Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 PM

336 posts, read 450,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
As are all other forms of public transportation (paid for by tax dollars). So what's your point?

And I think you underestimate the ridership at the ferry. You make it seem like it just goes back and forth with no cars on it. We ride on it (at least) a couple of times a month. I've never seen it less than half full and usually it's almost full.

I don't believe (for a second) it's a lack of ridership issue. It all goes back to the political wrangling which has gone on for way before I moved here.

OK, I'll try one more time,

WE HAVE A BETTER OPTION FOR THE FERRY. IT'S CALLED THE DAMES POINT BRIDGE.

Tax payer public transportation is not double funded.

NYC does not have another option for the Staten Island ferry. If NYC did build a brand new bridge crossing from Manhatten to Staten Island, and the ridership of the ferry did drop substantially as a result of the bridge opening, (which it would) then NYC would immediately close the ferry. NYC would not pay to keep both options running.

As for ridership, right now the Mayport ferry is only running one boat back and forth. And as you say, this one boat usually isn't full. Before the Bridge, it was running 2 boats, that were always full. So, ridership has decreased substantially.

Sorry, but it seems that you're too emotionally involved in this to be objective. It sounds like you've already made up your mind, and now don't want to be confused by the facts.

It's losing money, we have a better option, it is slower for the overwhelming majority of Jax residents, it only serves a small portion of the area residents, and it needs expensive repairs.

Once it closes, I'm sure it's going to take you a bit longer to use the Dames Point during the few times that you want to go to Amelia Island etc. But that's not a good enough reason for the rest of the City to subsidise your convenience.

Look at it the other way around. When we didn't have the Dames Point, and all of the people from the entire City had to drive all the way to Mayport to take the ferry, did you have a problem at that time? Did you suggest that the ferry should be moved further West, (where the Dames Point crosses now) so that all of these people coming from all over the city wouldn't be so inconvenienced by having to drive all the way to Mayport? I'll bet not. When it's someone elses time, it's no big deal, but if it's your time, then it's a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Good points given, but why as a taxpayer would you settle for a 4M free people mover that only benefits a small group of people and is closed on the weekends and late night? The reason ridership has gone up recently is that it is for free. Did 0.50 cents make that much of a difference?

Honestly, I don't know much about the Skyway, so I don't feel that I have anything to offer that particular topic. So, I've been staying out of it.

In general, I'm against obvious waste, so if I understand the issues correctly, the Skyway doesn't seem like a very smart program either.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
As are all other forms of public transportation (paid for by tax dollars). So what's your point?

And I think you underestimate the ridership at the ferry. You make it seem like it just goes back and forth with no cars on it. We ride on it (at least) a couple of times a month. I've never seen it less than half full and usually it's almost full.

I don't believe (for a second) it's a lack of ridership issue. It all goes back to the political wrangling which has gone on for way before I moved here.

End Of The Road For The Mayport Ferry? | Life's a Beach

Herre's an interesting article.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM

5,189 posts, read 6,139,618 times
QUOTE: Jaxport took over the ferry operations in 2007 as part of the negotiations to acquire several parcels of land where it intended to build a cruise ship terminal in Mayport village. With the cruise business now low on the Port Authority’s priority list, it looks like the ferry is as well. END OF QUOTE

Political wrangling at its best. It was a tempoary chess move to aquire property in Mayport.

Todays Times Union has an article about Jaxport passing on a 250M deal involving shipping. They said they are waiting for something sweeter

As passionate as we all are about things around us, the bottom line is taxpayers really have no say in most of city goverment. It's everywhere. Heck my home state just lost 50M to Curt Shilling as part of an economic development package to produce video games at his new company 38 Studios (which just went belly up).

If the ferry disappears come rain or shine we will make a couple of more trips across than usual.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Hmm, your comments, well, make absolutely no sense.

Right, we'll all pick up and move.

You subsidize things you don't use ALL of the time when you pay your taxes. Why aren't you complaining about that? ALL of public transportation is subsidized by you and me and... The police department is subsidized, schools, roads, etc. I could go on.
It's not hard to believe that Jacksonville residents cannot understand logic and reason.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
OK, I'll try one more time,

WE HAVE A BETTER OPTION FOR THE FERRY. IT'S CALLED THE DAMES POINT BRIDGE.

Tax payer public transportation is not double funded.

NYC does not have another option for the Staten Island ferry. If NYC did build a brand new bridge crossing from Manhatten to Staten Island, and the ridership of the ferry did drop substantially as a result of the bridge opening, (which it would) then NYC would immediately close the ferry. NYC would not pay to keep both options running.

As for ridership, right now the Mayport ferry is only running one boat back and forth. And as you say, this one boat usually isn't full. Before the Bridge, it was running 2 boats, that were always full. So, ridership has decreased substantially.

Sorry, but it seems that you're too emotionally involved in this to be objective. It sounds like you've already made up your mind, and now don't want to be confused by the facts.

It's losing money, we have a better option, it is slower for the overwhelming majority of Jax residents, it only serves a small portion of the area residents, and it needs expensive repairs.

Once it closes, I'm sure it's going to take you a bit longer to use the Dames Point during the few times that you want to go to Amelia Island etc. But that's not a good enough reason for the rest of the City to subsidise your convenience.

Look at it the other way around. When we didn't have the Dames Point, and all of the people from the entire City had to drive all the way to Mayport to take the ferry, did you have a problem at that time? Did you suggest that the ferry should be moved further West, (where the Dames Point crosses now) so that all of these people coming from all over the city wouldn't be so inconvenienced by having to drive all the way to Mayport? I'll bet not. When it's someone elses time, it's no big deal, but if it's your time, then it's a big deal?
Exactly, it's a tourist attraction at this point. Nothing else. Let a tourist operator run it.

Hint: wont happen...

Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It's not hard to believe that Jacksonville residents cannot understand logic and reason.
Only certain ones that have moved here from Tampa!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Only certain ones that have moved here from Tampa!
You are wrong, I moved to Jax, and then OUT of Jax after having enough of the BS and terrible stink.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
Quote:
We have. I don't buy the cost. $4 million...really!!?? For what? Are they putting in GOLD pilings???

Common sense tells us it doesn't cost that much to, "repair," the landings. Heck, they could build new landings for less than that!
How do you know this?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
No argument there.
Still gets thousands of riders per month. It's often full during "rush hour".

Imagine if it was actually extended as orginally planned...to go to the sports/arena complex.

Then connect it to historic street car (which is MUCH less expensive than the Skyway) to go into Riverside & Springfield. Then to Avondale and San Macro.

Then you have yourself a real, live, effective, functaional transit system for the price of a few new overpasses/bridge paintings.

It's called investing in public infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville