Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

50 posts, read 114,698 times

Advertisements

I heard how bad Jacksonville is from someone in Tampa. When I mentioned how every city has issues, I was informed that Tampa is nothing like Jacksonville...
I believe there are good and bad areas EVERYWHERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
I heard how bad Jacksonville is from someone in Tampa.
That's the first problem. Why do they know how Jacksonville is? Have they lived here?

You can find bad things about anywhere you look. There is no shortage of things we'd all love to see improved here in Jacksonville but, the majority of us (I believe), think this is a great place to live and raise a family. I'm doing that myself....

Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM

36 posts, read 121,081 times
Nocatee is amazing but it's so new that there may not be many rentals for awhile. I usually point people towards Julington Creek Plantation if they want to rent. It's a master-planned community as well with great ammenities, but it's older, and there are plenty of rentals. The schools there are excellent as well.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM

154 posts, read 645,685 times
Quote:
Reminds us a lot of FishHawk Ranch
If you lived in Tampa instead of 40 miles away maybe you could have experienced more murders there.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
When I mentioned how every city has issues, I was informed that Tampa is nothing like Jacksonville...
I believe there are good and bad areas EVERYWHERE!
Thats so true Tampa is full of Cuban gangs Jacksonville isn't. You can get killed over a Mojito or a Cuba Libre down there, not here!

And seriously, there's bad areas and good in every city. Here its basically the inner north west side of Jacksonville.
There the problem is there are 3 or 4 cities crowded up against each other so hence more bad areas. Here it's just one big city.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
been here 2 and half years and so far, so good. Our life is a tad slower than in Charlotte, but that has been good also. Plus, I'm no longer paying all those taxes!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,539 times
Please do yourself a favor and look at Fleming Island in Clay County, just south of Jacksonville. I have lived here for over 30 years and it is absolutely great place for family with children. Great Schools, Great neighborhoods and the best realtor I know, myself. I have a son who lives currently in Apollo Beach just south of Tamnpa in Mira Bay and who worked for Newland Communities who developed both Mira Bay and Fishhawk. Contact me and I will help you. You will love it here.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM

37 posts, read 76,749 times
I recently moved to South FL from Jacksonville. Lived there for 9 years but moved for better opportunities. I've been to Tampa and personally, I'll choose Jacksonville over Tampa any day. I agree with everybody's consensus that each and every place has its bad pockets. Just try to stay away from the Northside and Westside as most crimes and shootings tend to happen in that area.It is also important to note that at some point, Jacksonville was number one on the list for heinous crimes in the state, ahead of Miami. This was maybe about 4 years ago.

The Southside would be your best bet for safer neighborhoods. If you are looking for apartments, there are a number of high-end ones near Southside Blvd and surrounding St. John's Town Center. If you go further north of Southside Blvd, you'll notice that neighborhoods start to look dilapidated. Nocatee is not a bad idea either but there aren't any rental communities there at this time (and Nocatee is not a part of Jacksonville. It's basically a suburb). If you are thinking about buying a home, Nocatee should be at the top of your list. Try to concentrate your search in the Southside and see if you like it. Add Mandarin, Julington Creek and the Hodges Blvd area to the list. You won't regret it.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM

20 posts, read 130,360 times
Quote:
Let's just say I heard it was full of murders... and is an awful city. Every city has its problems but I was scared to the point where I am not sure I want to take the job opportunity for fear that we would be murdered! We were looking at St Johns. I'd really say our budget is $2,000 a month for housing but we'd like to stay lower.
Thanks!
Ha.. well I've lived here 40 years and I haven't been murdered yet.. I think your take is grossly inflated.. now if you live smack downtown you may have a point, however there are some lovely neighborhoods in the outlying areas
South in St Johns Co and north of the airport in Jax there is still some land to be had and some quiet nice neighborhoods.. With the housing market on the downswing I think you'd be better off buying if you can

Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM

20 posts, read 130,360 times
Quote:
We are looking at Nocatee in Ponte Vedra. Reminds us a lot of FishHawk Ranch, where we lived outside Tampa. The problem is that I don't see many rentals. We are looking to rent... from what I see, Ponte Vedra is a nice area. As far as teaching goes, I will sub if I have to so I can get my foot in the door. Where I live now, it is a horrible district and I still can't get a job! :-(
If you are looking at Nocatee, start saving money quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville