Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 37,213 times

Advertisements

How about Jacksonville's music scene in the 60's and 70's...The Illusions, Bitter End, Dalton Gang, Mouse & the Boys, Allman Joys, Second Coming, Mind Garden, One Percent, Sons of Satan, Doomsday Refreshment Committee, Miracle Sounds, Classics IV, Camelots, the Crypt, Molly Hatchet, etc. There were also some great places to enjoy them...the Jacksonville Beach Coliseum, Southside Woman's Club, LaVida's in Atlantic Beach, Lancaster's, by Regency Square, Woodstock Youth Center, Trednick Youth Center, St. Andrews Church, in Arlington, Comic Book Club (downtown and the beach), etc. Anyone remember the Beatles playing in the Gator Bowl on September 11, 1964, right after Hurricane Dora and President Johnson's visit to declare it a disaster. The opening acts were the Bill Black Combo and Jackie Deshannon; the show was sponsored by WAPE...remember Dino Summerlin, Leroy Cumbie, Mike Renieri, Dan Brennan (Dan's Dusty Disc's), the Top 5 at 5...

Jacksonville had a semi-pro football team in the 60's, called the Robins, and played in the Gator Bowl. Their running backs were "Possum Lee" and Fred *****rd, who later became football coach at Terry Parker.

How about rides up and down Beach Blvd., stopping at the Krystal, Shoney's, A&W, Putt Putt. At the corner of Beach and University, there used to be pony rides. The Midway, Atlantic and Southside drive-in theatres.

Surfing at Access 5, AB Pier, Jax Beach Pier, North Jetties, 34th St., Shrimpboat, Crossroads, Vilano, Anastasia, St. Augustine Pier, etc. Remember when you could drive on the beach at High Tide and still have the length of a football field to the ocean.

Been gone a long time, but have great memories of simpler times. Could go on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM

133 posts, read 526,736 times
MILLIGANS! Those cool 15 cent hamburgers and the black and white striped buildings.

Ocklawaha

Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM

22 posts, read 177,051 times
Default Annie-tiques

QUOTE=Since 1972;2061139]Annie Tiques was about where Sears at Regency is now. They had expensive hamburgers, and that's all I remember. Anyone remember Lum's restaurant? How about Nichol's Alley, from the disco era? It was in the K-Mart shopping Center on Beach at University, as I recall.

I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the Expressway Mall theater, just torn down. I also got my hair cut by King Arthur in that mall, shopped at Rose's, which became Century House and other stores, and later ate at Duff's Smorgasbord next door.

Speaking of movies, Star Wars opened at the Plaza Theater, which is now converted to something else. Emerson and Phillips Highway.

Where the Wal Mart is near Regency, all that sand, was the dumping ground of Nutri-Gro ("For Greener Grass"), which I think pumped septic tanks and dumped it in the dunes. That's why the area smells that way today.

Here's a great website about the beaches beach50s[/quote]
OMG--I use to hang at Annies when I worked at Riverside Hospital (now it is Starbucks) I am trying to find the Bahamma Blue Recipe for that blue drink that they served. (You only could drink one and you were set for the night. I went to Nichol's Alley for the wet t-shirt contest. It was fun!!(No, I wasn't in it. I remember the Arlington Expressway theatre--I saw Midway there.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Default fun in the 60s and 70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhauser View Post
How about Jacksonville's music scene in the 60's and 70's...The Illusions, Bitter End, Dalton Gang, Mouse & the Boys, Allman Joys, Second Coming, Mind Garden, One Percent, Sons of Satan, Doomsday Refreshment Committee, Miracle Sounds, Classics IV, Camelots, the Crypt, Molly Hatchet, etc. There were also some great places to enjoy them...the Jacksonville Beach Coliseum, Southside Woman's Club, LaVida's in Atlantic Beach, Lancaster's, by Regency Square, Woodstock Youth Center, Trednick Youth Center, St. Andrews Church, in Arlington, Comic Book Club (downtown and the beach), etc. Anyone remember the Beatles playing in the Gator Bowl on September 11, 1964, right after Hurricane Dora and President Johnson's visit to declare it a disaster. The opening acts were the Bill Black Combo and Jackie Deshannon; the show was sponsored by WAPE...remember Dino Summerlin, Leroy Cumbie, Mike Renieri, Dan Brennan (Dan's Dusty Disc's), the Top 5 at 5...

Jacksonville had a semi-pro football team in the 60's, called the Robins, and played in the Gator Bowl. Their running backs were "Possum Lee" and Fred *****rd, who later became football coach at Terry Parker.

How about rides up and down Beach Blvd., stopping at the Krystal, Shoney's, A&W, Putt Putt. At the corner of Beach and University, there used to be pony rides. The Midway, Atlantic and Southside drive-in theatres.

Surfing at Access 5, AB Pier, Jax Beach Pier, North Jetties, 34th St., Shrimpboat, Crossroads, Vilano, Anastasia, St. Augustine Pier, etc. Remember when you could drive on the beach at High Tide and still have the length of a football field to the ocean.

Been gone a long time, but have great memories of simpler times. Could go on and on...
You have brought back many memories to me I listened to Ape in the 60s. I grew up in Jax--I remember Access 5 and Crossroads. In the 70s--drank at the armidillo at jax beach. When I was a little girl you dressed up when you went downtown.They had an excellent little restaurant at May Cohens. May Cohens had a huge candy counter. They specialized in a candy called "Annaclairs" and the candy came in a black box with silver writing. No one believes me when I talk about Sears &Roebuck in downtown Jax. It was the greatest store. It had a garden shop a smoke shop a coffee shop and three cosmetic counters. It also had a bakery and a candy counter. Upstairs there was a really nice restaurant called the Jean Ribault room. Anyone remember this?--dcarlo

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Default mr dunderbachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I grew up in Jax but now live in San Antonio. There is a great thread going on in the Alamo City forum on places that existed when people were growing up here that I thought I would start for Jacksonville. It must be an interesting topic as the San Antonio one has over 125 pages!

Anyhow, I am a 1981 Sandalwood graduate, and worked for Winn Dixie most of my teenage years. However, I did do a brief stint at the Mr. Dunderbach's in Regency Mall twice, once as a teenager and a second time before going to UF in 1986. Back then, you could see both ends of Regency from the middle.

Also, there used to be a Putt-Putt golf course off of the Arlington Expressway, not far from the Matthews Bridge. And the Midway Drive-In theater on Beach Blvd, I think there's a Super Wal-Mart there now. The Alhambra Dinner Theater as well, is that still around? I know The Sheik restaurant is, which has been around since I was in high school over 25 years ago! And Big Daddy's bar on Atlantic and Southside near Regency was pretty easy to sneak into when you were underaged, from what I was told!

I'll be honest, I barely recognize the place when I visit these days; but I am sure there are some other residents from the 70s and 80s on here that remember a few of the Bold New City's icons from that time...

Cheers! M2
I loved mr dunderbachs!! It is now called the European Street Cafe or Emporium. There is one on Park St. And another was built just recently near the beach. Yes-- The Alhambra Dinner theater is still there. I saw Butterflies are Free there. I attended Lee Hi in the 70s. I now reside in NY but was born and raised in Jax..great memories.dcarlo OH! and by the way--A girl I attended John Gorrie Jr High with wrote an essay--what I love about Jacksonville and coined the term "Bold New City of the South.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM

Default May Cohens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
This is a long shot because you guys haven't talked about food much, but does anyone remember a bakery called May Cohen's? I think the spelling is right. My entire family is from Jax and though I spent many summers there as a kid and a bit of high school, this place had closed down before I got a chance to eat there. I have heard many, many, many stories of these fabulous cinnamon buns and biscuits from there. I love bread, so too bad for me, but my whole family waxes nostalgic about this bakery so I'm just wondering if any of you had heard of what happened to this place.
May Cohens was a department store that had a restaurant and made pasteries,cakes,pies,etc. They also had a huge candy counter. May Cohens was bought out by May Florida that later became Belks. dcarlo

Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Kuhns

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinjax View Post
wow, what a great thread.....how many of you remember the Christmas Holiday window at Kuhn Flowers on Beach Blvd? If you do have fond memories of this Jacksonville tradition, you'll be pleased to know that it lives on...my family purchased the business a few years back (a few times down the line from the original owners, Bob and Nancy Kuhn), and this is the 60th year that Kuhn Flowers has been doing business in Jacksonville....we still use the animated, life sized Santa and Mrs Claus and Rudolph that were built by another historic Jacksonville based business -- Sally Industries....they built the figures for the Hall of Presidents at Disneyworld...the mechanics/engineers over there say that the Claus' and Rudolph and some of thier most favorite creations, and love the fact that they remain in Jacksonville......it's something we love doing every year, and hope that if you're in town for the holidays, stop by the shop on Beach Blvd and feel like a kid again.....
Yes--I remember it well. The windows were done very elaborately and you stood in front for the longest time just taking it all in. There was so much detail it took awhile to absorb it all. Thanks for the fond memory. I live in NY now and loving it but my heart belongs to Jax. dcarlo

Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM

Default hazouris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth235 View Post
WOW ! Donna Deegan was a Hazouri. I remember when Tommy (ex-mayor) Hazouri was a semi-delinquint dishwasher at the Cork-N-Cleaver (I contributed to it some when I was a waiter there).

Does anyone remember when the now condos at the foot of the Mathews Bridge were called River's Edge? A lot of my friends who attended J U used to live there in the 70s and early 80s.

How about "The Keg" over off of Merrill Road (that area is starting to look scary). A lot of people who attended Terry Parker used to hang out there. I remember that is the place that I met the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on, Sissy Bolling. I was friends with her brother Bobby and didn't even know he had a sister. (sorry about that, I guess I got off-track a bit!).

Bye for now!
I went to Lee Hi and there was Bobby Hazouri and Janice Hazouri. Bobbi dated Jan Spratt.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Default Jacksonville memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPLTV2 View Post
Okay. Anyone remember Pritchett's Kitchen and the all-you-can eat popcorn shrimp feast on Tuedsay nights? Driscoll's and the Gran Faloon? Spectrum? The Pig and Lou Bono's (the original!)? Southside Women's Club dances? The Main Street Drive-In? Led Zepplin with 22,000 in the coliseum? Senior skip day at Jackson High School? Breakfast at Mom's then hitting the waves at the North Jetty or Little Talbot Island (north swell only!)? Oh, the memories!
I remember the Gran Faloon. Did alot of partying there. The Pig is still in business. I live in ny now but try to get back to Jax once a year. Do you remember Pop Barriers and their delicious corn dogs on a stick? How about the Golden Point that had great fish sandwiches.Denny Morans---Denny morans is now an exotic adult shop. The Rollerdrome. C &C grocery store. Pic and Save discount store. Atlantic Mills department store. House of Bargains with it's sawdust floors. I vaguely remember Pritchetts Kitchen. How about the Piccadilly Restaurant at Regency Square. The Emerald restaurant I think was on or near the Phillips Highway. It was the first restaurant I ever went to with a salad bar. They had the Best Macaroni salad. dcarlo

Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 95,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlo View Post
I went to Lee Hi and there was Bobby Hazouri and Janice Hazouri. Bobbi dated Jan Spratt.
I went to a kick-a$$ part at the Rivers Edge Apartments about 25 years ago. It was TPC weekend. Somehow my best friend and I ended up with gratis Media Passes for the tourney AND a free hotel room. Our room was next to Jeff Sluman's. [He's the one whose sudden death or play-off was marred by the drunk guy jumping into the water that surround the hole.]

Boy, those were the days. TPC was just starting out as a national [vs regional] tournament. The course was so new that if you tried to stand on a slope, the turf and all slid down the hill with you.

Just saw on WJXT that Sam Kouvaris and 7 other sports journalists were recognized for covering the TPC for over 25 years. That seems impossible! That's when I first met him. [btw - he is a great guy IMHO]

Anybody know whatever happened to Rick Tracy [Rock 105, "The Rude Crew"]? Where is Winston Dean now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville