Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 PM

178 posts, read 326,789 times

Advertisements

I had a friend who owned a beautiful little Westhighland Terrier who not only hated children but eventually attacked her (owner) in the face requiring 200 stitches. That dog would have been approved by my condo association and no problem on insurance policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,878,681 times
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Be honest. Did you choose correctly? I don't have a dog in this fight (ha). We have two beautiful, well-socialized German Shepherd Dogs. Unfortunately, they also routinely make the "dangerous breed" list. "Pitbulls" are the default breed anytime someone is attacked by a dog with a big head. I've been around both pits and American Bull Dogs. I'm not sure I could tell the difference unless they were right next to each other. Unless genetic testing is done after every attack, we have no way of knowing whether or not a pitbull was to blame.

The most dangerous dog is one that has not been properly trained, not been properly socialized, and not been properly cared for. All of those responsibilities fall on the owner. Rather than ban breeds (which won't work), why not hold the owners criminally responsible for any unprovoked attack and any attack (provocted or unprovoked) on a child. I know we already have laws on the books in most states. But they are rarely enforced. And they aren't strong enough. If you own a pit (or any animal) and he kills someone, you go to jail for manslaughter. I think severe penalties would force people to be more careful with training and securing their dogs. And discourage irresponsible owners from even selecting a bully breed.

For what it's worth, our neighbor (before we moved to Florida) had two pits. I never saw even a hint of aggression in them. My youngest wrestled with them, took things out of their mouths, tried to ride them....and the dogs loved it! Pits aren't bred to be human aggressive. It's considered a fault.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

Pits aren't bred to be human aggressive.
Sure.

Paging Michael Vick...

Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,650,333 times
Pit bulls are the only breed which has a history of aggression toward humans being bred OUT of them. Reason? The handlers of dogs which were originally bred to fight other dogs didn't appreciate being bitten themselves. Therefore dogs who nipped at their handlers were put down. There's a terrific documentary on HBO right now called "One Nation Under Dog" ; should be required viewing for anyone who is even thinking of owning any type of dog.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,878,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Sure.

Paging Michael Vick...
Read eureka1'a post. Handlers need to be able to reach into the ring without getting bit. Any human aggression is considered a fault.

I mean this nicely, but please take the time to educate yourself. I don't own pit. But I've been around plenty of them. Michael Vick's dogs were abused. Any abused dog has the potential to become dangerous. You can't chain a dog to a tree, occasionally give him food or water, then expect to have a stable animal. All dogs need training and socialization. The problem is that when a toy poodle bites, the injury is minor and you don't hear anything about it. When a larger dog bites, it usually means a trip to the ER. And the attack is played over and over again on the news.

Just something to think about: The AKC lists pit bulls (a.k.a.American Staffordshire terrier) as one of the best family dogs.
American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier

Also, look at the temperament ratings. The American Pit Bull Terrier scores 86.8. The American Staff Terrier scores 84.2. Compare those scores to a Golden Retriever, considered to be great with kids. The Golden gets a 85.2. That's pretty consistent with the scores of the pits. A Beagle? 80%. Well below the temperament scores of the pits. German Shepherds only get an 84.6, yet they are considered very stable dogs. Old English Sheepdog? 77.1 percent. Those adorable shih Tzus? A dismal 76.2.

Here's the link. You can compare for yourself: ATTS Breed Statistics | American Temperament Test Society, Inc.

I think pit bulls have been over-bred and generally not bred by responsible owners. I also think they get blamed for attacks made by other similar looking dogs. However, I have never met a pitbull that showed even a hint of aggression. Maybe that's because all of the people I know with the Bully Breeds are responsible owners who have taken the time to train and socialize their dogs.

And before someone chimes in with the "locking jaw" nonsense. Bit Pulls don't have anything special about their jaws. They don't even have the strongest bite. That award usually goes to the Mastiff, the Rottie, or the German Shepherd. But it's a function of head size, not breed.

Again, I don't own a pit bull. And honestly, I wouldn't simply because of the liability and stigma. But I think Breed Bands are ridiculous. Both of my German Shepherds have been trained and socialized. My son is using our larger Shepherd as a pillow while he watches television. Neither have shown even a hint of aggression. Would they bite? Of course they would. They are dogs. And all dogs will bite under the right circumstance. They depend on their owners to ensure they aren't put in a position where the dog feels biting is the only way out.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,461,932 times
Quote:
I think pit bulls have been over-bred and generally not bred by responsible owners. I also think they get blamed for attacks made by other similar looking dogs. However, I have never met a pitbull that showed even a hint of aggression. Maybe that's because all of the people I know with the Bully Breeds are responsible owners who have taken the time to train and socialize their dogs.
I couldn't agree more with the above statement.
It's not the dog ... it's the owner and how responsible
they are in training and supervising their dog.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:50 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,280,482 times
You wont be able to rent anywhere decent. May be able to find a place on the Northside, they have lots of pitbulls on chains up there. It's just how it is. Get rid of the dog if you want to live in some place that's not dangerous.

I own 3 rental properties, I dont rent to anyone with ANY dog. If it was a pitbull, I wouldnt even speak to the person. It's just how it is. Too much liability. And dogs **** and **** everywhere, making more for me to fix when you leave.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,576 times
The Reserve at Wynnfield Lakes (off Kernan, near Atlantic) is a very dog-friendly complex that will allow "aggressive" breeds. Very nice complex that were originally built as condos in '08 (or close to it) but now renting them as apartments. Been living here for about 2 years and seems like everyone in my building has a dog. There's plenty of german shepards, pits, rottweilers and chows around that don't give anyone issues at this complex

Old 07-07-2012, 08:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,955 times
Quote:
Read eureka1'a post. Handlers need to be able to reach into the ring without getting bit. Any human aggression is considered a fault.

I mean this nicely, but please take the time to educate yourself. I don't own pit. But I've been around plenty of them. Michael Vick's dogs were abused. Any abused dog has the potential to become dangerous. You can't chain a dog to a tree, occasionally give him food or water, then expect to have a stable animal. All dogs need training and socialization. The problem is that when a toy poodle bites, the injury is minor and you don't hear anything about it. When a larger dog bites, it usually means a trip to the ER. And the attack is played over and over again on the news.

Just something to think about: The AKC lists pit bulls (a.k.a.American Staffordshire terrier) as one of the best family dogs.
American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier

Also, look at the temperament ratings. The American Pit Bull Terrier scores 86.8. The American Staff Terrier scores 84.2. Compare those scores to a Golden Retriever, considered to be great with kids. The Golden gets a 85.2. That's pretty consistent with the scores of the pits. A Beagle? 80%. Well below the temperament scores of the pits. German Shepherds only get an 84.6, yet they are considered very stable dogs. Old English Sheepdog? 77.1 percent. Those adorable shih Tzus? A dismal 76.2.

Here's the link. You can compare for yourself: ATTS Breed Statistics | American Temperament Test Society, Inc.

And before someone chimes in with the "locking jaw" nonsense. Bit Pulls don't have anything special about their jaws. They don't even have the strongest bite. That award usually goes to the Mastiff, the Rottie, or the German Shepherd. But it's a function of head size, not breed.

Again, I don't own a pit bull. And honestly, I wouldn't simply because of the liability and stigma. But I think Breed Bands are ridiculous. Both of my German Shepherds have been trained and socialized. My son is using our larger Shepherd as a pillow while he watches television. Neither have shown even a hint of aggression. Would they bite? Of course they would. They are dogs. And all dogs will bite under the right circumstance. They depend on their owners to ensure they aren't put in a position where the dog feels biting is the only way out.
A: Bless your heart.

B: I'll still follow the guidelines put forth by those who assess & manage risk professionally vs. some pro-dog groups, since they determine my insurance rates...not the AKC.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrakoczy View Post
The Reserve at Wynnfield Lakes (off Kernan, near Atlantic) is a very dog-friendly complex that will allow "aggressive" breeds. Very nice complex that were originally built as condos in '08 (or close to it) but now renting them as apartments. Been living here for about 2 years and seems like everyone in my building has a dog. There's plenty of german shepards, pits, rottweilers and chows around that don't give anyone issues at this complex
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
No complex will allow pitbulls unless it's some ghetto northside section 8 ****hole
He is living there your not, who's statement do you think is more believable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville