Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:34 AM

38 posts, read 53,718 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the major differences between St. John's County and Clay County? We are relocating to the Jax/St. Aug/St. John's area in the next year with 2 small children, and planning to put them in public schools (hence why St. John's appeals to us). Seems like you can get more for your $ in Clay? We recently spent time down there but the area is so big I am overwhelmed and confused. (and my realtor is out of the country)

Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:27 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinergirl View Post
Can anyone tell me the major differences between St. John's County and Clay County? We are relocating to the Jax/St. Aug/St. John's area in the next year with 2 small children, and planning to put them in public schools (hence why St. John's appeals to us). Seems like you can get more for your $ in Clay? We recently spent time down there but the area is so big I am overwhelmed and confused. (and my realtor is out of the country)

Thank you in advance!!!
St. John's County is much better for a lot of reasons, but when comparing specifically to Clay county, I would say location would be the #1 reason. The traffic to get in and out of that county is horrific. The traffic in the county itself isn't much better. It's also much farther away from most everything, like the beach, popular shopping, etc. Some may not agree, but the "clientele" of residents there are going to be a rung below what you typically find in St. John's county as well. Just my opinion. I would never live in Clay county.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 AM

38 posts, read 53,718 times
Okay - that is helpful. These are the things I don't know - and need to ask the experts in the area!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:12 PM

67 posts, read 107,974 times
In spite of what others feel to berate Clay County it is hardly a rung below. Many fine military and good people live here and there is a reason why so many people live here.

We know people who have sold their homes in Ponte Vedra to move to Clay County because of corrosion issues, insurance/tax rates and because of the value they can obtain on a home, especially in the Gated/Golf Communities.

They are working on traffic solutions all over the Jax area and there is no traffic in this area that even compares to traffic in such areas as Atlanta on any scale. Traffic is hardly horrific as I drive from Clay to downtown Jax every day for over 20 years and the traffic is getting better due to the traffic/road improvements being made.

Land in Clay County is mostly high and dry. Watch during a tropical storm/flooding where residents who live east of the St John's river evacuate to.

As a resident of Clay County I guess I'll stay a rung below here in the comforts of my 3200 SF plus 4 car garage home watching the golfers out my wall of windows getting ready to tee off. lol..

Last edited by sidewinder103; 06-10-2015 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 12:48 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder103 View Post
In spite of what others feel to berate Clay County it is hardly a rung below. Many fine military and good people live here and there is a reason why so many people live here.

We know people who have sold their homes in Ponte Vedra to move to Clay County because of corrosion issues, insurance/tax rates and because of the value they can obtain on a home, especially in the Gated/Golf Communities.

They are working on traffic solutions all over the Jax area and there is no traffic in this area that even compares to traffic in such areas as Atlanta on any scale. Traffic is hardly horrific as I drive from Clay to downtown Jax every day for over 20 years and the traffic is getting better due to the traffic/road improvements being made.

Land in Clay County is mostly high and dry. Watch during a tropical storm/flooding where residents who live east of the St John's river evacuate to.

As a resident of Clay County I guess I'll stay a rung below here in the comforts of my 3200 SF plus 4 car garage home watching the golfers out my wall of windows getting ready to tee off. lol..
I don't think the poster meant that in a malicious way but maybe people living in St. Johns County are more upper middle class vs Clay County which might be lower middle class.

Last edited by Fl1150; 06-11-2015 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 01:02 PM

403 posts, read 935,241 times
I just moved to Fleming Island in Clay County and love it so far. I don't think I am a "rung below" anyone in St. Johns. We have two small kids and plan to put them in the elementary schools. If for some reason, they are not up to par, there are some private schools we can look into. But I have not heard anything bad about the schools and all of my neighbors seem to love the area. A lot of our neighbors work at NAS either as civilians or military. Where will you be working OP? That could help you decide which side of the bridge you want to live on. That was the deciding factor for us.

Although I agree that St. Johns is closer to the beaches and the Town Center mall, I think there is an illusion that fleming island is so far out there but I think it is only because if you want to go anywhere, you have to cross a bridge. The bridges are just like regular roads. If it didn't go over water, I don't think anyone would think anything about it??? People do tend to stay on the island when shopping. The island seems to have everything except a Lowes (there is a Home Depot), drive through Starbucks, Babiesrus/Toysrus. Those are the things I have been missing. But they are a short drive away in Orange Park. I drove to a few malls in Jax (Avenues and Orange Park) and do not find them worth it so I doubt I would have been going to them even if we lived across the street from them. I think St. John's Town Center is great but it would be quite a drive from parts of St. John's too.

As far as traffic, there is def a lot on 17. Heck the entire Jacksonville area seems to have a lot of congestion. But it is nothing like Phila traffic so it does not bother me. I have not sat in any traffic jams yet although I'm sure one accident could change that.

The beach is less than an hour away from us. We took a quick trip to Jax Beach the other morning. Stayed for a walk and quick breakfast and then headed home. We were back by the time the kids had to nap at 12:30.

When we were house hunting, we looked in St. Johns and originally thought we would buy there because we liked the idea of being in the best schools in Florida. But it felt less inviting and more stepford wives to me. It seemed less of a community. I think FI felt more like a small town and down to earth but not trashy at all. The teenagers are all so polite and friendly. They seem to like it here but do say it is boring.

Of course, a lot of this is relative. I came from outside of Phila where my commute was an hour, there was a lot of traffic, we had to drive everywhere, and the beaches were over 2 hours away. So Fleming Island has significantly improved our life style quite a bit.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I just moved to Fleming Island in Clay County and love it so far. I don't think I am a "rung below" anyone in St. Johns. We have two small kids and plan to put them in the elementary schools. If for some reason, they are not up to par, there are some private schools we can look into. But I have not heard anything bad about the schools and all of my neighbors seem to love the area. A lot of our neighbors work at NAS either as civilians or military. Where will you be working OP? That could help you decide which side of the bridge you want to live on. That was the deciding factor for us.

Although I agree that St. Johns is closer to the beaches and the Town Center mall, I think there is an illusion that fleming island is so far out there but I think it is only because if you want to go anywhere, you have to cross a bridge. The bridges are just like regular roads. If it didn't go over water, I don't think anyone would think anything about it??? People do tend to stay on the island when shopping. The island seems to have everything except a Lowes (there is a Home Depot), drive through Starbucks, Babiesrus/Toysrus. Those are the things I have been missing. But they are a short drive away in Orange Park. I drove to a few malls in Jax (Avenues and Orange Park) and do not find them worth it so I doubt I would have been going to them even if we lived across the street from them. I think St. John's Town Center is great but it would be quite a drive from parts of St. John's too.

As far as traffic, there is def a lot on 17. Heck the entire Jacksonville area seems to have a lot of congestion. But it is nothing like Phila traffic so it does not bother me. I have not sat in any traffic jams yet although I'm sure one accident could change that.

The beach is less than an hour away from us. We took a quick trip to Jax Beach the other morning. Stayed for a walk and quick breakfast and then headed home. We were back by the time the kids had to nap at 12:30.

When we were house hunting, we looked in St. Johns and originally thought we would buy there because we liked the idea of being in the best schools in Florida. But it felt less inviting and more stepford wives to me. It seemed less of a community. I think FI felt more like a small town and down to earth but not trashy at all. The teenagers are all so polite and friendly. They seem to like it here but do say it is boring.

Of course, a lot of this is relative. I came from outside of Phila where my commute was an hour, there was a lot of traffic, we had to drive everywhere, and the beaches were over 2 hours away. So Fleming Island has significantly improved our life style quite a bit.
I'm glad you like where you live and hope you continue to have good experiences.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:35 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Fleming Island is nice and has a great deal of upper middle class.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:37 PM

403 posts, read 935,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I'm glad you like where you live and hope you continue to have good experiences.
Thanks! I'm sure reality will hit and the negatives will start to creep out. So far the weather is not bothering me but the bugs...OMG!!!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:06 PM

297 posts, read 573,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I don't think the poster meant that in a malicious way but maybe people living in St. Johns County are more upper middle class vs Clay County which might be lower middle class.
This isn't the first time SaintCabbage has insulted the people who live in Clay County. In this thread he claimed "Fleming Island seems far from everything except car dealerships and congestion on Blanding. Essentially 1 way in, 1 way out, and the caliber of people over there seems a little less than those on the other side of the bridge." (BTW, the remark about car dealerships and Blanding isn't even true.) For some reason, he feels superior to people who live here and wants everyone to know it. Reminds me of my narcissistic ex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Fleming Island is nice and has a great deal of upper middle class.
Very true. I'm sure the people living in the million dollar+ lake- and riverfront homes would be amused at being called "a rung below" those living in St. Johns County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville