Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM

233 posts, read 766,306 times

Advertisements

Crawdaddy's, by the School Board building on the Southbank.

That place just popped up in my mind today as I was driving by the Wyndham on Prudential Drive on my way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM

25 posts, read 78,687 times
Default Extinct drive-ins and restaurants in Jax.

I was born and grew up in Jacksonville in the 60's and 70's. Moved to Montana to attend college in 1977 and never returned. But I still have great memories of JAX.
We moved around a lot. I attended Landon for 7th grade, Arlington Jr. for 8th, DuPont Jr for 9th. Wolfson 10th, Terry Parker 11th. I got tired of school and finished early at Central Adult downtown in '73.
I remember as a kid living in a neighborhood behind the Atlantic Drive In, we would go there every weekend. I remember the horror movie nights with Christopher Lee as Dracula, remember when the original building burned (about '64) and was replaced with a steel framed screen. Was still living in Jax when it came down and a Publix went in. I remember Midway drive In with their cool mini Ferris wheel and trendy snack bar. We also went to Town and Country theatre for the matinees. I've been cruising my old neighborhoods with Google Maps street view. The T and C shopping center looks deserted. And What happened to all the Krystal Restaurants? The Pizza Inns? There used to be a Krystal on the corner of Arlington and University and Krystals on every few blocks I seem to remember. I also have great memories of a place called Pizza Joes near where Beach Blvd and Atlantic merged. I remember Uncle Joes drive in restaurant across the street from the Atlanic Drive in theater. They had foot long hot dogs and the best BBQ ribs in town.
I will never forget the pocket bread sandwich place on North Univ. Blvd. I think they were called Camel Riders. I recently discovered that these are a Jacksonville invention, my favorite was steak and onion. JM Fields and Roses dept. stores gone ages ago I heard. One of my last jobs in Jax was at Ivey's in Regency Square. I heard Ivey's died out ages ago. I remember Dipper Dan ice cream at the T and C shopping center. Preston Drug store on the corner of Atlantic and Univ. had a fountain that made awesome cherry colas. So all the drive-ins are gone? Pic and save still exist? There was one at the T and C center along with a Winn Dixie.
Arlington looks run down using Google Street View maps.
I also remember in the 60's an ice cream store downtown called Berriers. They had these great steel bins that dispensed the ice cream. It always smelled of sour milk in that place. My first job in my life was at Boyer's Bakery near the corner of Univ. Blvd and San Jose. I was in 9th grade, and would get up at 5 in the morning to help make danish.
I followed TS Beryl this week as it made landfall over there. Tracking storms was always a hobby of mine when I was a kid. Although Jacksonville has had glancing blows, to my knowledge it is the first direct hit by a tropical storm since hurricane Dora in 1964. I will never forget that one. It's funny, I went online to watch a live news feed of TS Beryl's landfall, and who were they interviewing? George Winterling! Wow, I had not heard his voice in 35 years. He is an awesome meteorologist.

Last edited by LeeMT; 06-02-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times
LeeMT;
The Krystal in Arlington is now at Merrill Rd. & Hartsfield Rd.
Pic-N-Sav has been gone almost exactly 16 years now. They closed in June of 1996.
Roses has just opened up a new department Store in the mall where "The Tree SteakHouse" used to be on Arlington Rd. just north of Arlington Expy.(Not sure if it is the same Roses though)

Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
LeeMT;
The Krystal in Arlington is now at Merrill Rd. & Hartsfield Rd.
Pic-N-Sav has been gone almost exactly 16 years now. They closed in June of 1996.
Roses has just opened up a new department Store in the mall where "The Tree SteakHouse" used to be on Arlington Rd. just north of Arlington Expy.(Not sure if it is the same Roses though)
Hey thanks. Are you old enough to remember Central Adult High School in downtown? I finished high school there. Not a GED but high school. I've always wanted to get a copy of my HS diploma, but I don't think Central exists anymore. The year after I finished High School there, it was absorbed by what was then called Florida Junior College.
Do you remember the first FM station, about 1970. WIVY? Does it still exist?

Old 06-03-2012, 06:11 AM

I'm probably a little older than you are. I graduated high school and went off to college in 1972. I do remember Central Adult High School, but don't believe I know anyone who actually went there.
I do remember WIVY Y-103 it is now X-102.9 an alternative rock format station.
FJC (Florida Junior College) went on to becom FCCJ (Florida Community College Jacksonville) and is now called FSCJ (Florida State College Jacksonville) a 4 year institution.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM

233 posts, read 766,306 times
Quote:
Roses also has another location on Lem Turner, used to be a Kmart.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM

190 posts, read 391,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
I was born and grew up in Jacksonville in the 60's and 70's. Moved to Montana to attend college in 1977 and never returned. But I still have great memories of JAX.
We moved around a lot. I attended Landon for 7th grade, Arlington Jr. for 8th, DuPont Jr for 9th. Wolfson 10th, Terry Parker 11th. I got tired of school and finished early at Central Adult downtown in '73.
I remember as a kid living in a neighborhood behind the Atlantic Drive In, we would go there every weekend. I remember the horror movie nights with Christopher Lee as Dracula, remember when the original building burned (about '64) and was replaced with a steel framed screen. Was still living in Jax when it came down and a Publix went in. I remember Midway drive In with their cool mini Ferris wheel and trendy snack bar. We also went to Town and Country theatre for the matinees. I've been cruising my old neighborhoods with Google Maps street view. The T and C shopping center looks deserted. And What happened to all the Krystal Restaurants? The Pizza Inns? There used to be a Krystal on the corner of Arlington and University and Krystals on every few blocks I seem to remember. I also have great memories of a place called Pizza Joes near where Beach Blvd and Atlantic merged. I remember Uncle Joes drive in restaurant across the street from the Atlanic Drive in theater. They had foot long hot dogs and the best BBQ ribs in town.
I will never forget the pocket bread sandwich place on North Univ. Blvd. I think they were called Camel Riders. I recently discovered that these are a Jacksonville invention, my favorite was steak and onion. JM Fields and Roses dept. stores gone ages ago I heard. One of my last jobs in Jax was at Ivey's in Regency Square. I heard Ivey's died out ages ago. I remember Dipper Dan ice cream at the T and C shopping center. Preston Drug store on the corner of Atlantic and Univ. had a fountain that made awesome cherry colas. So all the drive-ins are gone? Pic and save still exist? There was one at the T and C center along with a Winn Dixie.
Arlington looks run down using Google Street View maps.
I also remember in the 60's an ice cream store downtown called Berriers. They had these great steel bins that dispensed the ice cream. It always smelled of sour milk in that place. My first job in my life was at Boyer's Bakery near the corner of Univ. Blvd and San Jose. I was in 9th grade, and would get up at 5 in the morning to help make danish.
I followed TS Beryl this week as it made landfall over there. Tracking storms was always a hobby of mine when I was a kid. Although Jacksonville has had glancing blows, to my knowledge it is the first direct hit by a tropical storm since hurricane Dora in 1964. I will never forget that one. It's funny, I went online to watch a live news feed of TS Beryl's landfall, and who were they interviewing? George Winterling! Wow, I had not heard his voice in 35 years. He is an awesome meteorologist.
LeeMT,
You sound somewhat like me....I was raised in Jax (a little later than you) and made the rounds on several schools at the beaches as well as few in Arlington and Southside before finally ending up in Nassau County. I moved away with the Navy in '88 but Jax will always be my home. My dad and several other family members still live there so I try to go home as often as possible. Jax seems to change by the minute. Something is different every time I go home. I definitely remember some of the places you are asking about but I had forgotten all about Roses. If you remember JM Fields and Roses you must remember Woolco, Zayre's and the soda fountain at Woolworth's in the mall. As for George Winterling...I think many, many of us grew up with him. He's the best of the best!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Yep I remember those stores too. I have not been home since I left in 1977 and I am sure Jacksonville would be uN-recognizeable to me. I've been looking at the beaches with google maps street view. Totally different. I remember a lime green colored walkway that spanned the street right where the beach entry was. I can't remember if it was Atlantic beach or Jacksonville beach. I wonder when they tore it down. Those were the days when you could take your car onto the sand but I'm sure you can't do that anymore. I couldn't see any evidence of the beach boardwalk, there must not be one anymore. I remember 90 by the Sea restaurant and Tico Taco restaurant at the beaches. I would be surprised if anyone remembers those from the 1960's.
Near Beach Blvd and Southside Blvd was a department store called Kings. On friday nights they would have crazy sales where they would announce on the PA system these crazy 60 second specials and everyone would run to them. It was funny.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:07 PM

You can't drive on the beach in Duval County anywhere but Huguenot Park. Across the river mouth from Mayport NS, at the north jetties. Out Heckshear Dr. at Ft George Inlet.
I also remember Tico Taco and 90 by the Sea. Do you remember Le Chateau in/on Atlantic Beach?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You can't drive on the beach in Duval County anywhere but Huguenot Park. Across the river mouth from Mayport NS, at the north jetties. Out Heckshear Dr. at Ft George Inlet.
I also remember Tico Taco and 90 by the Sea. Do you remember Le Chateau in/on Atlantic Beach?
I vaguely remember Le Chateau although we never went there. Wasn't that a seaside themed restaurant with aquariums in the waiting area? Does Little Talbot Island beach still go by that name? Our family liked it because it was always less crowded, but it had a reputation for having rip currents all the time. Probably made up, to keep it less crowded. ha. I haven't seen a sand dollar, a sea shell or a jellyfish for that matter - in 35 years. I still miss the ocean and always will. I have visited Newport, Oregon a few times over the years up here in the northwest, but it's nothing like the beautiful beaches of Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville