Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
LOL great!!!!!!!!!!! After I was even told the sharks aren't that big of a deal... awesome :-)
They aren't unless you have an irrational fear of sharks. You have better odds of getting struck by lightening.
odds of being struck by lightening: 576,000 to 1
odds of being attacked by a shark: 11.5 million to 1
About the only worse odds are of you or me winning the Power Ball.
odds of winning the Powe Ball jackpot: 175,223,510.00 to 1

Last edited by madcapmagishion; 05-24-2012 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 AM

145 posts, read 237,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
They aren't unless you have an irrational fear of sharks. You have better odd's of getting struck by lightening.
odds of being struck by lightening: 576,000 to 1
odds of being attacked by a shark: 11.5 million to 1
About the only worse odds are of you or me winning the Power Ball.
odds of winning the Powe Ball jackpot: 175,223,510.00 to 1
Ok that's helpful haha I do have an irrational fear of sharks... Not sure why. I didn't use to when I was younger. Maybe it's a general fear of things I can't see that could possibly attack me? OR maybe it's just that I have watched way too many nature programs :-)

Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
Ok that's helpful haha I do have an irrational fear of sharks... Not sure why. I didn't use to when I was younger. Maybe it's a general fear of things I can't see that could possibly attack me? OR maybe it's just that I have watched way too many nature programs :-)
LOL, I have a fear of anything I can't see that might bite me. When I was very little I was pinched by a crab on my toe. Ever since, I jump whenever I step on anything that is not sand. Sometimes I just wear my sandals into the water, when I do go in, which is not often these days. Usually I'm content to just walk along the beach or stand and watch the waves.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Ive never ever heard of Shark Attacks at Jax Beach...that has to be a scary experience.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ive never ever heard of Shark Attacks at Jax Beach...that has to be a scary experience.
According to the International Shark Attack File, since record-keeping began in the 1880's, Duval County has had a total of 20 shark attacks. That's 1 bite every 6.6 years.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bativac View Post
i can confirm that i was at the beach yesterday, in the water, and neither my wife nor myself (nor several of the small children and dogs in the water) were victims of a shark attack. We did, however, find a couple dead crabs.
lmao!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
According to the International Shark Attack File, since record-keeping began in the 1880's, Duval County has had a total of 20 shark attacks. That's 1 bite every 6.6 years.
So, after the other day, we're good for another 6.6 years.

But seriously people, there ARE sharks in the ocean...yeah, I know it's hard to believe until there is an attack. However, sharks--for the most part--don't care much about us humans. We don't taste like chicken to them or, if we do, they don't like chicken. I know, not much help if you're one of the rare victims of an attack.

Sharks tend to attack surfers because they look suspiciously like a seal--one of their favorite foods) from below when the surfer is paddling on their board. I don't know what the ratio of surfers to swimmers who are attacked but I'm guessing it's quite low--not that attacks on swimmers don't happen of course.

I used to do a lot of diving before an accident. I've done NUMEROUS dives with sharks--not just shark dives (where the sharks are accustomed to having people around) but sharks in the wild. Sharks are fairly inquisitive but very skittish (well, great whites and tiger sharks are fairly aggressive but other sharks are skittish).

We go in the water all of the time and we let our kids play in the water all of the time. It would be horrible if one of us--or anyone for that matter--were to get attacked but I don't even think about it.

Some tips would be to NOT swim near fishing piers. Surfers like surfing by the piers because the pier causes the wave action to create a better bottom for surfing waves. Unfortunately, fishing piers have lots of good-smelling stuff in the water from all of the people fishing. This can attract more sharks near fishing piers and would increase the chance of being attacked.

Don't go into the water during dusk or dawn. Sharks tend to have poor eyesight and are more likely to make a mistake when lighting isn't good for them. Also, they tend to feed during these times (and at night) so they're more active and looking for food during these times.

Just some tips to lower the chances of a shark attack.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 AM

705 posts, read 1,574,570 times
Quote:
Saw on the news that this was the 1st attack in Jacksonville, but the 11th attack in Florida this year. Looks like it's going to be a busy season, for all the beaches hospitals emergency rooms.
11 attacks in FL in May sounds really high. However, if you consider the vast numbers of swimmers, surfers, waders, divers, etc., etc. that enter the water every day,....it's a tiny number. For more comprehensive data:

FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Stats, Trends, Analysis of Shark Attacks

Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Back in 1975 while I was away at college, an old fishing buddy of my uncle Jack, Blackie Reasor caught a world record Hammerhead shark off of the old Jax Beach Pier.
Here's a photo of Blackie Reasor with his 1975 world record Hammerhead shark 14 feet 4 inches long -703 lbs it beat the old world record in 1975 by almost 300 lbs.

This record stood until 2006 when a female great Hammerhead was caught at Boco Grande Pass, FL. and measured at
14 feet 6 inches long and 1,262 pounds, with its hammer measuring more than 3 feet across. She was possibly pregnant.
Attached Thumbnails
Jax Beach Shark Attacks!!! Blood everywhere!-101063130qbkdda1ablackiereasorpi-1.jpg  

Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 AM

145 posts, read 237,727 times
Omg that is crazy huge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville