Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,187 times

Advertisements

Any advice as what areas to avoid? I am moving up there from Miami as soon as I get clearance for the position I have applied for. I've been there once, looked at some apartments and was very pleased until I read horrible reviews for them. I have a friend who lives about 20 minutes down from Jax telling me what areas are good and bad, but I would rather know from someone who actually lives there. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,479,823 times
AVOID! The inner north and inner west sides of Jax and about all of the northwest quadrant.
Also avoid the 103rd street corridor from I-295 to SR-23.
Also avoid the Phillips highway corridor from St Augustine Rd to about Sunbeam Rd.
Also avoid the Mayport Rd corridor from Atlantic Blvd to the Naval Station
Also avoid "Sin City" between arlington Expwy and Beach Atlantic Blvd and Arlington Rd and Southside Blvd.

Rather a broad list, maybe you could narrow your search parameters down a little.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,295,663 times
Avoid the Northside and Westside.

Drive around and observe your surroundings, if you see undesirables, go with your gut instinct and keep going.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,479,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Another broad and all encompassing incorrect statement, not all areas of the north side or west side are bad, just certain areas. As are certain areas on all the other sides of town too, south side, east side, Arlington and the Beaches.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,187 times
thanx guys. when I head out that way, I will let you know what I find.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 PM

705 posts, read 1,569,822 times
madcapmagishion:

Quote:
AVOID! The inner north and inner west sides of Jax and about all of the northwest quadrant.
crazynip:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Another broad and all encompassing incorrect statement, not all areas of the north side or west side are bad, just certain areas. As are certain areas on all the other sides of town too, south side, east side, Arlington and the Beaches.
Um,....what's the difference between "avoid the Northside and Westside" and "AVOID! ....about all of the northwest quadrant"?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM

I'd say avoid:

1.The area north or downtown completely. jsu813 will be jumping in here and saying Springfield (which is north of downtown) is a wonderful place. I say avoid the entire area.

2.The area west of downtown with the exception of Riverside. Riverside is one of, if not the most desirable neighborhood in JAX. It's a vital, historic, central, younger (residents), relatively safe, walkable area along the St. John's River just south of downtown.

3.Arlington

My favorite neighborhoods:

1. Riverside

2. Atlantic Beach

3. Southside

Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,253,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I'd say avoid:

1.The area north or downtown completely. jsu813 will be jumping in here and saying Springfield (which is north of downtown) is a wonderful place. I say avoid the entire area.

2.The area west of downtown with the exception of Riverside. Riverside is one of, if not the most desirable neighborhood in JAX. It's a vital, historic, central, younger (residents), relatively safe, walkable area along the St. John's River just south of downtown.

3.Arlington

My favorite neighborhoods:

1. Riverside

2. Atlantic Beach

3. Southside

Let's go in order....

1. Yes, the Springfield historic district is a pretty enjoyable place to live. If you like walkable/bikeable areas, lots of parks, unique & eclectic businesses and architecture, creativity, social events, proximity to Downtown amenities and the other similar, cool, more developed historic neighborhoods like the Riverside & Avondale historic district and San Marco, which are just a few miles away. Used to be bad neighborhood in the 90's. Now it's been recognized by lots of local, state, and national press as a cool, up & coming place to live.

But, don't take my word for it:

The South's Best Neighborhoods - Southern Living

A Nod to the Past | jacksonville.com

Florida Trend Magazine Highlights Springfield | What's Up Jacksonville

Sunshine and surprises in Jacksonville, Fla. - PhotoGallery - Chicago Sun-Times

and billion cool things on www.myspringfield.org.

I have more media links highlighting the neighborhood too. Or you can follow abvavgjpoe's advice in thinking it's a neighborhood to avoid.

Just outside the neighborhood, yes, it's still rough. Inside, it's good. But no area of Jax is overly dangerous just to pass through. There's no gangs. Sometimes I wonder if commentors have actually been to a legitamtely bad neighborhood outside of Jacksonville.

2. Again, this opinion is enormously flawed. Riverside is part of the Riverside & Avondale historic district. Avondale is great too. As is Ortega, Venetia, & St. Johns Quarter. Murray Hill and Fairfax are pretty good neighborhoods too. All on the Westide.

3. Again, just depends. Arlington is no doubt on the decline, but there are still nice parts, especially near the water.

The Beaches and the very vague "Southside" have plenty of bad spots and crime too. All you have to do is open the paper to see that crime happens everywhere on a daily basis. In general, the Northwest quadrant has the most concentration of crime.

That's pretty vague too though. So, here's a map:

This map is super flawed as well and does not represent the areas of town correctly, however the area labeled as Northwest is generally accurate, more or less, and is where the most crime occurs.

So, with that craziness out of the way....

If your a young-ish person (and for some reason I think you are) that likes things to do close by, prefers walkable/bikeable neighborhoods, being around other young-ish people, and enjoys culture, parks, and an eclectic, progressive lifestyle, here's a few good spots:

- Riverside & Avondale historic district: www.riverside-avondale.com

&

- San Marco: www.mysanmarco.com .& .www.smpsjax.com

- Springfield historic district: www.myspringfield.org .& .Springfield Preservation and Revitalization (SPAR) - Community/Government - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook

- Atlantic Beach: The Atlantic Beach Official Website!

If you're into more suburban living, huge apartment complexes, driving everywhere, big box stores & chain restaurants, then you'd like the Gate Parkway/ Hodges Blvd/Southside Blvd area of town. Not really neighborhoods, these are collections of large apartment complexes separated by expressways, strip malls, Applebees, & Targets. : ) As you can see, I don't really care for homogenous suburban living, but some do.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM

71 posts, read 276,091 times
Make it easy on yourself, ErnDaFern.

Just avoid the areas that are heavily infested with Section 8 housing.

Almost anyplace else is safe.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Let's go in order....

1. Yes, the Springfield historic district is a pretty enjoyable place to live. If you like walkable/bikeable areas, lots of parks, unique & eclectic businesses and architecture, creativity, social events, proximity to Downtown amenities and the other similar, cool, more developed historic neighborhoods like the Riverside & Avondale historic district and San Marco, which are just a few miles away. Used to be bad neighborhood in the 90's. Now it's been recognized by lots of local, state, and national press as a cool, up & coming place to live.

But, don't take my word for it:

The South's Best Neighborhoods - Southern Living

A Nod to the Past | jacksonville.com

Florida Trend Magazine Highlights Springfield | What's Up Jacksonville

Sunshine and surprises in Jacksonville, Fla. - PhotoGallery - Chicago Sun-Times

and billion cool things on www.myspringfield.org.

I have more media links highlighting the neighborhood too. Or you can follow abvavgjpoe's advice in thinking it's a neighborhood to avoid.

Just outside the neighborhood, yes, it's still rough. Inside, it's good. But no area of Jax is overly dangerous just to pass through. There's no gangs. Sometimes I wonder if commentors have actually been to a legitamtely bad neighborhood outside of Jacksonville.
How did I know this was coming? Don't get your feathers ruffled, sir. You really like Springfield and I don't. I was just posting an opinion on a message board. I thought that's what I was supposed to do. Not everyone's opinion will be the same. Just post yours and move along. After a number of replys from different people and doing his/her own homework the OP should be able to make up his/her own mind.

Quote:
2. Again, this opinion is enormously flawed. Riverside is part of the Riverside & Avondale historic district. Avondale is great too. As is Ortega, Venetia, & St. Johns Quarter. Murray Hill and Fairfax are pretty good neighborhoods too. All on the Westide.
More of the same. Look, it's a list of MY favorite neighborhoods. How can my list be flawed? It's my opinion. I purposely omitted Avondale because I don't feel you get the same bang for your buck you get with Riverside. Riverside is younger, more vibrant, more convenient, more walkable and cheaper. I didn't mention Ortega, Venitia or St. John's quarter because I'm not familiar with them. Murray Hill, In my opinion, isn't anything to write home about. There are many good neighborhoods in Jacksonville, those are just my top 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville