Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 PM

336 posts, read 450,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Is that 300,000 people a year or 300,000 vehicles a year?
I think it's cars. Still , it doesn't sound right that only 15 cars are on the average crossing. I haven't ever seen that few, but that seems to be what the math says. I don't know...

End Of The Road For The Mayport Ferry? | Life's a Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I've already read this--and the countless other--article(s). I'm not as naive as you seem to think on this topic. Most of the people who support the ferry know quite a bit about the topic while others know very little but have this opinion it should be closed.

Oh, good. You've read it. So, you've already seen the part about the ridership decreasing to less than 300,000 vehicles last year? Or, is that just more politics?

Right, just another 'on the take' newpaper writer, who spends his life making up bogus fact, as part of an insidious plot to undermine your emotional ranting. And after we get the ferry, we're all coming for you. Boo!

It's losing money, it needs 4 million in repairs, it serves very few people, the few people it does serve is shrinking, it takes too long for the overwhelming majority of tax payers, and YOU HAVE A VIABLE OPTION.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
:::sigh:::
I don't know what it would cost but, again, common sense tells me it ain't gonna cost that much. $2 million would also probably be high. I mean, what, exactly, do they need to do? They're saying REPAIR, the landings just arean't that complicated.

If they'd said they need to dredge or something more involved, I'd be more likely to believe it but there's just no way it costs that much. I've read a LOT on the subject and NOWHERE has there been any kind of explanation of what, exactly, needs to be done and where the $4 million number comes from.

Smells like politics...

No, it smells like you have your panties all in a wad, and don't have the slightest bit of experience, or facts to be able to back up your claim that 4 million is too much.

You're obviously in no position to be able to make an unsubstantiated claim like that.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
From what I have heard all the timber, ie..bulkheads and fenders along with the metal bridgeing (what you drive across to get on/off the ferry) apparatus needs to be replaced. So I would guess about 1Million a side. Unless it's given out in a contract to the same ones that built the non-habitable court house. Then it may just take 10 years to complete and cost 60Million, and not be able to be used at all.
LOL! I think you hit the nail on the head...

Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
As the old saying goes, You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? Or is it 'not the brightest bulb on the tree?' Whatever.
Hmm, I won't even dignify this comment with much of a response...

Quote:
#1. So what if it's more convenienant for a small portion of people, like yourself? There isn't anywhere near enough of you for the rest of the city and county to pay for your convenience. That's the point. We don't want to pay for you, especially when you have a perfectly good option. We can't afford to subsidize the ferry, if we don't have to. Deal with it.
And how you know what percentage of people find it convenient how? I don't think you or I know how many people would truly find the ferry useful. Honestly, most people (I've known around here) don't even KNOW there's a ferry there!

Quote:
#2. Just because the ONE remaining ferry might on rare occasion be full, doesn't mean that ridership isn't still down. They are only operating one vessel now, instead of two. See, the way the math works is that you take the 2 and divide it in half. (1 is only half of 2) Are you still with me, or am I typing too fast for you? There are NUMEROUS articles documenting the fall in ridership.
And what, exactly, do we need (as far as ridership), to make it useful? Again, I don't think you or I know the answer to this. You think the ferry was profitable before?

Quote:
#3. If we keep it, we need to raise taxes, because the ferry is a money loser, that needs to be susidized. At the same time, we have a perfectly good option, in the Dames Point. Subsidizing public transportation, during a time of budgetary crisis, when there is already another good option, is not responsible government. When you buy a new car, do you still keep the old one around, that was always breaking down, just so you can spend a bunch of money repairing it, over and over? No, you get rid of it, before it really breaks down, and costs you a bunch of money.
Again, much of what you're saying is the crap the port is spewing to the public and much of that is political wrangling because, honestly, they just don't want to be bothered with it. Not because of money or anything else, they just don't want to deal with it.
Quote:
I stand by my original suggestion. If the ferry is so important to the people of Mayport and Atlantic Beach, then raise your own taxes to pay for it. It's kinda hard to argue that the ferry is soooo important, but you would never consider paying a little more in taxes to keep it.
Again, raising taxes isn't always the correct answer. It's the quick, simple answer but there is much more to the equation than just raising taxes.

Quote:
This is an old dead topic, that has been researched, discussed, and investigated for the past 20 years, ever since the Dames Point first opened up. The only surprise is how the ferry has managed to survive for this long.
Obviously, it must make sense to some people--even though it makes no sense to you. Deal with it.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Oh, good. You've read it. So, you've already seen the part about the ridership decreasing to less than 300,000 vehicles last year? Or, is that just more politics?

Right, just another 'on the take' newpaper writer, who spends his life making up bogus fact, as part of an insidious plot to undermine your emotional ranting. And after we get the ferry, we're all coming for you. Boo!

It's losing money, it needs 4 million in repairs, it serves very few people, the few people it does serve is shrinking, it takes too long for the overwhelming majority of tax payers, and YOU HAVE A VIABLE OPTION.
OMG! You're stuck on $4 million repairs. Please, enlighten me. What, exactly, needs repairing which could possibly cost anywhere near that? If they were replacing boats (plural), I could see that but nothing else.

Where did I ever question the ridership decreasing?

Oh and, using your own numbers, assuming 821 cars per ferry transit (they're not all cars, trucks, RVs, motorcyles, bike riders, etc.) let's figure on the $5 average per rider (vehicle). That works out to be $4,105 per day times 365 days equals just under $1.5 million. Ok, I'm not going to say it doesn't cost them that much to run it--I'm sure it costs them more. But, really, how much more does it cost (I don't know). I'd venture to guess it probably loses no more than (and maybe less than) other forms of public transportation (figured as averages). So let's stop this whining about, "It's losing money!!! Oh the horror!!!" It's no different than other government-provided services, they pretty much ALL lose money!

This sounds more and more like you're pissed about something

Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
No, it smells like you have your panties all in a wad, and don't have the slightest bit of experience, or facts to be able to back up your claim that 4 million is too much.

You're obviously in no position to be able to make an unsubstantiated claim like that.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
??? And what FACTS are you using to substantiate the claims of $4 million? I can't help it if you refuse to use common sense.

I'm guessing you've never seen how things like this always get made to look worse than they are (or better) so the people in power get what they want.

You seem to have YOUR panties in an uproar. What's your (personal) beef with the ferry? Why don't you go after the bus system here in Jacksonville? Not like they make money either.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Hmm, I won't even dignify this comment with much of a response...
It's a joke son! Just like my original joke.
We need to stop taking ourselves so darn seriously. Sheesh!

And how you know what percentage of people find it convenient how? I don't think you or I know how many people would truly find the ferry useful. Honestly, most people (I've known around here) don't even KNOW there's a ferry there! Exactly. If the ferry has been operating for this long, and people don't even know it's there, you are making my point for me. It's going down. Get over it.

And what, exactly, do we need (as far as ridership), to make it useful? Again, I don't think you or I know the answer to this. You think the ferry was profitable before? The issue is that there is a viable option that is availalble. We don't need two options, especially if the older, lesser used option is losing money.

Again, much of what you're saying is the crap the port is spewing to the public and much of that is political wrangling because, honestly, they just don't want to be bothered with it. Not because of money or anything else, they just don't want to deal with it. I can well understand that they don't want to be bothered by it. It loses money, it needs expensive repairs, it's out of the way for most people, ridership is shinking, and there is a viable option. Of course they don't want to be bothered by it. It's a no brainer to let it go. The only politics that are involved here are on your side. Anyone with common sense can understand that son. This all sounds like self serving dribble from one of the few, and ever shrinking people that actually still uses the ferry. "I personally use the ferry a few times a month, so therefore EVERYONE else has to reach into their pocket to pay for it, because I don't want to be inconvenienced."

Again, raising taxes isn't always the correct answer. It's the quick, simple answer but there is much more to the equation than just raising taxes.
If you and the good people of Mayport and Atlantic Beach think it's so easy to run the ferry, and do it without losing money, then take over the operation and run it yourselves. Put your money where your mouth is.

Obviously, it must make sense to some people--even though it makes no sense to you. Deal with it.
Obviously, not enough people, and there are fewer and fewer of thise people each year. Put a fork in this one. It's dead.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
OMG! You're stuck on $4 million repairs. Please, enlighten me. What, exactly, needs repairing which could possibly cost anywhere near that? If they were replacing boats (plural), I could see that but nothing else.

Where did I ever question the ridership decreasing?

Oh and, using your own numbers, assuming 821 cars per ferry transit (they're not all cars, trucks, RVs, motorcyles, bike riders, etc.) let's figure on the $5 average per rider (vehicle). That works out to be $4,105 per day times 365 days equals just under $1.5 million. Ok, I'm not going to say it doesn't cost them that much to run it--I'm sure it costs them more. But, really, how much more does it cost (I don't know). I'd venture to guess it probably loses no more than (and maybe less than) other forms of public transportation (figured as averages). So let's stop this whining about, "It's losing money!!! Oh the horror!!!" It's no different than other government-provided services, they pretty much ALL lose money!

This sounds more and more like you're pissed about something
Get your car tuned up. Come October 1, you'll be getting to know the Dames Point a lot better.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
??? And what FACTS are you using to substantiate the claims of $4 million? I can't help it if you refuse to use common sense.

I'm guessing you've never seen how things like this always get made to look worse than they are (or better) so the people in power get what they want.

You seem to have YOUR panties in an uproar. What's your (personal) beef with the ferry? Why don't you go after the bus system here in Jacksonville? Not like they make money either.
What's the other option for the bus system?

WE HAVE ANOTHER VIABLE OPTION FOR THE FERRY. IT'S A BEAUTIFUL BRIDGE CALLED THE DAMES POINT. AND COME OCTOBER 1, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville