windows PCs?? Im a Mac user, so I wouldn't be able to use it if thats the case.

There are 4 computers in our house, all Macs.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Karla, is the software you mentioned for Windows PCs?? Im a Mac user, so I wouldn't be able to use it if thats the case.

There are 4 computers in our house, all Macs.
good question I will look at it when my hubby gets home and gets it from where ever he put it .

Old 12-17-2007, 05:21 AM

12 posts, read 33,515 times
I also found this, it may be useful.

http://www.floridayards.org/interactive/index.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville