Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 25,840 times

Advertisements

this might have been before the surf maid and the copper stack...

the midway as awesome cheezy colored lights and palm trees and the Ghost & Mr. Chicken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 25,840 times
this might have been before the surf maid and the copper stack...
the seven seas was damaged in dora so probably before 64 (old!)

the midway as awesome cheezy colored lights and palm trees and the Ghost & Mr. Chicken!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 AM

34 posts, read 213,850 times
Default The Drive in's

The Mid Way was pretty cheezy...but that was the name of the game back then. There was a drive in on Beach Blvd, just past Penman on the RIGHT side. It showed its movies on the back of a tall building....there was a trailer park nearby. It had the one "screen" and it was pitted and in bad shape just from the Beach weather. Does anyone remeber the indoor putt-putt gold course that was on the "Famous" Jacksonville Beach Beach Boardwalk?? I think it was next door to the Ferris-Wheel. And Parker, MANY good times were had by a bunch of us at Tonys'...man, they had great pizzas...and there was always a good crowd there. It is too bad about Town and Country...I saw a lot of movies there...but....that is progress supposedly. And does anyone remember the McD's on University close to JU...It was a drive up only....NO inside...but picnic tables outside...like the Hardees' on Arlington Road before they remodeled. Keep the memories coming, my friends....they are all good.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,088 times
Default What was the name of?

Does anyone remember the surf shop that used to be on Beach Blvd? I think it was primarily a dive shop that sold surfboards as well. It was located on a dirt road just off Beach Blvd.

This would have been in the early 70s.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,088 times
JGusta1104 mentioned the Allen's Grocery store. Mike Allen owned it. His wife was my teacher in 3rd grade. They went out of business after a hurricane caused a power outage and they lost all the food at one of their locations.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 33,861 times
Surf/dive shop sold Hobie catamarans and Califano surfboards. I remember the McD's on University. Northside - remember the Skateorama on Lem Turner, A&W on Rowe and Lem Turner, Sonny's Lounge, the original Pig Barbeque, original McD's on Main St., Main St. Drive In, Honda shop on Norwood Ave.? Someone asked and Joseph's Pizza is still at Main & 64th - still the best pizza. Used to be a surf shop near the corner of Penman and Atlantic. Also one near the corner of Beach Blvd. and 3rd. Anyone remember these? Fox Drive in on Normandy? Lake Forest Drive In on Rowe Ave.? Ribault Drive In, Blanding Drive In? Downtown - Empress and Imperial Theaters? Capital Theater on Main St.? The list goes on and on.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Anyone remember Competition Cycles over on University? They sold Can-Am and Rokon dirt bikes, as well as Hercules bikes (which had a Sachs-Wankel rotary engine in them, like the old RX-7). The owner of Competition Cycles lived up the street from us, and I used to hang out there as a kid. I even got the Jimmy Ellis Can-Am jersey from the shop owner after it closed down.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM

9 posts, read 59,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcowboytree View Post
Surf/dive shop sold Hobie catamarans and Califano surfboards. I remember the McD's on University. Northside - remember the Skateorama on Lem Turner, A&W on Rowe and Lem Turner, Sonny's Lounge, the original Pig Barbeque, original McD's on Main St., Main St. Drive In, Honda shop on Norwood Ave.? Someone asked and Joseph's Pizza is still at Main & 64th - still the best pizza. Used to be a surf shop near the corner of Penman and Atlantic. Also one near the corner of Beach Blvd. and 3rd. Anyone remember these? Fox Drive in on Normandy? Lake Forest Drive In on Rowe Ave.? Ribault Drive In, Blanding Drive In? Downtown - Empress and Imperial Theaters? Capital Theater on Main St.? The list goes on and on.
I remember the old McDonalds on Main St. was a big hangout in the early 70's..there was a vacant lot across the street where we all hung out, was always packed on friday & saturday nights.
And I used to live at The Pig BBQ! They had great bbq sandwiches.
I used to go to a skating rink on Lem Turner, i guess it was Skateorama, i remember if you were going south on Lem Turner you turned left & went downhill & the old skate rink was there along with the remaining buildings of an old abandoned fun park...i always thought the place was kinda spooky. The skating rink had old wooden floors & had a ramp that we loved to fly down.. They also played that old organ music while you were skating...which was also a bit creepy to me but it was a really fun place to skate.
My mom & brothers & I would go to the A & W on Lem Turner also & I remember always ordering a Mama-burger. Remember Mama burgers, Papa Burgers?
Of course we always got the A & W root beer...& they would bring the food out on those metal trays that set in your window.
I was a surfer & lived on the Northside & my buddies & I always hitchhiked out on Heckscher Drive or caught a ride with a friend out to the North Jetties. The Jetties had a decent break when there was actually some waves to ride, the best surf was almost always in Winter. But I remember we had to cross 'The Flats' to get there, a long stretch of deep uneven sand that people were always getting bogged down in...you had to just gun your car & try to fly across & if you were lucky you wouldn't get stuck. There was usually a tow truck or two just waiting to pull people out. I hitchhiked most of the time as i didn't have a car & i started surfing when i was 15. Didn't think much of hitching back then!
i remember going to Hixons surf shop to get surfboard wax & look over the surfboards. I had a 7' 2 Ocean Pacific that was a great board. Also used to buy surf shirts there. There was another surf shop at Jax Beach but i can't remember the name of it...we used to also surf at Crossroads when there was nothing there but woods & dirt roads...it had a good break, & was really fun to surf there.
I went to Andrew Jackson, graduated in 73.
This is a great thread, keep it going!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Anyone remember Applejacks in San Marco?
Back in the early 80's I used to go to Applejacks all the time, they had some really great musicians do shows there... I saw John Sebastian there, Hot Tuna, & a bunch of others. There was a band that played there regularly on the weekends but can't remember their name...they had a cellist. They played original material & also some covers.
Applejacks was one of the few places that would have some really good performers & where you could see local bands & so forth. They also had a killer tuna melt!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPLTV2 View Post
Okay. Anyone remember Pritchett's Kitchen and the all-you-can eat popcorn shrimp feast on Tuedsay nights? Driscoll's and the Gran Faloon? Spectrum? The Pig and Lou Bono's (the original!)? Southside Women's Club dances? The Main Street Drive-In? Led Zepplin with 22,000 in the coliseum? Senior skip day at Jackson High School? Breakfast at Mom's then hitting the waves at the North Jetty or Little Talbot Island (north swell only!)? Oh, the memories!
I graduated from Jackson in 73. We used to skip school all the time & go surfing at the North Jetties....we always stopped at Moms for breakfast or lunch after surfing. Usually there wasn't much surf save in the winter but sometimes you got lucky. Anyone remember having to fly across 'The Flats' to get to the Jetties? I remember getting stuck there a number of times...as many people did, but it was the only way to get out there by car.
The Gran Faloon was a big hangout for my friends & I in the early 70's... there was another bar around the corner right next to it but I can't remember its name.
Saw many many concerts at the old Coliseum... Yes, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, ELP, Joni mitchell & used to see The Allman Brothers play at the old ball park.
Also, Andrew Jackson had a few 'walkouts'.
Remember Jackson had morning & evening sessions?
And we would skip school & hang out/hide out at the old Evergreen Cemetery across the street. Or go over to 'Eb's' & get some of those greasy fries in a cup...or to the Dairy Queen across from the school, they had great malts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville