Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

I subscribed to the Comcast Triple Play (Cable, Phone and Internet). However, I was shocked to see a charge of $3/month for rental of the Voice/Internet phone - especially since I had a cable modem. Anyways, the service is great but be aware that you have to add $3/month on top of that $99 / charge. It must have been in the fine print.

It's not a matter of budgetary reasons, it is the principle of the matter. Any lawyers around???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 AM

It's just misleading in that the person who 'set me up' (in more ways than one) didn't mention it. The guy who installed it said I wouldn't get charged for a modem. That's $42/year which is still less than conventional phones but it's the misleading principle that heats me up.

What do you guys think? Is this Class action material for all subscribers???? However, when the lawyers get through with it, we will get a refund of $20 TOTAL when Comcast finally stops charging that.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Comcast has been doing a lot of unethical things lately without letting their customers know. There was an article a couple weeks ago about them using a tiered system for their internet access & also sorta spying on people who are using BitTorrent clients & throttling their connections down.

Jacksonville REALLY needs a few more providers in the area instead of one single company that has a monopoly. Im pretty much forced to use Comcast in my home for broadband internet access. So I better like it, cause there aint nothing I can do about it.

titaniummd, if you dont need a landline, I'd just ditch it for a cell. Even if you dont get good service where you live, T-Mobile phones can use your wireless router to make & receive calls with a perfect signal. Hotspot&Home is the name of it. I have it & its unbelievable.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
It's just misleading in that the person who 'set me up' (in more ways than one) didn't mention it. The guy who installed it said I wouldn't get charged for a modem. That's $42/year which is still less than conventional phones but it's the misleading principle that heats me up.

What do you guys think? Is this Class action material for all subscribers???? However, when the lawyers get through with it, we will get a refund of $20 TOTAL when Comcast finally stops charging that.
Maybe you should check out Vonage.

I've had Vonage for three years, and the price and service are tough to beat. Plus, Vonage doesn't charge you for the phone adapter they send to you. The things I like best about Vonage are as follows:

1. The base price is $24.99/month for unlimited local and long distance, as well as all of the features (call waiting, e911, voice mail, etc.). If you rarely make any calls, they have a $14.99 plan with 500 minutes. I have the $25 plan, of course.

2. For only $5 more, you can add a "virtual number" in another area code. For example, I have a virtual number in the Memphis, TN, area that my family there can call. It's a local call for them, and it rings to my home phone here in Clay County! I talk to them at least 2 - 3 times a week!

3. The network unavailability number is cool. If my Internet service goes out (and with Comcast, it goes out at least once a month on me), and thus my Vonage service is inactive, then anyone who calls my home number will get a hold of me on my cell number.

Anywho, you may want to give them a try. If I'm not mistaken, you can keep the same number you have right now, even if you switch.

Vonage ought to pay me for the plugs I give them! But the fact is, I like them. They're not perfect, but they've been very reliable for me.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 AM

227 posts, read 970,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Maybe you should check out Vonage.
I also have Vonage and love it. The price for Comcast internet/cable and Vonage phone service is actually less than getting the Comcast triple play once you add in all the Comcast "extras" they don't tell you about. The comcast triple play price is also only for a limited time. Then they raise the price on all three services.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 PM

I am so used to the Cable internet so it's hard since the alternative is DSL by Bell South. Verizon has some other method of high speed access similar to DSL but is unavailable.

I have a LOT OF MINUTES for the Cell as you all have alluded. However, with the security system, I want to have a 'land line'.

I am still trying to decide between Safe Touch and Certified Security systems (both based out of FL).

Maybe there should be a Class action against them, eh?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
I am so used to the Cable internet so it's hard since the alternative is DSL by Bell South. Verizon has some other method of high speed access similar to DSL but is unavailable.

I have a LOT OF MINUTES for the Cell as you all have alluded. However, with the security system, I want to have a 'land line'.

I am still trying to decide between Safe Touch and Certified Security systems (both based out of FL).

Maybe there should be a Class action against them, eh?
I like Comcast for cable too. Mine might not be the most cost effective, but it's the combo I currently want:

Comcast Cable + Comcast Broadband = $122.00 including all taxes and fees and I'm long past the special rate, so this is my "regular" rate for expanded basic with HBO and broadband.

AT&T (was BellSouth) for an unlisted land line = $26.00 (it would be cheaper, but I added the unlisted feature recently). I don't even use this line except as a dedicated fax line or if I need to make "sensitive" phone calls (I want to be sure the goverment can hear my calls clearly as they listen in on my calls ).

Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Quote:

Actually, a guy from SafeTouch came out to my house the other day to try to get me to sign up for service, seeing that we already had a security system in our new home.

Anyways, we have zero landlines in the house & dont ever plan on getting one. The guy said they can monitor through your internet connection a couple ways & call your cell # if they need to contact you. Another way of doing it was with some satellite device (forget the name).

It costs extra $$, but he was gonna let me have it for free if we signed up because I told him there was no way were getting a landline just for the security system.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 PM

I had a visit from Certified Security that deals with Honeywell equipment. I was impressed. Now if I can only decide between the two. Certified has one complaint against them in bbb.org versus the dozens more for Safetouch...

Old 09-09-2007, 01:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
I had a visit from Certified Security that deals with Honeywell equipment. I was impressed. Now if I can only decide between the two. Certified has one complaint against them in bbb.org versus the dozens more for Safetouch...
Have you checked out epinions.com? I use that site sometimes to see what consumers say about products, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville