U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 PM

35 posts, read 53,442 times
Default good places to hike in north florida?

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to hike in north florida. I'm an avid hiker, but unfortunately I have to plan trips way in advanced to places far away from Jacksonville to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies.

I would definitely love to do some day hikes on the weekends that are in places that are short driving distances from the Jacksonville area.

I know of small places like the Ravines in Palatka and the Arboretum in the Mounument area. Those aren't bad. Though they pale in comparison to hiking up Mount Roan in Tennesse, lol .

In any case, does anyone know of any places that I can do some day hiking in the North Florida area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 PM

336 posts, read 202,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaded_seconds View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to hike in north florida. I'm an avid hiker, but unfortunately I have to plan trips way in advanced to places far away from Jacksonville to enjoy one of my favorite hobbies.

I would definitely love to do some day hikes on the weekends that are in places that are short driving distances from the Jacksonville area.

I know of small places like the Ravines in Palatka and the Arboretum in the Mounument area. Those aren't bad. Though they pale in comparison to hiking up Mount Roan in Tennesse, lol .

In any case, does anyone know of any places that I can do some day hiking in the North Florida area?

Nothing like the Tennessee Mountains here in North Florida, but there are several nice near by hikes that you might enjoy.

Here's a list of several.

North Florida | Florida Hikes!

I can vouch for Big Talbot, and Little Talbot Islands.

If you're willing to invest a little more time, Ocala National Forest offers some great hiking.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,273,394 times
Didn't see this one on there: Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens

Old 05-27-2012, 06:42 PM

123 posts, read 168,524 times
Hey JS,

Our three favorite hikes around jax (so far) are Cedar Point, Tiger Point and Julington/ Durbin Preserve. Here are some links. You might also kick around the website (EveryTrail), good place get an idea of what the trails looks like.

Hiking Cedar Point Preserve - Hiking trip | EveryTrail

Betz-Tiger Point Caching - Geocaching trip | EveryTrail

Julington-Durbin Preserve - Geocaching trip | EveryTrail

Julington-Durbin revisited - Geocaching trip | EveryTrail

Also if you're into local history some excellent hiking around the old Yellow Water Naval Gunnery School now the park area north of the equestrian center. Here's a great thread about it: WWII era Yellow Water Naval Air Gunnery School I think the name of the park is Tay Brown but not sure.

Tillie Fowler park in Yukon (across17 from NAS Jax) is good too. Gotta eat at Trents when you come out! Great seafood!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM

219 posts, read 213,981 times
There are plenty of meetup.com groups that hike all over the area. Suwanee, Guana, Arboretum... I know little about hiking but I'm sure those groups would be happy to share their knowledge.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM

336 posts, read 202,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Didn't see this one on there: Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens
???

I believe that this one was specifically mentioned by the OP as something he was already aware of.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,512,825 times
One of the absolute best hiking trails in N. Florida is The Florida Trail in the Osceola National Forest. 1 hour west of Jacksonville on US-90. (Beaver Street) About 50 miles from downtown Jacksonville
The Florida Trail in the Osceola National Forest

Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,362 posts, read 6,007,750 times
^^^^ My favorite place on earth! ^^^^

Old 05-31-2012, 01:36 PM

504 posts, read 586,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
One of the absolute best hiking trails in N. Florida is The Florida Trail in the Osceola National Forest. 1 hour west of Jacksonville on US-90. (Beaver Street) About 50 miles from downtown Jacksonville
The Florida Trail in the Osceola National Forest
I have been on parts of the Florida Trail near Juniper Springs near Ocala and along the Aucilla River near Tallahassee in Taylor County... there are actually rapids on that river there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville