Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 11,796 times

Advertisements

I would like to know which areas in Jacksonville are the most diverse. Which area has a good mix, not predominantly white or not predominatntly black or not predominantly hispanic, which areas is a true melting pot and which areas surrounding Jacksonville have the best school districts. I've done a lot of research but I'd like to hear from the people in the area. I am considering moving to Northern Florida and I hear that Jacksonville is good although because it is so big , crime can be a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:08 AM

859 posts, read 3,604,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family1st View Post
I would like to know which areas in Jacksonville are the most diverse. Which area has a good mix, not predominantly white or not predominatntly black or not predominantly hispanic, which areas is a true melting pot and which areas surrounding Jacksonville have the best school districts. I've done a lot of research but I'd like to hear from the people in the area. I am considering moving to Northern Florida and I hear that Jacksonville is good although because it is so big , crime can be a factor.
The general feeling is that anything on the East of St John's river is diverse and 'safe.' Slight less crime compared to Westside.

my 2cents.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:04 PM

70 posts, read 307,683 times
The new communities west of the airport are diverse with manynew amenities in the area

Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,051 times
Somebody was robbed walking from their car to their condo in my gated southside community about a week ago.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,938,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airchauffeur View Post
You all don't even know crime. Come to the homicide capital of America, Atlanta. These thugs would make your Jacksonville popcorn bangers look like scouts. Drive through Decatur, Ga. and hang on.

Please, Altanta is not even in the top ten and certainly not murder capital.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com

Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 PM

236 posts, read 1,082,043 times
Let's talk about this Joel Abner kid for a minute. He was dancing around officer Reston while emptying a Glock 9mm into him. All for a pair of jeans. Sickening.

I'd like to see an open letter from JSO to the people of Duval County that went something like this:

To the citizens of Duval County,

You have chosen me to be the head of the law enforcement community in this county and as such, I am charged with ensuring the safety of each and every one of you. I feel it is my duty to inform you that, effective immediately, there are going to be some changes in policy as relates to violent crime, especially gun crimes.

1. Regardless of what the situation is, if a uniformed police officer tells you to stop, you must stop. All JSO officers have been instructed to shoot to incapacitate if you continue to run.

2. County jail will no longer be a pleasant place to be, unless you are a direct decendant of an alligator. We will have tents set up in an undisclosed remote area. There will be no air conditioning, cable TV or weight rooms. Three meals a day(MRE's are good enough for our soldiers, they are good enough for you.) and a dry bed to sleep in, that is your only guarantee. From daylight to dark, prisoners will be put to work in any capacity that the county needs them. Such work could be sweeping streets, painting buildings or polishing manhole covers. There will be armed officers acting as supervisors. Anyone steps out of line, see #1 above. Any medical treatment that you require while in JSO custody will be billed to you and you will remain in JSO custody as a "paid prisoner" until the bill is paid in full.

3. There will be no early release program. We'll have plenty of space and work. You do the crime, you do the time.

Please understand that this is not an infringement on anyone's rights. If you are acting like an animal, you'll be treated like one. This applies to every person in Duval County regardless of race, color or religion.

It is time to take the streets back from the lawless and give them back to the law-abiding citizens of Duval County.

I guarantee, if things got this strict, if the hobbles were taken off of law enforcement in this country, things would change.

As a side note, some people are saying that Mr Abner was a good kid and this was totally out of character for him. If that is true, I'd bet this was a gang initiation. Just my gut.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all members of law enforcement. They perform a thankless job at nearly volunteer wages when you consider the risks they take every day.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I'd like to see an open letter from JSO to the people of Duval County that went something like this:

To the citizens of Duval County,

You have chosen me to be the head of the law enforcement community in this county and as such, I am charged with ensuring the safety of each and every one of you. I feel it is my duty to inform you that, effective immediately, there are going to be some changes in policy as relates to violent crime, especially gun crimes.

1. Regardless of what the situation is, if a uniformed police officer tells you to stop, you must stop. All JSO officers have been instructed to shoot to incapacitate if you continue to run.

2. County jail will no longer be a pleasant place to be, unless you are a direct decendant of an alligator. We will have tents set up in an undisclosed remote area. There will be no air conditioning, cable TV or weight rooms. Three meals a day(MRE's are good enough for our soldiers, they are good enough for you.) and a dry bed to sleep in, that is your only guarantee. From daylight to dark, prisoners will be put to work in any capacity that the county needs them. Such work could be sweeping streets, painting buildings or polishing manhole covers. There will be armed officers acting as supervisors. Anyone steps out of line, see #1 above. Any medical treatment that you require while in JSO custody will be billed to you and you will remain in JSO custody as a "paid prisoner" until the bill is paid in full.

3. There will be no early release program. We'll have plenty of space and work. You do the crime, you do the time.

Please understand that this is not an infringement on anyone's rights. If you are acting like an animal, you'll be treated like one. This applies to every person in Duval County regardless of race, color or religion.

It is time to take the streets back from the lawless and give them back to the law-abiding citizens of Duval County.

I guarantee, if things got this strict, if the hobbles were taken off of law enforcement in this country, things would change.
Sounds like Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County Arizona. Maybe Duval county should hire him as a consultant.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:16 AM

96 posts, read 423,206 times
I agree with much of what you say, but "the legacy of slavery???"

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM

You're probably right about only having 'gang wannabees' but the ignorance of those people can be dangerous since they want to prove themselves worthy of the 'gang' title. The sad part is that I've watched these so called thugs when the iron bars close nehind them and they squeal louder than a 2 yr. old having root canal work done. Get any of these bangers alone and they become childlike.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Katrina peeps..

MZ, you are totally on target about some of the Katrina people causing crime. Please keep in mind that these people always have been of a violant nature and that's how they resolve things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville