Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Well, it must be a miracle! I'm at The Landing with a friend and it's vibrant! Cross country practicing outside, bike riders, live band setting up, people window shopping, restaurants full, gorgeous weather....

How could this be?

Am I to believe my eyes, or random people on the internet?
Let's translate to FSUlish from English:

1:
FSUlish - I'm at The Landing with a friend and it's vibrant!

translated

English - I'm at The Landing with a friend and there are 10 other people here.

2:
FSUlish - Cross country practicing outside, bike riders, live band setting up, people window shopping, restaurants full, gorgeous weather....

translated

English - A couple of joggers running around, a few people riding bikes around, a guy playing a guitar for money is putting his sign asking for tips out, the (10) people are walking around and have looked at some of the buildings (with windows), restaurants have a few people in them and it's not raining...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Well, it must be a miracle! I'm at The Landing with a friend and it's vibrant! Cross country practicing outside, bike riders, live band setting up, people window shopping, restaurants full, gorgeous weather....

How could this be?

Glad your enjoying the best downtown Jacksonville has to offer

Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Let's translate to FSUlish from English:

1:
FSUlish - I'm at The Landing with a friend and it's vibrant!

translated

English - I'm at The Landing with a friend and there are 10 other people here.

2:
FSUlish - Cross country practicing outside, bike riders, live band setting up, people window shopping, restaurants full, gorgeous weather....

translated

English - A couple of joggers running around, a few people riding bikes around, a guy playing a guitar for money is putting his sign asking for tips out, the (10) people are walking around and have looked at some of the buildings (with windows), restaurants have a few people in them and it's not raining...

: ) Ok.

The 20 minutes wait times at the restuarnts tell a different story though. So do the various live music venues. And having to park 2 city blocks away. Rush Street was packed. Kids with their parents. Etc. We were asked for money by 1 guy. I told him "no", and kept walking. Somehow it didn't ruin my evening.

It's weird how some people just can't accept being wrong. It's ok to be wrong, it happens in life.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:

How could this be?

Cross Country practice? Where exactly are they going to practice cross country downtown at the Landing? For cross country running you actuallt need to run cross country (ie..on grass) not pavement.

Don't believe your eyes, as evidently they are decieving you.

And yet you want people to believe you and all you are is a random person on the internet. Albeit a dysfunctional A*#@ retentive one.

We are just glad you didn't refer to the bikers as participants in the Tour de Fance!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Cross Country practice? Where exactly are they going to practice cross country downtown at the Landing? For cross country running you actuallt need to run cross country (ie..on grass) not pavement.

Don't believe your eyes, as evidently they are decieving you.

And yet you want people to believe you and all you are is a random person on the internet. Albeit a dysfunctional A*#@ retentive one.

We are just glad you didn't refer to the bikers as participants in the Tour de Fance!
Please reference my translation...

Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
somebody will be right in five years, hopefully it will be FSU.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Day two of Landing Watch.

This time for lunch with another friend.

Busy, once again.

I think 1 guy almost asked us for money, but decided not to.

I hadn't eaten there in almost 2 years, but The Village Bread Company is pretty good. I recommend the the ham, bacon, and cheese panini and the Village pizza. Afterwards, we stopped by a sauce, rub, seasoning and olive oil shop and beach-themed gift shop. My friend picked up pretty lame pcture of the lighthouse for his bathroom (not my taste, but hey).

Gorgeous waether to sit outdoors in the shade and overlooking the Andrew Jackson statue.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Day two of Landing Watch.

This time for lunch with another friend.

Busy, once again.

I think 1 guy almost asked us for money, but decided not to.

I hadn't eaten there in almost 2 years, but The Village Bread Company is pretty good. I recommend the the ham, bacon, and cheese panini and the Village pizza. Afterwards, we stopped by a sauce, rub, seasoning and olive oil shop and beach-themed gift shop. My friend picked up pretty lame pcture of the lighthouse for his bathroom (not my taste, but hey).

Gorgeous waether to sit outdoors in the shade and overlooking the Andrew Jackson statue.
Dude get Google Chrome it has a spell check feature which will definitely help convey your faulty message.

BTW ... it's spelled weather!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 PM

I suppose I should take some photos, eh?

Or would they be faked too?

: )

Keep trying guys. Eventaully you'll convince the thousands that visit The Landing everyday to stop enjoying it. Or the buisinesses opening that they should probably just close. Who needs 'em anyways.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM

219 posts, read 510,016 times
Quote:
I suppose I should take some photos, eh?
I would like to see some photos; not because I don't believe you but just because I don't go down there much and would love to find a reason to go back. I want to like the landing, and downtown in general. I really do. Fact is, we've been there twice, both last-summerish and left unimpressed both times. The first time was after dinner across the river. Most things were closed, a couple shops were still open, not many people but also not many beggars. There was some group stretching for something... maybe the same cross country group that you saw. Second time there was a cover band playing '70s rock at some sort of biker convention. Walked into a couple of shops and took off.

Personally, I would look at some place like Cincinnati. On their downtown riverfront they have long green parks within walking distance of the stadiums. Right across the river they have a great little landing style area with an aquarium, movie theaters, shopping, and restaurants. It's by no means impressive, but with little planning you can spend the day there. I just don't know how we can fill more than an evening, including dinner, down there.

In fact, my wife is finally getting back in to town and we'll be looking for some nights out. I'd love it if you'd give us a plan. Nice dinner, shops to hit, things to see. We're not really into the bar scene though so none of that please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville