U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM

128 posts, read 177,452 times
Default Electric Bills in St Johns County... How Much?

Hello Friends:

If you own or rent a home in SJC, (<= 2500 sq. ft. or so) please answer me this.

How much is your average electric bill from Oct. - May

How much in the summer, maybe June - Sept when your AC is blasting?

Highest Bill? Lowest Bill?

Do you have FPL or JEA or BES ???

Thanks for all your help.

T.

p.s. I am not exactly sure when it is the hottest in SJC so I took a guess in terms of the hottest months, but you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 PM

996 posts, read 1,126,965 times
FPL--- 2100 sq ft heat / cooled single story block home built in 1998 in St. Augustine Beach---all electric except gas hot water. 2 retired occupants. 2 yr old heat pump system. Nov - Mar avg. $65 / mo.; Apr - May $90/mo : June - Aug. $150/mo.; Sept -Oct $125/ mo. Lowest bill $60; Highest bill $177 (summer month with 5 houseguests)

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM

Thank you so much. I can't wait to hear from more. I hope that is the norm.

Thanks again,
T

Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM

996 posts, read 1,126,965 times
The newer heat pump systems are very energy efficient. Our bills went down an average of 25% after installing our new system. Block construction homes seem to be more energy efficient overall. Cooling bills also can be significantly impacted by increasing attic space ventilation, adding insulation features, choosing energy saving roofing materials, strategic tree planting, sun blocking window treatments, use of ceiling fans and directional placement of home on the building lot.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 AM

38 posts, read 46,654 times
It is also dependent upon the temperature you set your thermostat. Keeping my house at 72-74 during the summer compared to a neighbor who keeps their house at 78, there is going to be a significant difference in our electric bills.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM

I'd really like to get the numbers from you if you live in SJC? I'd like to compare the costs of say a house in JCP vs. WGV. Please keep em coming. Thanks,

T

Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,636,792 times
not looking forward to writing that check for a new heat pump and air handler (since mine uses the old freon)

Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM

615 posts, read 835,757 times
We live in SJC and have JEA. Our JEA bill includes power, water, and sewer (including reclaimed irrigation) and usually runs anywhere from $300-$400 all inclusive.

The electic portion alone runs about $200 most of the year and $250 in summer. I just got a bill yesterday and for some reason the electric portion was only $150, but we've been trying to make some minor changes to give the A/C a break like keeping inside doors closed and setting the thermostat on a schedule. Generally it's about 75 when we're home, 72 at night, and we crank it up when we're gone.

We have about 3000 sq ft, including an upstairs bonus room with it's own unit that never runs unless someone is up there.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM

10,833 posts, read 7,706,164 times
We have Beaches Energy Services. The rates are a total of about 12.3 cents per kwh (about 7.5 cents for the base rate and 4.8 cents as a power cost surcharge). There is also a $4.50/month base charge - and a 2.5% state gross receipts tax.

We have about 2800-2900 sq under HVAC - single story house. It is well insulated - and we have a newer HVAC system (replaced old one 100% with a new puron system about 5 years ago when we needed a new compressor). Power bills are almost always $350-400/ month in the summer - and $250-350 in the spring/fall. The winter can be extremely variable. Bill was $285 this January and $495 last January. This winter was a lot warmer than usual - and last winter was a lot colder than usual. You can spend a lot more than you think to heat your house if it's very cold (it takes more energy to heat a house to 70 when it's 40 outside than to cool it to 75 if it's 85 outside).

We keep our heat at 71-72 in the winter - A/C at 76 in the summer - no difference between day/night. We are retired and spend a lot of time in the house - so we don't program our thermostat - for example - to be at different temps when we're at work. Our water heater has a recirculating pump (so we get "instant-on" hot water all the time). I suspect that adds maybe $20-30/month to our electric bill. We also have a ton of electronics and cook a lot (house is all electric). We don't have indoor fans (I don't like them).

IOW - your power bill will depend on a lot of things. How big your house is. Where you set your thermostat. Your other power uses. Etc. Robyn

Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 PM

10,833 posts, read 7,706,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
not looking forward to writing that check for a new heat pump and air handler (since mine uses the old freon)
We paid about $10-11k (before rebate) IIRC to replace the whole thing with a new Puron system when we needed a new compressor. We also have 4 zones in the house - and some of the hardware associated with the zones had to be repaired/replaced (think that added about $500 to the cost of the job). OTOH - I think we also got a manufacturer's rebate of about $1k. Doesn't really make sense not to do the whole thing next time you need to replace the compressor. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville