Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

sounds like someone i may have known
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
I remember Hawthornes fruit juice.. the best ice cold coconut milk ever... gosh that is my fondest memory of downtown Jacksonville. I have never had refreshing delicious coconut milk like it since..
I left Jacksonville 29 years ago, But would make a special trip to visit family and hit that coconut milk stand. LOL.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 15,730 times
Any former employee's of Western Sizzlin' on Beach Blvd around? I worked there in the mid '70's till 1980 or there abouts.
I believe there were 3 in Jax, run by the Sheffield family.
Had some good times there. Good times in jax too.
Man I hate gettin' old

Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucles2 View Post
Man I hate gettin' old
LOL...don't we all?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:38 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
LOL...don't we all?
Word!

Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 AM

sorry, double post

Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 AM

One of the things I miss about Jax (besides my youth ) is shrimping.
When I first moved there, my dad bought me a 6' cast net and took me to this public boat ramp on the ICW (just over the bridge crossing the ICW on Beach Blvd).
There was this little bait shack there and there was also this old tramp freighter tied up there that had about a 20 deg list and a rumored hermit living on it, though I never saw him (I did see a light on it one night though.Kinda creepy )
Can you still shrimp there?
Is the shrimping still good ?
More important- would I still want to shrimp there?

Whoever started this thread, my hat's off to you. Brought back some nice memories. Hell, if I didnt have to make a real living I might never have left.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Ah, shrimping! My Dad and I used to catch them in numerous locations, mainly for his salt water fish tanks. He had a cast net (remember those? Round ones you had to put in your teeth to throw. Kinda like tossing a pizza!) and we'd mainly go out on Mt Pleasant Road as it was close to where we lived. We'd also try and catch fiddler crabs as some of the fish liked 'em!

We used to also go out to the ocean with a seine net to see what we could catch. He had a tank specifically for some of the things we'd haul in, it was amazing what you could find in some of the little areas inland as well!

Those were good times, but I don't miss the sunburns or all the sand in places where sand shouldn't be!

Oh, and since I am the guy you're hat's off to; I gotta admit once again that I stole this idea from the San Antonio section of this forum (I now live in Texas). But I grew up in Jax from about 1970 until I graduated from Sandalwood and joined the USAF in 1981. I still have fond memories of the town as well, but I don't recognize the place anymore when I visit...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
One of my favorite memories is the day after Christmas, every year, Dad would take us to Sears downtown to spend our Christmas cash on half-price toys. Walking in, the smell of hot buttered popcorn...miss those days when we had no responsibilities, just a wad of cash and dreams of a BMX bike!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 AM

Ok, a small detour off memory lane

I mentioned in a previous post that I lived in Jax between ;73 and '80 but that wasn't my first time there.
In the summer of '68 me and my brothers visited my dad at a hotel in downtown Jax called The Heart of Jax. We spent most of our time there in the pool except for the daily thunder shower ( usually between 3 and 3.15 in the afternoon, every day-uncanny ). My dad met his second wife there. She was a bartender in the hotel lounge. Is that hotel still there?

The following summer we went on a road trip to see the Apollo 11 launch. I remember the night we started the trip we had to pick up my dads girl friend ( by then she was working at a place called Nicholas's, I think). There was a Krystals near there and I remember him bringing back 2 huge sacks of burgers and fries and shakes to wash them down with. A cheap way to feed 9 kids back then

I wonder if Krystals taste the same now as they did back then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville