Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM

131 posts, read 344,693 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Phoenix,AZ and I have the opportunity to move to Jacksonville since my company has a hospital there as well. I was wondering if anyone out in Jacksonville has lived in AZ and could give opinions of their experience. I would be bringing with me a wife and 2 kids 13 and 14. My wife would be continuing her education to become a nurse so we would also need to have good schools that both my kids and wife can take advantage of.

I did live in Tampa as a kid but other than the weather I don't remember much about FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I've never lived in Phoenix - but have visited a fair amount (my brother lives in Scottsdale). I would say the most obvious differences are that the greater Phoenix metro area is a lot bigger in terms of population than the metro JAX area - and there is a lot more there in the way of shopping/restaurants/etc. And that the climates are fairly different - especially in the summer - when Phoenix is very very hot and dry - and we are merely hot and humid .

If you don't mind my asking - in what part of the JAX metro area would your new hospital be located? There are some parts of town here that are nicer than others to work in (although different people on this forum have different opinions about the areas they like best). And a long commuting time from a "nice" part of town to a not so nice part of town might be a factor in your decision.

Also - I am in the camp of people who think that the schools in Duval County aren't so great (I live in St. Johns County - which most people think has much better schools). You will probably hear from people who disagree with me.

The University of North Florida has an excellent school of nursing (although I've heard that it's hard to get into):

UNF - Brooks - School of Nursing - homepage

Robyn

P.S. Our winter weather is cooler/colder than what you'll find in the Tampa area.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:19 PM

131 posts, read 344,693 times
Thanks for the reply! I work for the Mayo Clinic and would really like to live around that area as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Close to Mayo with good/better St Johns County schools ... Ponte Vedra comes to mind.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartin26 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I work for the Mayo Clinic and would really like to live around that area as well.
I live - as noted in my info - in Ponte Vedra Beach (in St. Johns County). From our house - it is 15 minutes max to Mayo (where my husband and I get all of our secondary medical care - luckily we have had no need for tertiary care to date ). I don't know what your budget is - but I agree with mapcap that it would be the first place I'd look at if I were you.

I don't know if you're a doctor - or some other type of health care provider - but a lot of Mayo docs live in our HOA.

OTOH - keep in kind the caveats about the differences between Phoenix and JAX. JAX is pretty small town compared to Phoenix. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville