U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,425 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a young well trained podiatrist looking to relocate to florida from NY in June 2008. I have researched Jacksonville and Tampa and I am trying to decide which of these areas would be better for me both professionally and personally. I am married and planning to start a family in the near future and I am looking for an area where I would be able to start my own medical practice. My husband is a chef and makes amazing caribbean food and is looking to open his own restaurant next year as well. We don't really have any family in either city and are looking for the best place for us to start out and make a life for ourselves. Definately looking for a suburban area with access to a city/city life and somewhere affordable. I am leaning towards Jacksonville, and I have read many of the other posts about the job market, shopping, etc and none of this really pertains to us...but with anyone who has advice to offer for two young entrepreneurs who are looking for a nice place to start out...ie Jax or Tampa...all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:50 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,219,764 times
There's a lot of similarity in the two cities and a few differences. I'll point out a few of the differences:

*Jax has the Ocean, Tampa has the Gulf - there IS a difference. The Ocean has waves, the Gulf does not. The beaches are different. There is a breeze off the Ocean, not so much off the Gulf.

*Jax home prices and property taxes at this time are less costly and the values are holding better than Tampa as well (This is for Duval county - I'm not speaking of Clay or St. John's county). Also, hurricane impact is much higher on the gulf side, so home insurance will be more costly as well.

*There's an old adage that suggests you will find more NorthEasterners on the Atlantic Ocean side of Florida and more MidWesterners on the Gulf side of Florida.

I think you'd fare well in either city with your businesses. Both cities have the income levels and the populations to support your industries. I think it will mainly boil down to your personal preference; seeing which city you prefer .

Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 52,478 times
Good luck in your decision ...

I can only tell you from my experience .. I was born and raised in Tampa and lived there for 27 years .. I have lived in Jacksonville for 7 years.

I much prefer Jacksonville over Tampa. I think this area is much better to raise a child in than Tampa. I think of Tampa, I think of a concrete jungle .. Jacksonville has beauty and as stated above .. the Ocean which is WAY better than the Gulf!!

Of course you have to weigh all the pros and cons of each city yourself .. keep doing your research and I'm sure the choice will start to become obvious!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM

95 posts, read 385,009 times
Jacksonville would be your best choice. There is a new Baptist Medical Center on Old St. Augustine Rd. They have also built medical offices for physicians. Currently, I believe there is only one podiatrist. Baptist Hospital is one of the best, we have several here. Also, this area is growing. There is a new school being built right across the street from where I live, it is called Bartram Springs. Also, your husband would not have any problem with establishing his restaurant. I am 15 miles from St. Augustine Flordia. So much to do there. I am also 10 miles from a huge mall (The Avenues) There are so many grocery stores and banks in this area. You can be closed to A-rated schools, your medical practice, activites for adult and children. there is also a new shopping center being built within blocks of the hospital, lots of retail space there for your husband's restaurant. Housing is very good here also. As you know it is a buyer's market. Many new homes and re-sales. Crime is also low in this area. You can do your research using zip code 32258 and check out BartramSprings.com Hope this information is helpful.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,425 times
Thanks vpdianne,

The information you gave was really helpful and I will be using that zip code in my next housing search. I am strongly leaning towards Jacksonville and have already started to work with realtors...from all that I have heard it sound like JAX would be a better fit for me and my family than Tampa,

Thanks again for the advice!

Drcsgrant

Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 PM

95 posts, read 385,009 times
You are so very welcome.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 22,562 times
My husband, son and I had an opportunity to relocate to Fl. 7 years ago from Illinois. We could either move to Jax or Tampa. We spent 3 days in both cities, visiting churches, schools and meeting with realtors to view properties. Hands down, Jacksonville came out in all 3 areas as the best. We decided to move here and absolutely love it. We feel that this will be our "retirement home" someday. Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-08-2007 at 07:05 AM..

Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,849,691 times
Thumbs up JAX - hands down

We did the same thing before moving to Jacksonville. Went to Tampa first, then Jacksonville. Liked Jacksonville better - "wide open spaces", better ocean, cooler in the winter. A Caribbean restaurant might do quite well here. Tampa, I'm sure is saturated. A lot of podiatrists in JAX but area is spread out. Navy on West side - mostly get care from Navy podiatrist. Not as many retirees (older patients) as Tampa. It's gorgeous here in the winter. Good Luck.
P.S. I know about podiatry because my husband is one!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 30,084 times
Default need Caribbean restaurants here in Jax!

I can't help you with a decision to choose Tampa or Jacksonville but I can tell you that we are in desperate need of Caribbean restaurants/grocery stores here in North East Florida. There is a surprisingly large population of Caribbean immigrants here (my own husband is from Guyana) and we have almost no stores to go to. (We drive to Orlando for our groceries). In my humble opinion St Johns county (St Augustine) is definitley a better place to live than Duval (Jacksonville). Jacksonville is very "Southern" and its more like Georgia than Florida. I myself prefer Fort Lauderdale (where we used to live) and hope to move back there one day.

good luck on finding a new home!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,204 times
Default RE: Podiatry

I wish you success regardless of which city you choose. I have visited both and they seem to be lovely cities. If you like the hustle of a big city combined with the nostalgia and history of an old one, then Jacksonville is perfect...Jax is certainly offers big city living, and nearby is the historic St. Augustine. Personally, I would prefer that area although Tampa is a lovely area as well.

moderator edit: advertising

Again, wishing you great success in your move to your new home!

alicia

Last edited by mawipafl; 05-19-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: misspelled word; mod edit for advertising personal website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or