Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 AM

294 posts, read 340,589 times

Advertisements

Actually, this is common, speaking from extensive travel in the Midwest and Northeast. As madcap said it is not controlled by the local area, just as the 'miles to' marker signs on the sides of the highway are not.

These signs usually list the next 2-3 cities, in order of distance, from that location.

Then again, maybe they do this differently down south!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
I was driving along I-95 Southbound just past the I-295/I-95 Intersection, one exit south of the airport and I noticed that the main center signs indicated both Jacksonville and Daytona Beach on the green signs. This is a big no no for a large city. The fact that they are advertising another city or town in the entry points of the city before the downtown ( the supposed to be hub of most cities), just screams low self esteem!! In a way those signs are saying" We are just a pass-through city, the destination city is Daytona Beach." You should never advertise another destination until AFTER the Downtown areas of cities.

The same thing with the southern I-9/295 Intersection driving northbound from Old St Augustine exit area. They have Savannah along with Jacksonville. THAT IS WRONG! Once pass downtown, THEN advertise Savannah.

The proper thing to do will be to advertise the other cities on bypasses like (I-295)

This city have some self esteem issues clearly by the signage. Example, you don't see Charlotte, NC advertising other cities until after Uptown.

Does anybody in here understand what I'm saying???
Somebody has too much time on their hands?

For all the problems Jacksonville has, I am sure this is .0000001% of it

Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 AM

157 posts, read 529,907 times
With all due respect most of you fail to understand what I am referring to. The fact that there are signs indicating other cities before passing through the central part of the city screams LOW CONFIDENCE, LACK OF PRIDE and DIGNITY. Go to places like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh (progressive mid-sized to large cities) and you all will know what I am speaking of. Those cities let it be known that their city is the place to be! Thats part of city planning to distribute those signs.

BTW I just came from Charlotte yesterday and that city, my home is a perfect example of what JAX should be. This city has potential but too many conservative backward thinkers.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
lived in Charlotte too and commuted on I-77, plenty of signs told me that if I stay on I-77 as I approached Westinghouse that it would take me to Statesville.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM

157 posts, read 529,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
lived in Charlotte too and commuted on I-77, plenty of signs told me that if I stay on I-77 as I approached Westinghouse that it would take me to Statesville.
Yeah but that was comming from Westinghouse Rd. I know where youre taking of, but from driving northbound on I-77 just past I-485 junction, the sign would indicate Charlotte until about Brookshire exit, then it would say Statesville. Thank you for your input. BTW. Dude I am so ready to move back up there. Were moving back in a few months. Down here is 10-15 years behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville