Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times

Advertisements

LOL it's been one delay after another but we finally seem to have all our ducks in a row. Hubby's leg is better, and we're headed down to check out St. Augustine next weekend. I'm sorry we won't see the trees all lit up for the holidays, but spring blooms should be pretty. Hopefully we'll miss the spring break crowd (or is that even a problem?). But, if we run into crowds that would be a good thing to experience too--I believe in seeing a city in best and worst lights before deciding to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL it's been one delay after another but we finally seem to have all our ducks in a row. Hubby's leg is better, and we're headed down to check out St. Augustine next weekend. I'm sorry we won't see the trees all lit up for the holidays, but spring blooms should be pretty. Hopefully we'll miss the spring break crowd (or is that even a problem?). But, if we run into crowds that would be a good thing to experience too--I believe in seeing a city in best and worst lights before deciding to move there.
The weather has been great and looks good for the next week as well...80s/Sunny. I was in St Augustine this past Wednesday and it was overrun due to Spring Break and Bike Week. Things should be a bit calmer for you I think as Spring Break is winding down and is over for most by the third week of March. Bear in mind the massive crowds in St Augustine are pretty much limited to the historic areas and once you get over to the beaches or outside of the core area traffic alleviates considerably. Much of the traffic/congestion is limited to daytime hours (even weekends) as the historic sites close at 6pm and many of the "daytrippers" have headed out.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,633,866 times
Welcome and enjoy

Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,364 times
Caladium: Send me a direct private message if you want to meet up one day while you are here. Are you still planning on driving down or will you fly? Have a great trip and enjoy! We've had a busy couple of weeks here but next week should see the crowds and definitely the motorcycles thinning our a bit. The beach renourishment project is ongoing until June. Today they were working just south of the State Park and north of the pier. Today was an absolutely gorgeous day at the beach though the water temps are still a bit too cilly for me. Lots of northerners were in the water though thinking it was great! The snowbirds are slowly making their way back north with most all being gone by Easter. What we really need is some rain, but I do hope you will have mostly sunny days while you are here.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 AM

We're flying. It's just going to be a short trip, unfortunately. Hubby has to fly to Orlando for his job, and we're tacking on a weekend visit to St. Augustine. Really more of a teaser than a good long chance to get to know the area, but at least it will give us an idea of the place. We're planning longer trips for next fall and next winter.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:36 AM

Weekend are more crowded in St. Augustine than weekdays. Just a reminder: Bridge of Lion Traffic can come to a standstill on the northbound side especially as it moves toward dinnertime when people are all heading in at the same time to enjoy dinner. Keep in mind that the bridge opens on the hour and half hour 6am - 7pm (time approx.) if boats have signaled that they need to pass. At night the bridge opens on demand from boats. This ties the bridge up for about 10 minutes to open.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Hi guys! Just a quick note before we head out to take a look at Marsh Creek. Trip is going well so far but zipping by too quickly. Learned the hard way that in the future we will fly to JAX. The drive from Orlando was intense, too much traffic and people driving while texting. But things seemed less stressful the closer we got to St. Augustine. Even though there was some sort of parade or festival that caused a traffic backup. It's cool, the way I see it, how cool to live in a place that has a lot of festivals, right? So far I like the vibe here.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Good Morning, Caladium. Did you drive through downtown St. Augustine on your way in this morning? I'm glad you're getting in some neighborhood scouting before it rains. Wave at my neighbors in Marsh Creek as you pass through. Sounds like you got a taste of Florida interstate highway driving this morning and have a good picture of that now. IMO, what you experienced is the norm...drivers speeding, not paying attention and driving too close together. Next time, fly into JAX airport. . I know you want to avoid the Dames Point Bridge but taking the "beltway" around the eastside of JAX then connecting with US 1 is my preferred way to travel to St. Augustine from the JAX airport. I'll be waiting to see the report you post of your first day here. I hope you enjoy!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,125 times
Avoid the Dames Point Bridge totally by just shooting going down I-95 from the JIA/airport straight to the SR16 exit in St Augustine.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Well, the trip was a great success, even though we ended up in Flagler ER for much of the day yesterday (hubby's leg is still a problem). It may have kept us from seeing some of the neighborhoods but it was good to check out the hospital and I must say I was pleased with the service and equipment we saw there. In general our impression of Anastasia Island was good. I definitely could see us living there, which is not something that always happens on these little retirement exploration trips that we make. The only downside so far was that we weren't thrilled by the choices in shopping. But.... we didn't go into a Public and I understand Publix is a fantastic store. We are definitely planning at least two more trips (both longer trips, too. Two days is just not enough time for something like this.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville