Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM

45 posts, read 107,217 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Fernandina Beach is pretty tiny. A good place to visit, but I don't know if I'd want to live there. If you're intesrted in a variety of volunteering opprotunities, coffee shops, live music, available men, etc.

St. Simons Island, GA (just over the border) and St. Augustine Beach are larger, and thus have more of those things.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me! I currently live in Hilton Head, SC, and want to pursue my dream of moving to a true beach town in Florida. I am a very positive person who loves the beach, my dog, community involvement (volunteering, 12 step program, coffee shops, live music, etc) and being happy. Is this a good place for me to move - in terms of meeting people my age and living an active beach life? (I am also on the lookout for finding my hubby...) I have a master's degree in education and am open to doing any sort of work...Thanks!
Fernandina is a great little beach community. Median age is in the early 40's though we do have a lot of retired folks living here. I believe you will find everything you are looking for here and more. Although we do not have a dog there seems to be an abundance of people who do by those we see in town and on the local beaches.

As far as shopping, food, live entertainment and other amenities, they all on the island, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Kohls and a few other stores are just off the island.

If your into hiking, jogging and kayaking you will find all those here.

As far as openings in the local school system, I could not answer that one. Jacksonville is where a lot of the higher paying jobs are.

It is still a buyers market as far as purchasing a home both on and off the island. Rental market is a little tight right now though.

As far as dating, you will have to come down to see for yourself.

Do not let the size of the town fool you there are PLENTY of things to see and do here especially if you love the outdoors and are active. Good luck

Amelia Island Living eZine & Travel Guide, Fernandina Beach

Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,505,742 times
Fernandina is a great little seaside community, and if you include the off island area(A-1-A towards Yulee) it's a bit bigger than some people think.

Unless you want to pay GA. state taxes avoid St Simmons Island. Plus it seems prohibitively expensive there also as it is a major tourist destination.(higher rents and entertainment costs)
There's no state tax in Florida.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Plenty of coffee shops, live music, volunteering etc in Fernandina.
I live five minutes away from the beach, a beautiful state park and greenway, but still have decent shopping. My younger friends who like nightlife go to Sheffield's, Green Turtle, Dog Star Tavern, O Kane's, the Courtyard Pub--all downtown.
One thing I do like about it here is that unlike so many other Florida beach communities, Fernandina is still dog-friendly. Just please do not forget to "pick up" after your pooch.
However, employment opportunities are limited. For our first year here, my husband had to drive to Jax for his job, and hated the commute. Both of us are making less money than we did in Denver--that's the trade-off.
I never got to see little baby sea turtles hatching in Colorado, though.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM

45 posts, read 107,217 times
Thanks so much! Any specific places I should check out when I visit at the end of March? Do you have any ideas about who is hiring in Fernandina?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 AM

Check out the classifieds in the Fernandina Beach News Leader.
I know the YMCA was hiring just a couple weeks ago, you might want to look into that.

Looks like the schools are not looking to hire teachers right now, but you should go down and fill out an application. I've been here almost 5 years and spent the first 3 with the Y. (I teach preschool.)
Nassau County School District

Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM

542 posts, read 701,765 times
I have to say Fernandina sounds like what you want. It has everything you mention. I don't have a dog but this town is dog crazy. They seem to be allowed everywhere including bars, restaurants and public beach. Not something that I particularly like but as long as they are leashed, don't bite and owners want to follow them around with little plastic bags I guess it is OK. I can't speak to the employment issue. I don't see many want ads. Your age strikes me as a bit young for the island. There are certainly younger people here as this is a REAL town. Although I think when you walk around town you will get the impression there are a lot of older people here. Which is true retired people make up a lot of the population on the island. Best of luck

Old 01-08-2018, 07:27 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablovr View Post
Thanks so much! Any specific places I should check out when I visit at the end of March? Do you have any ideas about who is hiring in Fernandina?
Calendar of Events - Amelia Island, Florida, Fernandina Beach Slide Into Spring Music & Craft Beer Festival | Amelia Island Living & Travel e-Magazine
I currently live in NC, but drive back and forth to Jax and vicinity and MARCH is a great month to go to the art shows and other festivals in Amelia Island and around it The two links above should get you started but I do drive down for many of them and often stay at a B&B that I found on Craigslist years ago. It not a long commute to Jax so if you were to work in Jax you would still be good.
I will move down in another year when my son finishes college. NO MORE cold NC winters for meeee!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:34 PM

Well, this post is almost 6 years old and looks like the orginal poster has explored FL quite a bit since that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville