Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the tenant not wanting the lockbox has teens home alone during summer or after school. Or works different hours and needs to sleep during the day. Or has a dog. There are many reasons for a lock box not being ok.

There are so many people with real estate licenses in FL - and rentals tend to be lower end of real estate market - ie, the "new" realtors that are not well known may be handling rentals. (No offense here, just stating what I have seen).

The risk is not acceptable to some people. Therefore, this is a good reminder for renters to check lease if you're opposed to lockbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:08 PM

237 posts, read 496,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post

There are so many people with real estate licenses in FL - and rentals tend to be lower end of real estate market - ie, the "new" realtors that are not well known may be handling rentals. (No offense here, just stating what I have seen).
Mostly are as the returns are better, but there are rentals in nice areas. In fact I think all my rentals are in nice areas: East Arlington, Southside, Mandarin and so forth.

But I thought this was a real estate agent showing the property to sell it, not to rent it. So not about experience handling rentals.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 AM

62 posts, read 135,972 times
I would not sign anything agreeing to a lockbox.
What I would sign is a revised agreement taking the notice time down from 24 hrs to 12 hrs. That to me, is a compromise

Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHopefuls View Post
I would not sign anything agreeing to a lockbox.
What I would sign is a revised agreement taking the notice time down from 24 hrs to 12 hrs. That to me, is a compromise
In this HOT real estate market I do not even see why there is an issue. Show on night and weekends when the tenant is home and if not sold quickly, the place is overpriced for its condition (which is very likely with a tenant occupied property). Just showed a home listed on Friday and line of agents showing on Sat. (back to back) and gone that day. There really should be no issue if the landlord and tenant are both reasonable folks.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 AM

23 posts, read 18,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I extend the 12-hour reasonable notice to my showings and inspections. My tenants haven't complained.

In my opinion, it does make showing a property more difficult when there's no lockbox. If an agent is showing several properties to a buyer, it can be challenging to have to make special arrangements to meet a specific time frame to accommodate a tenant. Part of it is fueled by laziness, I'll admit. But it also could keep a property from even being shown if a buyer wants some privacy while they are viewing the house. Frankly, some tenants will not give a buyer or their agent any space to breathe during a showing. It's a buyer's market, so the ones that are easy to show are the ones that get shown.

This may not have helped you, but it's what I have experienced.

Just chime in : Its extermely rude and irresponsible for a landlord to not respect a tenant privacy. Its bad enough these people are being imposed upon to show the place they live in for purchase. If the landlord knew he was renting the place out why not wait till the tenant leaves to show the place. Its available then and he can put whatever lockbox he wants on his door - because it would be his door.

If a landlord wants full access to his/her property at all times - than don't rent out that property

Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLINY123 View Post
Just chime in : Its extermely rude and irresponsible for a landlord to not respect a tenant privacy. Its bad enough these people are being imposed upon to show the place they live in for purchase. If the landlord knew he was renting the place out why not wait till the tenant leaves to show the place. Its available then and he can put whatever lockbox he wants on his door - because it would be his door.

If a landlord wants full access to his/her property at all times - than don't rent out that property
So you think the contract that both parties signed and agreed to is meaningless???? I would say this. If you are going to rent a property and do not want the Landlord to show it then don't sign a lease that says you agree to those terms!

I show properties all the time that are tenant occupied. But I also tell them right up front I will be doing that before they sign my lease and I give them plenty of notice and even pay them due to the inconvenience.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 750 times
My landlord's realtor stated she needs to put a lock box on the home so she can list it next week. She also stated she needs me to give her days that it can be shown. She then said she needs me to give her one of my house keys for the lock box. (I use both of my keys) My landlord has informed me that it will not be shown without us there, only with a realtor and only when it is convenient for us. (Single mom, concerned about safety, and we have a cat that runs and hides around strangers). My question is this, why do they need a lock box then? That does not make me feel safe. Especially since I was just given the code to several lock boxes to look at rentals by myself before I found this home. Of course they were empty, but it was still very strange to just walk through a home on your own, then let them know what you thought. My lease does not say anything about entering for the purpose of selling, just repairs and things. I'm very concerned about safety. My landlord also stated that she is not in a hurry to sell, so this may be going on for a long time for us. We still have 8 months left on our lease.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
FL Landlord-Tenant Law affords the landlord the right to show the property to prospective buyers, with reasonable notice to the tenant. (F.S 83.53-Landlord’s access to dwelling unit.) You, however, can decide whether you wish to be present during those times. Their Realtor should be presenting you with some sort of Lockbox Addendum, which requires them to obtain your signature as notice. I'm pretty sure that if you do not authorize the use of the lockbox, they cannot place the lockbox on the property. The bottom line is that you have a right to quiet use and enjoyment of the property, and the landlord should respect that. Their Realtor should have explained to the landlord that it won't be easy selling a tenant-occupied property, especially if the sale is subject to the lease term. It does suck for you, though, that you have to put up with it for potentially a long time. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2018, 01:17 PM

SRMILLER,

You case is quite different than the original poster. The landlord has the right to show the property to potential buyers if they give you proper notice, but for the life of me I don't know why they would want to do that as I think it is a big mistake.

I show properties that are tenant occupied when they are moving out to other tenants all the time, but I have and would never do that with a property I was going to sell, unless it is being sold as an investment property in which case occupancy is important. Frankly for one things tenants are not going to keep the property in showing condition.

IMHO the landlord will get a lot more money for this property if he waits for the tenant to leave, fixes up the property, stages it properly and then sells it. At least that is what I do.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 PM

443 posts, read 895,311 times
I don't think SRMiller is objecting to having prospective buyers view the property. She's objecting to the lockbox, since the landlord assured her that the property would not be shown unless she was home. I can't say I blame her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville