Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I've been in Jax for 20+ years, not long enough?
Evidently not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,582 times
Quote:
I've been in Jax for 20+ years, not long enough?
sure it is, I'm simply sharing a viewpoint that I've heard in my office many times when I've discussed this with coworkers. I am not allowed to share a viewpoint of other lifelong Jacksonville natives? Is there zero chance that this is a "boy cries wolf" situation like the others I've heard rattled off when discussing downtown revitalization?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
I'm a lifelong resident, who is the child of lifelong residents, who are both the children of lifelong residents... So I'm like 3rd generation. My dad's grandmother lived in Springfield in a big beautiful house (that is now a vacant lot). So he was around firsthand to see the decline of these areas, and it happened over time and naturally - nobody forced people to move away. And you aren't going to force people back in.

I think the city tries too hard when it comes to downtown. They try too hard and they put up too many barriers to those who would start an independent business downtown.

Or they opt for the "festival" method of getting people downtown. Yeah, it was full-up for the Jazz Festival, and the fireworks shows, and for Art Walk... but then what? No business can depend on one night a month of sales. Nobody who goes downtown for the Art Walk is going to experience downtown - they're going for the Art Walk, and if they moved the event to San Marco or Riverside or something, the crowd would follow.

So now they're supposedly renovating the Chamber of Commerce building. Great! We'll have a beautiful new Chamber of Commerce building and..........? But hey at least a bunch of movers and shakers got a photo op and the chance to feel good about themselves.

I would love downtown to come back to life - my wife and I travel to several big cities a year to enjoy the "big city downtown" experience. It'd be great to have it at home. But it just can't seem to catch on in Jacksonville, and those of us doubting that it ever will aren't "naysayers." We've just heard it before and frankly are tired of hearing it.

*pant pant* rant over!
You are right. No business could survive with only 1 or 2 nights worth of business.

Hint: that should tell you that ALOT more people spend time & money there than you are aware of - more businesses are opening than closing.

Also, people enjoying Jazz Fest & Art Walk & The Landing & (insert event/unique venue here)......you think these things would be nearly as popular or well attended if they were in Mandarin, or Hodges Blvd? Heck no they wouldn't. Creative, eclectic events and venues are successful in creative & eclectic environments, that's why all the popular Arts are either in the Urban Core of Jax and the Beaches.

Anyways, the new Chamber building will be great. It's hard to imagine how the new courthouse was designed & built as a McMansion and the JaxChamber building is going to be modern and trend setting.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM

40 posts, read 70,830 times
Quote:
You are right. No business could survive with only 1 or 2 nights worth of business.

Hint: that should tell you that ALOT more people spend time & money there than you are aware of - more businesses are opening than closing.
This leads me to wonder if maybe there are resources available to business owners before they decide to open. For example, the Small Business Administration has a wealth of resources, from developing a business plan to basic bookkeeping.

There's a wealth of public information that the City of Jacksonville could aggregate and make available to those who are willing to invest in the urban core. The City should have an interest in making it as easy to succeed as a small business owner since sales translates into taxes and money flowing through the local economy.

The above is simplified, for sure, but it doesn't seem that Jacksonville has a business-friendly climate unless you consider large corporations.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 AM

278 posts, read 664,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMikeJAX View Post
This leads me to wonder if maybe there are resources available to business owners before they decide to open. For example, the Small Business Administration has a wealth of resources, from developing a business plan to basic bookkeeping.

There's a wealth of public information that the City of Jacksonville could aggregate and make available to those who are willing to invest in the urban core. The City should have an interest in making it as easy to succeed as a small business owner since sales translates into taxes and money flowing through the local economy.

The above is simplified, for sure, but it doesn't seem that Jacksonville has a business-friendly climate unless you consider large corporations.
There's lots of free info - in fact the Small Business Administration has an office at UNF and they'll speak to you, at length, one-on-one, for free. They'll also give you a wealth of information on SBA loans, local business requirements, etc. The problems here in Jax run deeper than that.

Landlords who own downtown property tend to charge high rent and are unwilling to upgrade the property. My dad and I went looking for art studio space and several of the places we looked at needed new drywall, new electric, or new plumbing - all of which was to be done at our expense. This might be the norm for cities with healthy, vibrant downtowns, but Jacksonville isn't one of those places.

It seems many landlords here would rather property sit vacant than go out of pocket to upgrade, or come down on the rent a little.

Not to mention, the mindset of the majority of local residents has always been "let it go" or "tear it down" as regards any historic properties or older parts of town. Yeah, this is anecdotal, but talk to any random sampling of longtime residents (the ones more likely to vote and complain) and you'll hear pretty similar sentiments about not spending tax dollars downtown, not seeing the point in saving old buildings, etc. Probably a combination of the middle class here struggling to stay afloat and the sense that they've been burned on downtown so many times before.

But hey, the new Chamber of Commerce building designs sure look nice.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhhampton View Post

WTH ???

Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,582 times
spammer has found the thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville