U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,525,759 times
Default Terry Parker, Wolfson And Ed White Authorized as International Baccalaureate World Schools

Terry Parker, Wolfson And Ed White Authorized as International Baccalaureate World Schools | News | Arlington News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 AM

27 posts, read 61,285 times
Default Surprised To See These Schools Chosen

Although I've been a regular reader, I haven't posted in a while. We plan to relocate (or move back) to Jax within 18-24 months and have been researching schools. Looked at St Johns but didn't know if it was feasible with HOA, CDD and commute cost. We are solid middle class looking to pay about $1,100 a month total for a house about 1,500 square feet in a SAFE area with a few families scattered about

Then I looked to San Marco and Mandarin. San Marco because it always had a certain flavor although I honestly only went there to a movie or to eat a few times but thought I might like to look around as an additional choice. The schools were rated very high (Hendricks, Landon, Douglas Anderson) and then I figured out Landon was by lottery. Douglas Anderson is a little far in the future for us and is by audition. The middle and high schools by location are Dupont and Wolfson. Great Schools rates Wolfson a five out of ten and Dupont a four, also out of ten. This changes things quite a bit.

Mandarin's schools are rated eight out of ten but also have an additional 1,000 students in the high school. The size does concern me a bit to be honest and I haven't been able to find a ton of reviews about the schools and areas. Still looking though and we do plan on a trip to stay later this year. It will help give us new perspective as things change a lot in ten years of being away.

The point of my post is that I guess I am a little surprised and a bit confused that Wolfson, Parker and White (all rated five or less) were chosen to become IB schools. - Maybe computer ratings are overrated, but the test scores were low as well. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,525,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Ball View Post
The point of my post is that I guess I am a little surprised and a bit confused that Wolfson, Parker and White (all rated five or less) were chosen to become IB schools. - Maybe computer ratings are overrated, but the test scores were low as well. Just my thoughts.
My feeling on this is that the Duval County School Board realizing that Wolfson, Parker and White were in such a mess. That the only way to correct the problem was to apply for the IB rating and see if that helps by bringing better students into those schools. Over all Terry Parked was ranked a B school in the state of Florida. While Wolfson was ranked a C school, and Ed White was ranked a D school.

I believe the ratings you refered to (4 out of 10 stars <?>) are what the parents of students at each school rated it, not the state ranking. Duval County in general is (ranked #57 out of 67) and rated as a B school system overall whereas St Johns county is (ranked #1 out of 67) and rated an A school system overall.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 AM

27 posts, read 61,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
My feeling on this is that the Duval County School Board realizing that Wolfson, Parker and White were in such a mess. That the only way to correct the problem was to apply for the IB rating and see if that helps by bringing better students into those schools. Over all Terry Parked was ranked a B school in the state of Florida. While Wolfson was ranked a C school, and Ed White was ranked a D school.

I believe the ratings you refered to (4 out of 10 stars <?>) are what the parents of students at each school rated it, not the state ranking. Duval County in general is (ranked #57 out of 67) and rated as a B school system overall whereas St Johns county is (ranked #1 out of 67) and rated an A school system overall.
I suppose it's a step in the right direction toward working to improve these schools. I like that line of thinking.

The Great Schools website rates schools based on a number of factors and the ratings are 1 through 10 with the above schools rated 4 and 5. If you dig a little further in it also has the A, B and C ranks you mentioned and then parent and student reviews. School Digger (another site) ranks from 1 to 5 stars and Wolfson and Parker each have 2 stars while White is ranked 1 star out of 5.

If they are trying to correct the problem as you mentioned, how does this draw a better student body? Do you have to live in the area or does it become a magnet school and again part of a lottery system? Does it mean the students who have made up this current low rating continue there and they bus in some better students from outside which will raise the scores? Forgive my ignorance, I just don't understand how adding a gifted program in a low testing student body will help. I'm sure I am missing some information that you guys know. Coming back to the area, I'm not sure I would want to live in a neighborhood with poor schools and bank on a lottery to get into a better one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville