Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times

Advertisements

Like the others who have commented, IMO, living in Oakleaf Plantation and communting to anywhere on Beach Blvd. is a terrible option. It is beautiful out there and there are some great bargains in housing, but Blanding Blvd and I-295 in the Blanding Blvd / Buckman Bridge areas have been a huge gridlock for a longtime. Isn't that the route a commuter would take to Beach Blvd? I passed through that area several times recently and was very frustrated to encounter a large area of major gridlock at the large road construction project even at offpeak hours. Does the DOT believe that adding more lanes on the exit ramp will get the traffic off of I 295? Where's all the increased volume going to go once on Blanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
As reported in another thread 5 of the 10 most dangerous/worse intersections in Jacksonville are on Beach Blvd.

#2) Beach Boulevard / Hodges Boulevard
#3) Beach Boulevard / Southside Boulevard
#7) Beach Boulevard / University Boulevard
#8) Beach Boulevard / SR-9A
#9) Beach Boulevard / San Pablo Road
Come on. It's not like you to post things in this way trying to scare someone. I drive through the Beach/Hodges intersection at least 5x a day and still don't see accidents all that often. Statistically, it has a higher rate of accidents but it's not like it's a death trap or anything.

As far as the OP, I am also wondering why you are looking at Flemming Island and Orange Park. There are plenty of places over this way (I also live off Hodges) and other places much closer to where he'll be working, which won't require 2 or 3 tanks of gas a week to make it to work.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Come on. It's not like you to post things in this way trying to scare someone. I drive through the Beach/Hodges intersection at least 5x a day and still don't see accidents all that often. Statistically, it has a higher rate of accidents but it's not like it's a death trap or anything.

As far as the OP, I am also wondering why you are looking at Flemming Island and Orange Park. There are plenty of places over this way (I also live off Hodges) and other places much closer to where he'll be working, which won't require 2 or 3 tanks of gas a week to make it to work.
Wasn't posted to scare anyone, just as a well known fact and warning, that Beach Blvd is fairly dangerous to drive on. I personally only go that way about 5x a month now and very rarely see any accidents either...doesn't mean they don't happen though does it?

PS; If I had wanted to scare some one I would have said Drive on Beach Blvd and you will "DIE" I didn't because it's not true.

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 04-30-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM

278 posts, read 664,715 times
Quote:
Wasn't posted to scare anyone, just as a well known fact and warning, that Beach Blvd is fairly dangerous to drive on. I personally only go that way about 5x a month now and very rarely see any accidents either...doesn't mean they don't happen though does it?
I drive down Beach probably five days a week, from the University intersection down to 9A, and occasionally see a fender-bender. Serious accidents are less common and accidents involving an ambulance I don't see that often at all. I'm generally there a little after rush hour.

I think accidents are as much (if not more) a function of a driver's awareness as the design of the intersection itself. I've been driving in Jax for over 15 years and have had no serious accidents, and the two accidents I have had involved me backing into someone's car in a parking lot when I was a teenager. My wife had one accident - someone rear-ended her on JTB. She's been driving here for maybe 10 years. She drives down Beach more than I do, 10 to 12 times a week.

I wouldn't let accident statistics of an intersection dissuade you from living someplace. Just be aware. Beach Blvd traffic is almost always bad but if you keep your wits about you, it's not deadly dangerous.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
Rent first.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,606 times
Quote:

PS; If I had wanted to scare some one I would have said Drive on Beach Blvd and you will "DIE" I didn't because it's not true.
But, when read in the context of this thread, it certainly sounds like you're trying to scare someone. Even here you say, "Beach Blvd is fairly dangerous to drive on." Really? I drive on Beach EVERY day (unless I'm out of town). i've rarely seen accidents and I've NEVER seen an accident where someone was seriously injured or killed.

I live right around the corner from the Beach/Hodges intersection and, again, I rarely see accidents. I did see where one bicyclist was struck a few months back but, I wouldn't be looking to cross Beach at that point (on foot or on a bike). Too many lanes of traffic and too many things going on.

While you didn't say someone would die driving on Beach, you are still exaggerating the situation a bit. Driving on Beach Blvd is NOT, "fairly dangerous," any more than driving on any major road i fairly dangerous.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
But, when read in the context of this thread, it certainly sounds like you're trying to scare someone. Even here you say, "Beach Blvd is fairly dangerous to drive on." Really? I drive on Beach EVERY day (unless I'm out of town). i've rarely seen accidents and I've NEVER seen an accident where someone was seriously injured or killed.

I live right around the corner from the Beach/Hodges intersection and, again, I rarely see accidents. I did see where one bicyclist was struck a few months back but, I wouldn't be looking to cross Beach at that point (on foot or on a bike). Too many lanes of traffic and too many things going on.

While you didn't say someone would die driving on Beach, you are still exaggerating the situation a bit. Driving on Beach Blvd is NOT, "fairly dangerous," any more than driving on any major road i fairly dangerous.
Your opinion! And your entitled to it even if it's wrong. I'm just repeating what the JSO/FHP says, is that Beach and Hodges is the second most dangerous intersection in Jacksonville with 111 accidents there last year thats about 1 every 3.25 days which you should know as you posted the original link! Were you trying to scare people, I don't believe so ... 5 Most Dangerous Intersections in Jacksonville ... originally posted by GadgetRick! If someone is going to live near, there it's very good information that they should know.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 AM

79 posts, read 113,386 times
Quote:
Your opinion! And your entitled to it even if it's wrong. I'm just repeating what the JSO/FHP says, is that Beach and Hodges is the second most dangerous intersection in Jacksonville with 111 accidents there last year thats about 1 every 3.25 days which you should know as you posted the original link! Were you trying to scare people, I don't believe so ... 5 Most Dangerous Intersections in Jacksonville ... originally posted by GadgetRick! If someone is going to live near, there it's very good information that they should know.

Hey! Can you tell me what do you know about Pecan Park, Bartram Springs...Mandarin area? We listened to you guys and are now looking in those areas that are about 20-25 minutes to husband's job! Thanks

Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 AM

Pecan Park used to be a semi rural area on the far north side of Jacksonville with some nice home communities nearby off of Main Street. My only concern about the Pecan Park area is most of it is under the landing/departure flight paths (depending on the wind) for Jax International Airport so noise may be an issue. Where about is your husbands job located? From Pecan Park rd to downtown can take 20-30 minutes at rush hour. (without wrecks)

Mandarin is Mandarin a crowded suburban giant area. With lots of subdivisions and traffic. From the middle of Mandarin to downtown can take up to 45 minutes during rush hour. (without wrecks) Mandarin is also on the landing/departure flight paths (depending on the wind) for NAS Jax while not as intense as JIA it is noisy at times. Mostly P-3 Orion's, large Propeller driven aircraft and not jets...yet, until the Boeing P-8 Poseidon enters service in 2013 (based on the Boeing 737)

Bartram Springs I'm not real familiar with so I will pass on giving what would be hearsay info on it.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM

134 posts, read 329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mina21 View Post
Thanks, Everyone. We didnt start looking in Oakleaf , Fleming ..etc .. for any particular reason, we wanted to look everywhere and those houses and areas were the most that we were drawn to. He will be out of the home at 5am...more than likely so we think ( by what his co workers have said) he would avoid the " rush hour". When he gets out of work, that could be another story..but he doesnt mind the commute so much for the right house and area...and seems like we found it. Thanks, Again! Im checking everything you guys gave me to look at
Been living in OP, Jax, St Johns for almost 20 years now (most in OP). If I can give you one piece of advice that will make sure you don't regret your move and you or your husband ending up miserable, do not move to Oakleaf if you or your husband will be commuting over to Beach Blvd area. It will be a daily exercise in frustration doing that commute, and as one person said previously, will be about an hour easy, longer when there are accidents along the way, and there are plenty of accidents almost daily along that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville