U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM
 
40 posts, read 31,598 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
Been living in OP, Jax, St Johns for almost 20 years now (most in OP). If I can give you one piece of advice that will make sure you don't regret your move and you or your husband ending up miserable, do not move to Oakleaf if you or your husband will be commuting over to Beach Blvd area. It will be a daily exercise in frustration doing that commute, and as one person said previously, will be about an hour easy, longer when there are accidents along the way, and there are plenty of accidents almost daily along that route.
Thanks, we decided not to. Everyone told us exactly what you said.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
 
40 posts, read 31,598 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Pecan Park used to be a semi rural area on the far north side of Jacksonville with some nice home communities nearby off of Main Street. My only concern about the Pecan Park area is most of it is under the landing/departure flight paths (depending on the wind) for Jax International Airport so noise may be an issue. Where about is your husbands job located? From Pecan Park rd to downtown can take 20-30 minutes at rush hour. (without wrecks)

Mandarin is Mandarin a crowded suburban giant area. With lots of subdivisions and traffic. From the middle of Mandarin to downtown can take up to 45 minutes during rush hour. (without wrecks) Mandarin is also on the landing/departure flight paths (depending on the wind) for NAS Jax while not as intense as JIA it is noisy at times. Mostly P-3 Orion's, large Propeller driven aircraft and not jets...yet, until the Boeing P-8 Poseidon enters service in 2013 (based on the Boeing 737)

Bartram Springs I'm not real familiar with so I will pass on giving what would be hearsay info on it.
Thank you! At this point we really hope to find something in Mandarin, we have seen a few houses and are going to see them this weekend,plus have people thaat live there and really like it. I know people keep suggesting other areas, but..there are no houses i see available in those, and it seems we'll have some traffic issues anywhere in JAX .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
 
39 posts, read 26,006 times
Reputation: 22
If your husband is working on Beach Blvd, DO NOT move to Orange Park, Fleming Island or anyplace on the West side of the St. Johns River. The commute from Clay Co. into Jax is horrendous. Take it from one who knows.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Near the beaches
1,028 posts, read 815,625 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Your opinion! And your entitled to it even if it's wrong. I'm just repeating what the JSO/FHP says, is that Beach and Hodges is the second most dangerous intersection in Jacksonville with 111 accidents there last year thats about 1 every 3.25 days which you should know as you posted the original link! Were you trying to scare people, I don't believe so ... 5 Most Dangerous Intersections in Jacksonville ... originally posted by GadgetRick! If someone is going to live near, there it's very good information that they should know.
Hmm, not sure how an opinion can be wrong...

When I posted the info, the context is, "Hey, here's some interesting information, let's discuss this..." When you posted what you did it certainly comes off like so many people around here who post the, "Jacksonville is DANGEROUS," stuff. Whether you meant it to come off that way or not, that's how it read.

I never said Beach is dangerous. Are there more accidents than, "normal," for this area? Statistically-speaking, absolutely. But that doesn't mean it's dangerous by definition.

One can say 95 is dangerous because of the number of accidents which occur on that highway. However, the vast majority of people driving up and down 95 (many daily) are never involved in an accident there (luckily). Just like the vast majority of people living here in Jacksonville aren't being raped, murdered, robbed, etc. even though some would have you believe this happens to everyone every day.

It's certainly not like you to write things like that so I know that wasn't your intention. You're one of the more level-headed folks around these parts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: On the banks of the St Johns River
4,254 posts, read 4,167,397 times
Reputation: 3321
Beach Blvd is dangerous as is Atlantic Blvd, Southside Blvd, Blanding Blvd and Roosevelt Blvd.
And an opinion is wrong when it flies in the face of facts ... per your implying my attempt to scare/shock people is wrong.
As Joe Friday so eloquently stated ... "just the facts sir, just the facts!"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Near the beaches
1,028 posts, read 815,625 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Beach Blvd is dangerous as is Atlantic Blvd, Southside Blvd, Blanding Blvd and Roosevelt Blvd.
And an opinion is wrong when it flies in the face of facts ... per your implying my attempt to scare/shock people is wrong.
As Joe Friday so eloquently stated ... "just the facts sir, just the facts!"
Again, I didn't say you were trying to scare people. However, it is easy to take it that way. I know you weren't trying to scare anyone because that's not like you.

No matter how you try to explain yourself, people can (and did apparently) take what you wrote the wrong way. Dangerous is a powerful word. Personally, I wouldn't classify Beach as, "dangerous," since that would imply a high potential for serious injury or death. And that's just not true. The stats (facts if you will) talk about the accidents being mostly fender benders. Not fun if you're involved but hardly, "dangerous." They never said people are dying left and right while driving on Beach. Now THAT would be dangerous.

Basically, I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid Beach. There's just no reason to...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
 
Location: On the banks of the St Johns River
4,254 posts, read 4,167,397 times
Reputation: 3321
Well with 5 of the 10 worse/most dangerous intersections on Beach Blvd.

#2) Beach Boulevard / Hodges Boulevard
#3) Beach Boulevard / Southside Boulevard
#7) Beach Boulevard / University Boulevard
#8) Beach Boulevard / SR-9A
#9) Beach Boulevard / San Pablo Road

I would think that makes Beach Blvd a dangerous place compared to say Southside Blvd.
Which only had 1 of the top 10 dangerous intersections named to the list. Maybe even 5X as dangerous.

#1) Southside Blvd / Baymeadows Rd

In the over 40 years I have been driving, I have probably driven back and forth on Beach Blvd at least 500 times. Have I ever had an accident there?
No! Have I ever seen accidents there? Yes! Serious accidents? Yes! Involving loss of life? Unfortunately yes a couple of times!

I guess we can agree to disagree on this, as this is my last post on this subject.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Near the beaches
1,028 posts, read 815,625 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Well with 5 of the 10 worse/most dangerous intersections on Beach Blvd.

#2) Beach Boulevard / Hodges Boulevard
#3) Beach Boulevard / Southside Boulevard
#7) Beach Boulevard / University Boulevard
#8) Beach Boulevard / SR-9A
#9) Beach Boulevard / San Pablo Road

I would think that makes Beach Blvd a dangerous place compared to say Southside Blvd.
Which only had 1 of the top 10 dangerous intersections named to the list. Maybe even 5X as dangerous.

#1) Southside Blvd / Baymeadows Rd

In the over 40 years I have been driving, I have probably driven back and forth on Beach Blvd at least 500 times. Have I ever had an accident there?
No! Have I ever seen accidents there? Yes! Serious accidents? Yes! Involving loss of life? Unfortunately yes a couple of times!

I guess we can agree to disagree on this, as this is my last post on this subject.
Call it what you want but I'd hardly call it DANGEROUS. More of a potential (statistic-wise) of having an accident? Obviously. But dangerous? Come on.

I've lived off Hodges (near Beach) for the year and a half I've lived here. I've driven up and down Beach (both directions) multiple times almost daily since I've lived here. I can tell you it's far from DANGEROUS.

I also drive through the Beach/Hodges intersection (literally) about 3 times a day (on average) almost EVERY day. I've only ever seen ONE accident (involved someone on a bike and probably wasn't a good outcome). If you'd classify that as dangerous, then I'd hate to see what you'd classify an intersection/road which had a LOT of serious or fatal (even) accidents.

I've never argued that you're not more likely to have an accident (statistically) there but, when someone calls it DANGEROUS, well, that just blows it way out of proportion. Why don't you claim Jacksonville is a DANGEROUS city? There are stats which show it as being a dangerous city...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: JAX
700 posts, read 633,772 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Call it what you want but I'd hardly call it DANGEROUS. More of a potential (statistic-wise) of having an accident? Obviously. But dangerous? Come on.
If you have an auto accident, you could get injured or killed. Therefore, if there is a statistically higher chance of having an accident somewhere,.... I'd say it's dangerous.

Nobody is saying if you drive down Beach, you're going to die. Just sayin'.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 490 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mina21 View Post
Thank you! At this point we really hope to find something in Mandarin, we have seen a few houses and are going to see them this weekend,plus have people thaat live there and really like it. I know people keep suggesting other areas, but..there are no houses i see available in those, and it seems we'll have some traffic issues anywhere in JAX .
Not sure if you have found a rental property yet, but I am being relocated for my work and need to rent out my 3 bedroom home. I am located on the Southside off of Kernan, not far from Beach Blvd. Nice quiet area. Let me know if you are still looking. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top