Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Thanks for the additional info on the lock box - but here's my problem and it has been that since I first posted: The tenant is not the one in an agreement with the agent - the landlord is. So the tenant has no right to request the CBS or other code.
The CBS code would serve no purpose to the tenant, so I'm not sure why they would need to know it. The CBS code prevents "rogue" showing agents or other authorized lockbox users from just arriving at the property to open the lockbox at their leisure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Perhaps I wasn't clear.

The tenant is not in a position to request that a CBS code be put into the box. It isn't up to the tenant, that request is made by the LL.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
The CBS code would serve no purpose to the tenant, so I'm not sure why they would need to know it. The CBS code prevents "rogue" showing agents or other authorized lockbox users from just arriving at the property to open the lockbox at their leisure.
I think Ny Annie's point is the landlord may not request the CBS code, as he doesn't seem to care about the tenant, just in selling the home. As has been related in this thread.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM

237 posts, read 496,638 times
NY Annie,

If you dislike the lockbox this much I wonder want you think of Open Houses, whereby you get a bunch of non-qualified individual walking through your home.

You dislike Lockboxes. I accept that, though I wonder if you will feel the same when it comes to selling your own properties.

You would agree to the lockbox, but put up some kind of device to stop the door from being opened! Seriously, what would be the point; to **** everyone off?

But where I disagree with you is your statement that the LL has made this a lose-lose situation. I do not see where the Landlord has done anything unreasonable. Maybe I have to re-read everything again. But the Landlord has agree to give more notice than required by the Florida Statues and the only thing he has asked is for PERMISSION to install a lockbox. What is unreasonable about that?

The tenant asked why the Landlord wants to install a lockbox and I tried to explain some reasons, but the tenant does not have to agree to the Lockbox.

The only other thing the Tenant mentioned was that they were willing to terminate the lease early, but the Landlord was cash strapped and did not agree to that. The landlord does not have to agree to change the terms of the lease. Again I do not think that is unreasonable. The guy is probably underwater and losing money every month.

But, of course, I am not the one talking to the landlord so it is hard to say if the landlord is being unreasonable or not.

And regarding the CBS code, I would imagine the landlord would agree to this, other restrictions and terms, which are agreeable to all parties. Why wouldn't he; unless he is crazy? After all he wants a cooperating tenant to keep the house clean and work with him to show the property. He does not want some angry tenant when he is trying to sell his home.

Last edited by rwbil; 05-20-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
You would agree to the lockbox, but put up some kind of device to stop the door from being opened! Seriously, what would be the point; to **** everyone off?
Probably to stop the random Realtor driving people around the area, from dropping in unannounced without an appointment.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear.

The tenant is not in a position to request that a CBS code be put into the box. It isn't up to the tenant, that request is made by the LL.
I misread your post. I'm sorry, and thank you for clarifying it.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Attach the lock box to a tree or something if the sight of it on the front door causes such emotional damage.

This petty issue, complete with "oh hell no" ranting by the original poster, causes only one person damage, the landlord. This is money.

I'd take that month to month away asap if I were him.

Why did you even post here?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
First, I am not the OP and I said "oh hell no" to signing that contract and to the lock box.

Second, yup, it's money and the landlord benefits in all situations: monthly rent while the house is on the market and getting out from under the mortgage once he sells.

Good plan, stan. Take away that month to month - kick the tenant out? The LL is "cash strapped". Did you read this thread?

Who said the sight of the lockbox caused anyone emotional damage? Aesthetics were never mentioned. It is all about privacy and security.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Second, yup, it's money and the landlord benefits in all situations: monthly rent while the house is on the market and getting out from under the mortgage once he sells.
Been following this thread and I am still wondering why there is such animosity towards the landlord for wanting to sell the house and (possibly) make money. That is usually the reason most landlords rent properties--to make money. Is he/she not allowed?

Just curious.

I think the whole thing is kinda funny actually (not wanting a lock box) but I can understand why. I guess it's just not all that big of a deal and I don't understand where everyone has made this into such a huge issue. Either allow the lockbox or don't. Whether the landlord is profiting from selling the house (or not) is none of the renter's business to be quite honest--I don't know whether the renter was one of the people complaining about it or not.

If I were the landlord, I'd want a lockbox on the property. However, if my tenants did not want one, I would have a talk with them and, after it being explained properly, I'd probably understand and be find with no lockbox. But that's me.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Yeah, this one has gone way beyond the original query. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville