Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
Do I smell liberal???
No! What you smell, but don't recognize is the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Around 2004 my job position changed and I was now working each year with a different group of young adults ages 18 - 30. The last four years I have noticed a big increase of tattoo's among that age group, either a lot of little ones or several large ones on them. I do not usually associate with that many in that age group outside of work so it is kind of eye opening seeing all the art on them and the increasing numbers of them getting numerous tattoo's not just one or two. It is a different generation, we had our own things growing up, mostly clothes and hair styles of which both were not permanent.

I think it is getting more prevalent everywhere, even those in their 40's and 50's are getting them. Warm weather and shorts and t-shirt climate makes them more visible.

It is most likely to stay for a while, we have three tattoo parlors here on the island now. The next question is do you think this will peak or society will fully embrace them?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
Everywhere I go here I noticed a lot of people mostly whites having tattoos on visible areas like the neck and forearms. What company in their right mind allow in their dress code. I think all companies from Burger King to Wall St needs to increase dress codes. These people are ridiculous with the body art nowadays.

This isn't the good ol' days. Tattoos are becoming more and more socially accepted. I have ink, granted not any visible, and I plan on getting more. I work damn hard at my job and have moved up quickly. My ink hasn't stopped me from performing my job whatsoever.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The tattoo trend is a natural reflection of where society has been progressing. The bottom of the totem pole. I would never get one. The fact that tattoos used to be an indication of the lower class should strike a cord in anyone enough to question why they would want one. Tattoos in the modern day world represent to me a cry for attention. Why else would you do something like that to your body? Obviously not for yourself. Yeah I know alot of tatted-up people say they got theirs for sentimental reasons. Their child, passed relatives, etc. But that doesn't make any sense to me. You've got memories and photos. Why would you want them on your skin? If anything, that should be an indication that most of the population has stopped using their brains. Which is the precise reason for this trend the sheeple have yet again climbed onto. I remember when tattoos were the rebellious thing to do. It was suppose to show your non-conformity to society. Now everybody has one and still is getting one thinking they are so badass and different from the rest. What a joke. It's more non-conformist and individualistic these days to not have any tattoos then have them. This is has to be the dumbest generation on Earth. Generations before us may have made some mistakes as youth, but none was as stupid as to follow a trend to permanently mark their bodies all over with ink.

Believe it or not some people think differently than you. Just because you can't comprehend why someone would get a tattoo doesn't mean that there are no valid reasons to get a tattoo.

"The fact that tattoos used to be an indication of the lower class should strike a cord in anyone enough to question why they would want one"
Yeah well being black or a female used to mean being the "bottom of the totem pole" but guess what? Society's changed.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The tattoo trend is a natural reflection of where society has been progressing. The bottom of the totem pole. I would never get one. The fact that tattoos used to be an indication of the lower class should strike a cord in anyone enough to question why they would want one. Tattoos in the modern day world represent to me a cry for attention. Why else would you do something like that to your body? Obviously not for yourself. Yeah I know alot of tatted-up people say they got theirs for sentimental reasons. Their child, passed relatives, etc. But that doesn't make any sense to me. You've got memories and photos. Why would you want them on your skin? If anything, that should be an indication that most of the population has stopped using their brains. Which is the precise reason for this trend the sheeple have yet again climbed onto. I remember when tattoos were the rebellious thing to do. It was suppose to show your non-conformity to society. Now everybody has one and still is getting one thinking they are so badass and different from the rest. What a joke. It's more non-conformist and individualistic these days to not have any tattoos then have them. This is has to be the dumbest generation on Earth. Generations before us may have made some mistakes as youth, but none was as stupid as to follow a trend to permanently mark their bodies all over with ink.
So I guess we all should look to YOU for what we should (and shouldn't) be doing? I mean, seems like you're the only smart person around...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

Yeah well being black or a female used to mean being the "bottom of the totem pole" but guess what? Society's changed.
Bravo!!!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM

278 posts, read 664,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
picture and quote from Stripes
Anyone referencing Sgt Hulka automatically wins the argument, case decided in favor of this guy

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Jacksonville has a higher percentage of white trash than the rest of the state, that's why you see so many idiots with tattoos. Pretty much a sign of having low self esteem and zero life skills.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Jacksonville has a higher percentage of white trash than the rest of the state, that's why you see so many idiots with tattoos. Pretty much a sign of having low self esteem and zero life skills.
Care to cite your source material, or is this just another crazynip wildassclaim?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
So I guess we all should look to YOU for what we should (and shouldn't) be doing? I mean, seems like you're the only smart person around...
There is no good reason for having a pot leaf tattoo on your neck unless you don't ever have to apply for a job or you work as a tattoo artist. I think a lot of people over-do it with tattoos. Some are really cool but its not like dying your hair a different color. If you decide you dont want the tattoo anymore it cost some money to change it. ( ie i have a friend who was a Skinhead in his younger days. He no longer has the racist outlook on things-- he married a Mexican-American. But he had SKINS tattooed on his knuckles. It costs him a lot more to remove them. Life outlook changes happen. He is a dad and doesnt want to have the kids see his racist past every day and he is also a professional. not so easy to get a job w past racism obviously visible)

Tattoos are no longer out of the norm. They are pretty trendy but make good choices w tattoos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville