Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM

4,793 posts, read 5,963,551 times

Advertisements

Florida does have other ferry's although your right the Mayport one is the only one to transport autos.

Again tit for tat, the Skyway costs 4M plus each year and it is free, surely they can subsidize the ferry for 750K. Extend the hours back to what they used to be and you will increase ridership.

Another thought, ridership seemed to go down around the same time the Kennedy left......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM

336 posts, read 448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
Before the port authority bought, leveled and fenced in the Mayport waterfront the ferry ride from Fort George was a nice way to end a day. Something refreshing about eating dinner at Singletons and looking at the shrimping fleet. Seems the 'quiet little fishing village' atmosphere is gone now. Not just sad, it's plain wrong. This is our history gone. I feel there's more to the equation than bottom line and revenue, there's a responsibility to maintain and preserve some things. It's not always about a damn dollar.

Well Bob, it kinda is always about the bottom line dollar.

As long as what we're talking about isn't near and dear to your own particular heart, I'm sure you wouldn't mind cutting it. What I mean is that for you, the ferry is worth paying a little more in taxes, to keep it going. But for me, it isn't.

Conversely, I go crazy whenever I read, or hear talk about the cutting of our schools education budgets. But, you might not care in the least about education, particularly if you happen to be a fixed income retiree, with all of your children long gone.

The main point is that we're already in a deficit situation. No one wants to pay any more in taxes, no one wants to run a budget deficit (supposedly) because it isn't fair to future generations, and no one wants any of the specific services that they use to be cut. The math just doesn't work.

In this particular case, I can see how people from the Mayport and AB area could be upset about the ferry going away. But most of us in the County or City don't really care, so we don't want to pay to keep it going, just so afew people can take a trip down memory lane, a few times a year.

If we don't want to raise taxes, and we don't want to burden our children with all of the debt we created, then we're all going to have to get used to cuts, and lots of them. That means some of the programs and services that both you and I think are great, will probably have to go.

OR, we could raise taxes on the 1%, and keep all of our services. But that's a post for another day...............

Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Florida does have other ferry's although your right the Mayport one is the only one to transport autos.

Again tit for tat, the Skyway costs 4M plus each year and it is free, surely they can subsidize the ferry for 750K. Extend the hours back to what they used to be and you will increase ridership.

Another thought, ridership seemed to go down around the same time the Kennedy left......

Well, 750k is 750k, the Kennedy isn't coming back, and extended hours mean extended cost.

And we haven't even talked about the 4 million repair costs...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,464,405 times
Quote:

Since when is the Automated Skyway free? I rode it back in December just to see what it was about, and it cost a whole $0.50 The only ones technically that ride for free are handicapped people like myself, even though I paid. The greatest waste is, while riding from one end to the other only 4 people got on and off. All at the FSCJ end of the line. When I repaid and got back on a total of 3 people got on and off.

Maybe if Congress and the Navy get off their collective as*** and berth another carrier here like has been rumored, one like the "Kennedy" will be back.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Since when is the Automated Skyway free? I rode it back in December just to see what it was about, and it cost a whole $0.50 The only ones technically that ride for free are handicapped people like myself, even though I paid. The greatest waste is, while riding from one end to the other only 4 people got on and off. All at the FSCJ end of the line. When I repaid and got back on a total of 3 people got on and off.

Maybe if Congress and the Navy get off their collective as*** and berth another carrier here like has been rumored, one like the "Kennedy" will be back.

It seems like those carrier rumors get louder every time it's time for Anders Crenshaw to run for re-election again.

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. The Pols in Virginia seem to carry a lot more weight with the military, than our Pols do.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,281,420 times
Quote:
Where have you been hiding, the Staten Island Ferry handles in excess of 19M people a year and it is FREE. Although after 911 cars were no longer allowed on the ferry's.

The Mayport Ferry is not the only ferry to operate currently in Florida.
Comparing the lame ass Mayport ferry to the Staten Island ferry is a stretch. Big LOL's on that.

I know it's not the only ferry, there is also one here in Tampa which goes from Ft. Desoto to Egmont key, but it dont carry autos. And the only reason it exists is to get the channel pilots out to the island. The port authority pays for it.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,241,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
The main point is that we're already in a deficit situation. No one wants to pay any more in taxes, no one wants to run a budget deficit (supposedly) because it isn't fair to future generations, and no one wants any of the specific services that they use to be cut. The math just doesn't work.
Actually, I think many people are ok with their taxes going up slightly to pay for a higher QOL.

A .5 cent sale tax goes a long way. As does a mill here or there on our extremely low property taxes.

You get what you pay for.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Actually, I think many people are ok with their taxes going up slightly to pay for a higher QOL.

A .5 cent sale tax goes a long way. As does a mill here or there on our extremely low property taxes.

You get what you pay for.

I agree with you about the .5 sale tax!

But, unfortunately, I don't agree that most people around here agree with us.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM

4,793 posts, read 5,963,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post

Something is wrong with the new system they put on the Skyway for collecting fee's. It is free for now....again a 4Mplus system that is an albatross certainly shows that the JTA is not concerned about profit. He'll, you have people working for the JTA that can't screen out people with no licenses making six figures, I sure not going to believe them when they throw out 4M as a cost to fix the ferry.

Damn, where is the uproar over the Skyway.......if you let people ride on the ferry for free it will boost ridership......what's wrong with that JTA mentality working on the ferry?

JTA might end Skyway fares permanently | jacksonville.com

Have a good day everyone.....

Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,281,420 times
The skyway is a joke too. It goes from nowhere to nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville